13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So once again, the government has messed up on the spelling of my husband's name on his NOA1 and on his EAD card. When he first entered the US they put his first and middle name together as his first name and now they spelled his middle as Brain instead of Brian. We never caught it until today when he went in to take his Idaho written driver's test. Do I email USCIS or call them to have this fixed?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Pooley said:

So once again, the government has messed up on the spelling of my husband's name on his NOA1 and on his EAD card. When he first entered the US they put his first and middle name together as his first name and now they spelled his middle as Brain instead of Brian. We never caught it until today when he went in to take his Idaho written driver's test. Do I email USCIS or call them to have this fixed?

You need to send it back with proof of the real name and they will replace the card. The letter of approval (or the one that came with the card, not sure) tells you where to send the card to get it fixed. It happened to me back in January and it took 1.5 months to get the new card in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pooley said:

USCIS SAYS:

If your EAD contains incorrect information because of a USCIS error, we will make the appropriate correction at no additional cost to you. In these cases, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or a filing fee. Instead, you must submit:

• The original card containing the error,
  • A detailed explanation of the card error, and
  • Supporting documentation on the correct information. 

Submit this information to the service center or National Benefit Center that approved your latest Form I-765.

In either case, if we receive your application or request for a replacement EAD and you no longer have any basis for applying for an EAD or employment authorization, we will not return the card and will notify you that you do not have a current basis for applying for an EAD or employment authorization.

Reference https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/employment-authorization-document

Of course, then he will once again not have an actual card to show until they process a replacement. It won’t happen quickly. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

USCIS SAYS:

If your EAD contains incorrect information because of a USCIS error, we will make the appropriate correction at no additional cost to you. In these cases, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or a filing fee. Instead, you must submit:

• The original card containing the error,
  • A detailed explanation of the card error, and
  • Supporting documentation on the correct information. 

Submit this information to the service center or National Benefit Center that approved your latest Form I-765.

In either case, if we receive your application or request for a replacement EAD and you no longer have any basis for applying for an EAD or employment authorization, we will not return the card and will notify you that you do not have a current basis for applying for an EAD or employment authorization.

Reference https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/employment-authorization-document

Of course, then he will once again not have an actual card to show until they process a replacement. It won’t happen quickly. 

So I just took a copy of my husband's EAD card and they only put an initial instead of his full name. The only thing that has it spelled incorrectly in the I-797. Do I actually need to send the card back or just have them redo the I-797? I don't know if the gal at the driver's license place is right or not, but they stated they could not put his name on his drivers license the correct way, even though he showed them his social security card  and birth certificate, that they could only go off what the I-797 showed.

Filed: Timeline

LOL so his name is A. Brain Smith?  I guess that makes you Pinky (Pinky and the Brain)

Anyway you have to send the card back and it can take them a while to send you a replacement... Every DMV is different depending on where you live but in general they use a system to verify immigration status in a database. The spelling must be exact for it to give confirmation. They need the confirmation.  

How important is it for him to drive right now? Cause your options are 1- wait for the replacement which at its worst will be several months 2- go back to the DMV to the girl who was going to give him the license and get it, let him be Brain for a while. When the replacement comes go back to DMV and be prepared to wait several hours for them to correct it or 3- pretty much number 2 except check with the girl or her supervisor to see if they are actually able to give him a Brain DL (because usually they want all names to match or have some kind of name change documentation about the mismatch) and if they can and do would it be a lot of trouble to correct it. Maybe taking a misprinted DL now would cause more issues then its worth.  

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

LOL so his name is A. Brain Smith?  I guess that makes you Pinky (Pinky and the Brain)

Anyway you have to send the card back and it can take them a while to send you a replacement... Every DMV is different depending on where you live but in general they use a system to verify immigration status in a database. The spelling must be exact for it to give confirmation. They need the confirmation.  

How important is it for him to drive right now? Cause your options are 1- wait for the replacement which at its worst will be several months 2- go back to the DMV to the girl who was going to give him the license and get it, let him be Brain for a while. When the replacement comes go back to DMV and be prepared to wait several hours for them to correct it or 3- pretty much number 2 except check with the girl or her supervisor to see if they are actually able to give him a Brain DL (because usually they want all names to match or have some kind of name change documentation about the mismatch) and if they can and do would it be a lot of trouble to correct it. Maybe taking a misprinted DL now would cause more issues then its worth.  

