J&S12

July Interview Dates Open for London

348 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Melc said:

Thanks! Just very basic questions: 

* how I'd met my husband
* where his family lives
* whether I/we would have health insurance. (they appear to be asking this question to everyone now)

They did not ask for the public charge form, but I had it prepared just in case. They were asking everyone about how people will get healthcare though. 

Thanks!! I am! 😄 

My main advice is, at this point, don't bother trying to bring your spouse with you. All the US spouses had to wait outside in the cold, because they haven't been updating the visitors lists. 

Congrats Melc, this is great news! Out of interest: did you provide a copy of your USC spouse's most recent tax transcript (I know the London Embassy have been funny about this in the past) or did a tax return suffice?

9 minutes ago, os306 said:

Congrats Melc, this is great news! Out of interest: did you provide a copy of your USC spouse's most recent tax transcript (I know the London Embassy have been funny about this in the past) or did a tax return suffice?

Thanks! Great question: They asked for the most recent transcript.

When I mentioned all I was able to get was the return since the IRS isn't processing paper filed returns at this stage, they happily took the tax return (1040 etc.) instead. 

Edited by Melc

Just now, Melc said:

Thanks! Great question: They asked for the most recent transcript.

When I mentioned all I was able to get was the return since the IRS isn't processing paper filed returns at this stage, they happily took the tax return (1040 etc.) instead. 

Fantastic. Thanks for clarifying. Another question I had was: did they ask for any evidence that your spouse was going to re-establish domicile? I know London is pretty relaxed about this, but others have brought evidence like an unexpired US driving license, voting record etc. I think I already know the answer (i.e., you weren't asked about this) but wanted to be sure.

Just now, os306 said:

Fantastic. Thanks for clarifying. Another question I had was: did they ask for any evidence that your spouse was going to re-establish domicile? I know London is pretty relaxed about this, but others have brought evidence like an unexpired US driving license, voting record etc. I think I already know the answer (i.e., you weren't asked about this) but wanted to be sure.

No problem! Happy to help. 

You're correct, they did not ask for any evidence. I'd read similar reports and so, just in case, had also brought a copy of a driving licence and voters registration, but there was no mention of it. 
If anything, they made an effort to take as few documents as possible. 

I had assumed I wouldn't have to bring photocopies, since I'd heard about them scanning it all. This might be the NVC procedure, because I was asked for photocopies of all civil documents & police certificates too. This might be a DCF thing? 

Congrats @Melc I felt really rubbish today cuz I'm one of those waiting for my LND number and I was upset all day thinking this is never going to happen but the fact you've actually been to a normal, non-emergency visa appointment has really cheered up! I'm genuinely really happy for you, glad all is approved and you're a step closer to being in the US. 

p.s. when did you get your case number? before lockdown?

Edited by Gaz1a

10 minutes ago, Gaz1a said:

Congrats @Melc I felt really rubbish today cuz I'm one of those waiting for my LND number and I was upset all day thinking this is never going to happen but the fact you've actually been to a normal, non-emergency visa appointment has really cheered up! I'm genuinely really happy for you, glad all is approved and you're a step closer to being in the US. 

p.s. when did you get your case number? before lockdown?

Thank you!! I’m glad it managed to cheer you up!

Yes, I got the number before lockdown. We were waiting until our 2nd anniversary to go direct to the 10-year greencard.  

With Covid everything was pushed back a bit further, but I did both the medical and now the interview during Covid. As soon as you have the number, you should be all set! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Melc said:

Yes, I got the number before lockdown. We were waiting until our 2nd anniversary to go direct to the 10-year greencard.  

Did you get assigned the number by email or postal letter? Whichever it was, did it come direct from the London Immigrant visa unit? 

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Did you get assigned the number by email or postal letter? Whichever it was, did it come direct from the London Immigrant visa unit? 

It came directly from the IV unit by letter. The letter never arrived for me, so I reached out to the IV unit through the contact form about a month after I received the USCIS approval by email. They then followed up with my LDN number by email. 

That was last summer, though, and pre-COVID. We delayed to go straight to the 10-year GC. 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Melc said:

It came directly from the IV unit by letter. The letter never arrived for me, so I reached out to the IV unit through the contact form about a month after I received the USCIS approval by email. They then followed up with my LDN number by email. 

That was last summer, though, and pre-COVID. We delayed to go straight to the 10-year GC. 

I thought it was supposed to be by postal mail, but just wanted to confirm.

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I thought it was supposed to be by postal mail, but just wanted to confirm.

Yep! Supposed to be by snail mail. However, even back then a lot of us that filed at around the same time had issues getting our number, with lots of them not arriving. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
10 hours ago, Melc said:

I can confirm that I just had my normal, non-emergency, IR-1 interview today and was approved. 

The other people all seemed to be there as either spouses or children of USCs. 

So routine visa services have resumed for those categories as least, it seems. 

How will you enter into the US with the travel ban still in place?

3 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

The travel ban does not apply to immediate family members of US citizens. As my visa category is the US spousal visa, all of us are exempt anyway. 

Edited by Melc

Timeline
Just now, remotercharm said:

Spouse’s of USCs are exempt from ban. Watch the profiles when people post or you’ll get confused.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Melc said:

The travel ban does not apply to immediate family members of US citizens. As my visa category is the US spousal visa, all of us are exempt anyway. 

Oh right.  Okay that gives me less hope that they will process k1s since the travel ban does apply to fiances :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.