bradoony

Married on a Tourist Visa

162 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, bradoony said:

ignore my second question - I'm stupid when I'm tired. correct answer is 2a.

Haha no worries. I answered that and the question about the I-797

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 hours ago, bradoony said:

I need some documents translated from Bulgarian to English. Does anybody know any good document translation services online??

Anyone who is fluent in both languages can translate a document.  Just make sure you include the required certification statement.

Certification by Translator

I, [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in English and [foreign language], and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled [name of document].

Signature_________________________________
[Date]
[Typed Name]
[Address]

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 hours ago, ra0010 said:

Form I-797 is the notice of receipt that USCIS sends to the applicant once they have received the application. It has the case number, which you will use to track the status of your case. You don't have one yet; they just mention it because some people send the I-130 form prior to sending the I-485, and have to attach a copy of that form. But since you're filling I-130 and I-485 concurrently, you still don't have that form so no worries about it.

Form I-485 is for your spouse to complete. She's the applicant or beneficiary. So on part 2, item 1 "I am filing this form as a PRINCIPAL APPLICANT"

Part 2, question 2a immediate relative spouse of a US citizen. (you are the US citizen and she's your spouse, so this is the option you need to select)

that is so helpful thank you so much

17 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Anyone who is fluent in both languages can translate a document.  Just make sure you include the required certification statement.

Certification by Translator

I, [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in English and [foreign language], and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled [name of document].

Signature_________________________________
[Date]
[Typed Name]
[Address]

really? i wasn't aware of that? So can my wife translate her own documents?

Timeline
50 minutes ago, bradoony said:

On the translation part, this is what I found doing some internet research:

Although the current immigration law allows you or your spouse to be your own translators — if you can certify that you are truly competent in both languages — the decision to accept a certified English translation is always at the discretion of the immigration officer reviewing your documents. It is therefore a good idea to seek the help of a professional translation service or a friend or family member with such experience to avoid any delays or complications with your marriage-based green card application.

it seems to me that she can translate her own birth certificate, and then have it certify and notarized. This is purely personal opinion, but for peace of mind we paid a certified translator to do it, and he had it notarized. Usually there are translators that you can find online, and they have notarizing services. And they are not that expensive. We paid USD15 for ours, and it was worth it because of our peace of mind. Like I said, I don't want to be negative, but birth certificates are one of the main reasons to get a RFE and delay the process. I wouldn't risk it 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
4 hours ago, bradoony said:

Yes, you can translate your own documents.  There is no requirement for notarization.  The statement as I posted is the certification statement required by USCIS.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Also, I know you didn't ask for it, but when we were preparing our packet we focused not only on the forms themselves, but also on the presentation. You want to make your package complete yet simple enough to save the officers some time navigation through it (though once you send it, sit tight and wait...😂😂😂). Here's what we did:

- we wrote a general cover letter for the whole package, stating our names and the reason for applying, and which forms were included. There are templates online and on YouTube.

- For each form, we also included a cover letter with a bullet list of the documents included (form and supporting documents). This is especially useful for you, because it gives you the chance to check whether you included all the documents you were supposed to. Make sure each form is current date, and that they are signed.

- Do not staple each form. I read that it makes it harder for the officers. Instead, do two punch holes on top of each of them, and clip them with butterfly clips.

- Label each supporting document in each of the forms with a side tab. That and the cover letter makes it easier for them to navigate.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

2 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Yes, you can translate your own documents.  There is no requirement for notarization.  The statement as I posted is the certification statement......

I have to go do the medical exam somewhere near me and the doctor office said they need a vaccination report from her home country. Can we also translate the vaccination report and provide it to the doctors with that same for you just posted?

3 hours ago, ra0010 said:

On the translation part, this is what I found doing some internet research:

Although the current immigration law allows you or your spouse to be your own translators — if you can certify that you are truly competent in both languages — the decision to accept a certified English translation is always at the discretion of the immigration officer reviewing your documents. It is therefore a good idea to seek the help of a professional translation service or a friend or family member with such experience to avoid any delays or complications with your marriage-based green card application.

it seems to me that she can translate her own birth certificate, and then have it certify and notarized. This is purely personal opinion, but for peace of mind we paid a certified translator to do it, and he had it notarized. Usually there are translators that you can find online, and they have notarizing services. And they are not that expensive. We paid USD15 for ours, and it was worth it because of our peace of mind. Like I said, I don't want to be negative, but birth certificates are one of the main reasons to get a RFE and delay the process. I wouldn't risk it 

Awesome!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, bradoony said:

I have to go do the medical exam somewhere near me and the doctor office said they need a vaccination report from her home country. Can we also translate the vaccination report and provide it to the doctors with that same for you just posted?