Sorry, they didn't spell out his full middle name. Just put his middle initial. Lol.. But yes, he's like Pinky and the Brain 😆.So technically, his EAD is correct, only the I-797  paper is wrong but that's the only one they'll use for his name. I was hoping I would just have to send in his I-797 back and say fix it and just keep the card since the card is correct.

They will only accept the I-797, but not the card? That's really strange... normally one only needs the physical card.

DMVs....ugh. Welcome to the US.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

They will only accept the I-797, but not the card? That's really strange... normally one only needs the physical card.

DMVs....ugh. Welcome to the US.

That was my thought as well. He brought in his social, his birth certificate and they still didn't accept that for the spelling. I think it's all silly and a waste of time and I might talk to the supervisor to see if the other stuff will suffice. I did notice that everything just has his first name and then middle initial. The I-797 form is the only document sent from USCIS with his middle name spelled out fully and of course they would get it wrong!

Edited by Pooley

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pooley said:

That was my thought as well. He brought in his social, his birth certificate and they still didn't accept that for the spelling. I think it's all silly and a waste of time and I might talk to the supervisor to see if the other stuff will suffice. I did notice that everything just has his first name and then middle initial. The I-797 form is the only document sent from USCIS with his middle name spelled out fully and of course they would get it wrong!

So the name on the card is correct? But it only shows an initial for the middle name? 

I doubt they will fix the card for that. They do that all the time. Even Americans not always have their middle name on IDs. 

What I-797 are you talking about. The one for the 485? Check your DMV rules, the EAD should be enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Pooley said:

So I just took a copy of my husband's EAD card and they only put an initial instead of his full name. The only thing that has it spelled incorrectly in the I-797. Do I actually need to send the card back or just have them redo the I-797? I don't know if the gal at the driver's license place is right or not, but they stated they could not put his name on his drivers license the correct way, even though he showed them his social security card  and birth certificate, that they could only go off what the I-797 showed.

His card is fine with only the initial. Keep it.  I don’t think they will replace it since there is no misspelling on it. Mine was the same with the initial. My DMV uses the SAVE database just like Social Security does and won’t approve with showing the card. They check SAVE. My USCIS record in SAVE, based on EAD approval, was middle initial so the DMV had to match and put the middle initial on my driver licence.

I don’t know why you would want to get the I797 NOA1 replaced. It’s just a receipt.  I looked up IDAHO and it says to get the realID licence you will need to bring—-

Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766 or I-688B. (Must be accompanied by an unexpired Foreign passport) If a passport is unavailable, the customer needs to call ITD to discuss an exception process.

It also says they use the SAVE system.

The Idaho Transportation Department uses SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) to verify immigration status. If your personal information has changed or if the information on your immigration document is not correct, you will need to correct your immigration records.”

So I think his card is correct. It has his correct name with initial. They should look him up in SAVE and issue the licence in the name USCIS has in the system, which is probably not full name.  Show them their website requires the EAD card and says nothing about using the receipt of applying for the card (I-797). 
website—  https://itd.idaho.gov/StarCard/add-the-star-tool-01.html

My driver licence had my middle initial until I took in my naturalisation certificate which had all names spelled out. They checked SAVE and issued a new licence with all names spelled out.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Highly unlikely USCIS will fix the receipt mistake as you just found it now and his actual card is correct. You need to go back to the DMV it appears they are incorrect - you do not need the receipt; the valid EAD will suffice. Whether his EAD has his full middle name or middle initial doesn’t make a difference. Most documents won’t list your middle name. If they argue with you show them the requirements from the CA DMV website and ask for a supervisor. 

https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/your-real-id-checklist/

I’m more surprised your DMV has been open- I’ve been driving around with an expired license because I can’t get it renewed.

EDIT- opps thought you were from CA. Look up the Idaho site but the requirements for a REAL ID are universal.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
On 5/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, HRQX said:

On the back of the EAD, is it just middle intial or "Brain"? For example, below the middle name is "Void"

EAD_Current_Front_Zoom.jpg

EAD_Current_Back_Zoom.jpg

It is just his middle initial. But I went through the rest of our paperwork and found noa1's with his full middle name that is spelled correctly so I'll see if that will work. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.