42 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2021 at 4:58 AM, acidonyx said:

Did you get any updates as of 2021? Planning to file online as well.

Sorry, missed the question.

Haven't heard back yet on the process yet. I had a chat with USCIS a week ago. They said no issues so far and since my case went to California Service Center, it is within the normal processing times - currently they are reviewing March'19 cases

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey congratulations Dispie, 

We filed for my wife's adult daughter on Dec. 26 2020. The daughter has a 10 year old we would like to bring over but we did not submit for him yet. It sounds like you submitted both at the same time? Maybe I should go ahead and submit for the step Grandson? 

Thanks and again Conrats! 

Tango

34 minutes ago, Tango777 said:

We filed for my wife's adult daughter on Dec. 26 2020. The daughter has a 10 year old we would like to bring over but we did not submit for him yet. It sounds like you submitted both at the same time? Maybe I should go ahead and submit for the step Grandson? 

Tango

Thanks, Tango!

I'm not familiar with how it works for grandchildren. Just googled it. This article says, when you step-daughter gets approved, your grandson will become eligible together with her, if I'm reading it right.

Good luck with the process!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tango777 said:

Tango

Dispie filed for his wife and stepson as Immediate Relatives.  This is completely different from your US citizen wife filing for her unmarried adult daughter in the F1 family preference category.  

Your wife can not file anything directly for her grandson.  

The son is a potential derivative beneficiary on the petition filed for his mother.  When the Priority Date becomes current, he would be an eligible derivative beneficiary if his CSPA age is under 21 at that time.  Because of the long wait for a current Priority Date, he can age out and may not be able to immigrate with his mom.  Currently, it is taking about 7-8 years for an F1 family preference case to receive a current PD, so the son is unlikely to age out.  He will most likely get to immigrate with his mother.  If his mother gets marry, then the F1 case becomes an F3 case where the wait for a current PD is 13 years and the son could possibly age out and not qualify to immigrate with his mom.  Make sure your stepdaughter stays unmarried throughout the wait for an immigration visa if she wants her son to immigrate with her.

Edited by aaron2020

• 2 years later...
Filed: Other Timeline

I am wondering about the current experience of filing concurrently the I 130 and I 1485, but the I 130 online. I see in this thread that some people advice against splitting them up (yet filing concurrently). I see much advantage to file I 130 online - easier for me not having to print everything, photos etc. But is there any rational way that it should be slower than sending both applications printed in the same packet? Any advice much appreciated.

20 minutes ago, earthbi said:

I am wondering about the current experience of filing concurrently the I 130 and I 1485, but the I 130 online. I see in this thread that some people advice against splitting them up (yet filing concurrently). I see much advantage to file I 130 online - easier for me not having to print everything, photos etc. But is there any rational way that it should be slower than sending both applications printed in the same packet? Any advice much appreciated.

I strongly advice sending together. It reduces the chances of cases being "disconnected" from each other. You want the whole thing to be reviewed together ideally. You'll also get sequential numbers for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Other Timeline
10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I strongly advice sending together. It reduces the chances of cases being "disconnected" from each other. You want the whole thing to be reviewed together ideally. You'll also get sequential numbers for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765

Thank you, what does it mean to get sequential numbers for I-130, etc?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.