My post refers to USCIS requirements.  The doctor might require something else.

3 hours ago, ra0010 said:

Also, I know you didn't ask for it, but when we were preparing our packet we focused not only on the forms themselves, but also on the presentation. You want to make your package complete yet simple enough to save the officers some time navigation through it (though once you send it, sit tight and wait...😂😂😂). Here's what we did:

- we wrote a general cover letter for the whole package, stating our names and the reason for applying, and which forms were included. There are templates online and on YouTube.

- For each form, we also included a cover letter with a bullet list of the documents included (form and supporting documents). This is especially useful for you, because it gives you the chance to check whether you included all the documents you were supposed to. Make sure each form is current date, and that they are signed.

- Do not staple each form. I read that it makes it harder for the officers. Instead, do two punch holes on top of each of them, and clip them with butterfly clips.

- Label each supporting document in each of the forms with a side tab. That and the cover letter makes it easier for them to navigate.

I will most definitely be doing that. Thank you very much :) . When you were providing evidence of your relationship, regarding the affidavits of people you know: Is it better to get affidavit from citizens/people that live here? Also how many affidavits did you provide?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, bradoony said:

I will most definitely be doing that. Thank you very much :) . When you were providing evidence of your relationship, regarding the affidavits of people you know: Is it better to get affidavit from citizens/people that live here? Also how many affidavits did you provide?

About the evidence of the relationship, we didn't include much in the initial package other than what they strictly ask for (marriage certificate and bank statements and that was it). Our reasoning was that we were going to show our evidence of bona fide marriage at the interview. However, our interview got waived and after we sent our documents via mail to the field office, the case was approved. We were lucky!

My husband is the USC and I am the applicant. For the interview we did ask two friends of my husband (who are also Americans) to write is one affidavit each. They don't need to be notarized, but they need to be sworn under penalty of perjury, and signed. My mom lives in my home country and she wrote us one as well, because I thought it would be important for the USCIS to see that my family knew about the relationship. 

You can get templates of said affidavits online. Just Google green card affidavit of support, and you'll find some. If not, if you give me your email address I can send you mine (with names deleted)

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
44 minutes ago, bradoony said:

Also how many affidavits did you provide?

Be aware that affidavits carry very little weight........Anyone can obtain an affidavit to say anything........remember that quality is much better than quantity.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

Be aware that affidavits carry very little weight........Anyone can obtain an affidavit to say anything........remember that quality is much better than quantity.

I don't think they carry little weight. When they sent me the RFE of bona fide marriage, the letter said:

Provide the following:

- Joint bank account statements, mortgages, tax returns.

- Birth certificates of any children born into your relationship

Or

-Affidavits of support (and then a text explaining their format)

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Affidavits have long been noted as potential evidence to provide. Their value, however, is the question.

From a practical standpoint, has anybody ever provided an affidavit from somebody else that claims fraud or negative factors? Maybe it's happened, but no rational person would knowingly include any such affidavit.

If one can only provide positive evidence and there is no means to question or challenge any claims, what value could it possibly provide?

If there was actually marriage fraud involved, either the people writing them would likely have no clue or they would be in on it. In both cases, I can't imagine it pushing the needle in either direction in a meaningful way.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
2 hours ago, bradoony said:

If you have a lease or something with both names showing that you live together that would be good. I sent quite a bit of stuff. Lease, both of our name on car insurance, him as a beneficiary on my life insurance, tickets of events we went to together, bank statement, my official name change. I attached the medical and dental insurance on the i 944. I am the USC.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Affidavits have long been noted as potential evidence to provide. Their value, however, is the question.

From a practical standpoint, has anybody ever provided an affidavit from somebody else that claims fraud or negative factors? Maybe it's happened, but no rational person would knowingly include any such affidavit.

If one can only provide positive evidence and there is no means to question or challenge any claims, what value could it possibly provide?

If there was actually marriage fraud involved, either the people writing them would likely have no clue or they would be in on it. In both cases, I can't imagine it pushing the needle in either direction in a meaningful way.

You're right. I am just saying that in my case, they asked me for one or the other. Regardless, we sent a myriad of relevant documents, among which were the affidavits. We sent the lease, joint bank account statements, tax returns, car/ health insurance, DL with both our names on it, marriage certificate, wedding and everyday pictures. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.