RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 hour ago, Deoiel said:

Lmao can you just stop being such a bummer everytime we're looking for some hope?

Those news actually made my day better!! So thank you for sharing @dpnce 💕

I don't think I'm being unrealistic. Hope is fine, but I'm not not going to point out the horrible reality in which we currently live. If I'm right I don't really lose anything, if I am wrong it's good news and everyone's happy. If you're too hopeful and things don't go well, you'll still end up disappointed and sad. Clearly my view is the more positive one in the long run.

Besides, the reason he ended up restricting travel from the entire Schengen area is because travel between Schengen countries was super easy. I really can't see him opening up countries based on local numbers if the local numbers didn't really matter when it came to putting the ban in place.

Edited by sl1pstream

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
34 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

I don't think I'm being unrealistic. Hope is fine, but I'm not not going to point out the horrible reality in which we currently live. If I'm right I don't really lose anything, if I am wrong it's good news and everyone's happy. If you're too hopeful and things don't go well, you'll still end up disappointed and sad. Clearly my view is the more positive one in the long run.

Besides, the reason he ended up restricting travel from the entire Schengen area is because travel between Schengen countries was super easy. I really can't see him opening up countries based on local numbers if the local numbers didn't really matter when it came to putting the ban in place.

I understand what you meant. Each and everyone one of us have different ways of addressing a situation/an issue e.g. some would have a "positive mind" (with the risk of being disillusioned) towards it, while others would work with a "negative mind" to avoid being disappointed and sad. This is just how different personalities can be so we're good! :) 

I believe both local numbers and the freedom of movement between Schengen States mattered, at least from my personal understanding of these sentences in the Proclamation: "As of March 11, 2020, the number of cases in the 26 Schengen Area countries is 17,442, with 711 deaths, and shows high continuous growth in infection rates.  In total, as of March 9, 2020, the Schengen Area has exported 201 COVID-19 cases to 53 countries.  Moreover, the free flow of people between the Schengen Area countries makes the task of managing the spread of the virus difficult.In any case, we shall see! 

Edited by dpnce

4 hours ago, Robin Redemsky said:

I just called the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC and I was told unless you have to go to Mexico for a medical emergency (citizens only) or you’re there for work, you’re not considered essential and therefore they won’t let you in. I asked about certain regions opening up and she said that’s only for certain travelers, not European ones. I know someone here was able to get to the US thru Mexico, but it sounds like it’s not possible to go to Mexico right now.

I contacted the Mexican embassy in the Netherlands and they said there's no travel restrictions, they only advise people not to make non-essential travel

IMG_20200522_100729.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

I contacted the Mexican embassy in the Netherlands and they said there's no travel restrictions, they only advise people not to make non-essential travel

IMG_20200522_100729.png

Would staying for 14 days to quarantine be considered non essential? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 hours ago, Robin Redemsky said:

Then how are people getting in to quarantine?!

There are no travel restrictions for air borders. It has all been explained in this forum.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

There are no travel restrictions for air borders. It has all been explained in this forum.

Yep

2 hours ago, Robin Redemsky said:

Then how are people getting in to quarantine?!

Hotel, Airbnb 

13 hours ago, Ja3germeister said:

I did it! I booked my flight to Mexico as well. June 4th from Amsterdam to Mexico-City, staying in an Airbnb in Polanco, flying out June 19th to Florida. Anybody that will be in Mexico-City during those days, hit me up because I for sure am going to be bored :)

Hey I will be. I am flying from Paris arriving in Mexico City on 3rd June and got an apartment in Polanco too. Staying there until 10th June, then flying to Cancun since hotels are officially opening up on 8th-10th June. My fiance will meet me there then we fly to Salt Lake City on 18th June, connecting in Dallas. 🙂

Timeline
44 minutes ago, RFOM said:

Hey I will be. I am flying from Paris arriving in Mexico City on 3rd June and got an apartment in Polanco too. Staying there until 10th June, then flying to Cancun since hotels are officially opening up on 8th-10th June. My fiance will meet me there then we fly to Salt Lake City on 18th June, connecting in Dallas. 🙂

I have the same exact dates planned !!!! So cool we’re are you staying in Cancun?

18 minutes ago, Ela S. said:

Great news!! So the couple that flew from Mexico City to Miami with an eb-3 visa entered the US without a problem!! They said they only got asked where they were coming from and how many days they were in Mexico. It all took them about 50 minutes. 

That's great! You mentioned before that it works for ESTAs, too. Would you know anyone that did that?

Timeline
7 hours ago, RFOM said:

I will book the hotel in Cancun tomorrow :) do you already know where you are staying?

I booked nyx. I am on the edge tho, really scared that the situation will get worse in Mexico, and that trump might close the boarder entirely. Hotels in Cancun are supposed to open on the 8th of June, there are only few cases in Cancun. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, everyone. I've been monitoring this thread very closely for quite some time and want to share some vital new information on the Mexico travel route that people with a K1 visa are considering.

As I type this, I am literally just back from the airport.

Long story short: KLM DIDN'T ALLOW ME TO BOARD THE FLIGHT. My planned route was Manchester (UK) > AMS > MEX and after trying my best and talking with them for around 1hr 30min, they didn't allow me through.

Here's what I experienced at check in:

I arrived super early, as I guessed something like this would happen; needing a discussion.

I explained what my plans were. I showed them the K1 visa in my passport and two emails I received from the Mexican consulate in the UK saying I can travel and an email from CBP (bit of a copy paste job from them...).

I had a flight booked from Mexico to the US for 12th June (to Oakland, CA), which I showed them the conformation for.

The lady at check-in was very nice about it, but was talking with her colleagues about the validity of my travel. They weren't sure what was allowed, despite me explaining the situation.

They called up Amsterdam airport to talk with somebody who handles immigration for KLM and explained the situation.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: OVER THE WEEKEND, THEY HAD AN UPDATE FROM THE MEXICAN IMMIGRATION AUTHORITY ON WHAT CONSTITUTES AS NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. ACCORDING TO THEM, THIS UPDAT STATED THAT STAYING IN MEXICO FOR THE 14 DAY PERIOD BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE USA IS NOT ALLOWED AND NOT CONSIDERED ESSENTIAL.

Sadly, this option doesn't seem like a possibility anymore.

They really tried to help me. They sent a photo of my K1 to Amsterdam and even suggested a direct flight to the USA might work...but another call to KLM immigration in Amsterdam told us that this wasn't enough for entry either.

So, I'm back where I started. I can at least say that I tried. My visa expires in 2nd Sept, so my best hope is for flights to resume before then. Past that, hopefully a re-issuance is successful.

I understand that this might be frustrating for those with things booked like I did, but I hope it can help somebody out.

Attached is proof of my tickets [PERSONAL INFO REDACTED] if you needed to see that I'm very serious about this.

My boarding pass from MAN > AMS > MEX

1242633785_Ticketsproof1.thumb.png.d1377a1ec2ad35c69dd657d6e911ec26.png

My flight confirmation from MEX > USA

1682701824_Ticketsproof2.thumb.png.39a2b5dac0655764a27e0f1d0b81dd72.png

My email from the Mexico consulate

1553443975_MEXEmail.thumb.png.2a655c51e3925639783e6c06b09f06ef.png

My email from CBP

1611124454_CBPEmail.thumb.PNG.75d05cdd01dff9f6fa4b274925f4eb04.PNG

(Oh, and consider my username ironic now...I made it a few days ago hoping the provide an update from journey to Mexico.)

Good luck, everyone.

Edited by thisguyflies

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.