YvetteS

I-944 Health Insurance Options

46 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone was considering getting short term health insurance as part of the health health insurance requirement on I-944. I was thinking of maybe getting a short term 12 month policy.

Unfortunately for me, my husband doesn't have health insurance through work, nor does he have health insurance at all, so I cannot be added to a policy. 

I've read through the instructions and the USCIS website and from what I can gather, it's not a hard no for short term insurance but maybe that other options weigh more positively. 

Is anyone else considering an alternative path for health insurance other than through their spouse? 

Any reason you can't use your state's exchange (via healthcare.gov)?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Any reason you can't use your state's exchange (via healthcare.gov)?

The cost of insurance through healthcare.gov seems really expensive. I have no pre-existing medical conditions and would only need insurance for medical emergencies and the cost seems exorbitant considering how little I would use it.

3 minutes ago, YvetteS said:

The cost of insurance through healthcare.gov seems really expensive. I have no pre-existing medical conditions and would only need insurance for medical emergencies and the cost seems exorbitant considering how little I would use it.

You hope.

I was in perfect health until 2 years ago. I rack up about $1 million in charges per year now through no fault of my own. Without insurance I literally would be dead (they will not treat me if I cannot pay - only emergency care to keep me alive in the hospital).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

By far the vast majority of Insurance is on a 12 month basis. Immigration is a Qualifying event that allows you access mid year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

You hope.

I was in perfect health until 2 years ago. I rack up about $1 million in charges per year now through no fault of my own. Without insurance I literally would be dead (they will not treat me if I cannot pay - only emergency care to keep me alive in the hospital).

I definitely do hope. I'm sorry to hear that.

I only intend to use the short term insurance until I can get my EAD and can get a job with subsidized health insurance. That's my plan anyway. 

It's all a huge culture shock to me, after coming from a country where I have never had to think about access to health care. In Australia, we all have access to it (regardless of income). It's so sad to see how expensive it is to access even basic health care here :(

Just now, YvetteS said:

I definitely do hope. I'm sorry to hear that.

I only intend to use the short term insurance until I can get my EAD and can get a job with subsidized health insurance. That's my plan anyway. 

It's all a huge culture shock to me, after coming from a country where I have never had to think about access to health care. In Australia, we all have access to it (regardless of income). It's so sad to see how expensive it is to access even basic health care here :(

Thanks.

All true. I was watching a video yesterday from the UK where they asked people how much common procedures cost in the US. The expectation versus reality was massive. it is a shock to anybody coming from almost any region.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

The other options I was considering were with the below companies: 

- Atlas America

-Patriot America plus for k1 visas

-International Major Medical Insurance

It's just so hard to know what they will accept. 

On the USCIS website they refer to the below: 

Not all health insurance programs plans provide for adequate coverage. An officer should generally consider whether a plan meets the requirements under the Affordable Care Act in limiting cost-sharing, including deductible, copayments, and out of pocket maximum amounts.[25] The health insurance Summary of Benefits and Coverage[26] should provide sufficient information of the costs and coverage of the insurance. A health insurance with a high deductible or other cost-sharing costs would carry less positive weight in the totality of the circumstances consideration.

Generally, the following plans do not provide adequate coverage for reasonable foreseeable medical costs:[27]

• Plans that only provide for vision and dental care;

• Worker’s compensation;

• Plans that only provide for specific diseases or conditions; and

• Plans that only provide for discounts on medical services.

Lack of health insurance is a negative factor in the totality of the circumstances. Officers must not speculate as to the cost of an applicant’s medical conditions. In addition, officers must not speculate as to what medical conditions a person may be diagnosed with in the future. For example, an officer must not assume that a person will need long term care or institutionalization with increasing age.

Private Health Insurance

For purposes of the public charge inadmissibility determination, private health insurance is considered a heavily weighted positive factor in the totality of the circumstances and includes, but is not limited to:

• Any employer-provided health insurance, including federal government employment-provided healthcare including Tricare[28] (for military members and their families);[29]

• Private health insurance provider through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) Health Marketplace without a subsidy;[30]

• Medicare;

• Other health insurance sold by the private industry and bought or purchased for or by the person;[31]

• Medicaid for children under the age of 21 or pregnant women (and women for up to 60 days after giving birth);

• Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP);

• State-only subsidized health insurance, including state-based exchange; and

• Health Insurance subsidized by foreign country.

So even insurance subsidized by foreign country is acceptable, but I don't know what that is referring to exactly.

Timeline

I am familiar with the first two and let us say you get what you pay for.

Not sure what you mean by International Major Medical Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

36 minutes ago, YvetteS said:

- Atlas America

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/policydoc/atlas-america-insurance-policy-document.pdf

"MEMBER ELIGIBILITY

U.S.Citizens and Non-U.S.Citizens who are at least 14 days of age are eligible for coverage outside of their home countries, except as provided under home country coverage.U.S. Citizens and residents are not eligible for coverage within the U.S, except as provided under home country coverage or an eligible benefit period."

"Home Country means the country where you principally reside and receive regular mail."

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/policydoc/patriot-america-plus-insurance-policy-document.pdf

"Area of Coverage: Worldwide excluding the Insured Person’s Country of Residence"

"BENEFIT SUMMARY: Subject to the Terms of this insurance, including the AGREEMENT provision, the following benefits are available to the Insured Person while outside his/her Country of Residence and coverage is available to the Insured Person arising out of Injury or Illness incurred while in the Destination Country. "

"ELIGIBILITY: If an Insured Person is not eligible, this Certificate is void ab initio and all Premium paid will be refunded. In order to be eligible and qualified for coverage under this insurance, a person must meet all of the following requirements:

8 Have not have established a permanent residency in the Destination Country"

Not sure on this one.

=====

While they will gladly let you purchase the plans above, it does not appear you meet the requirements for them to actually pay out (at least the first 2).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline

There is what is called new immigrant insurance, falls in the better than nothing category.

At the very least, get it in writing that whatever plan would actually cover your specific circumstances. The marketing on websites and the actual policy documents tend not to always align with expectations.

They sometimes use terms like "for new immigrants" that imply coverage once you come to the US, but are really only covering people who are coming temporarily to the US then returning abroad for some time (until they are ready to permanently move). Technically correct, but it's probably not the circumstances most people think of when they hear "new immigrant insurance".

There are private plans available. They are better than nothing. They're not great (especially during a pandemic...), but it's something at least.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, YvetteS said:

The other options I was considering were with the below companies: 

- Atlas America

It is extremely important that you know what you are actually getting with these plans.  Educating yourself on terms such as premiums, co-pays, deductibles, exclusions, stop loss, in-network, out-of-network is important....US medical insurance can be extremely complex and confusing....good luck in your journey.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

It is extremely important that you know what you are actually getting with these plans.  Educating yourself on terms such as premiums, co-pays, deductibles, exclusions, stop loss, in-network, out-of-network is important....US medical insurance can be extremely complex and confusing....good luck in your journey.

Absolutely, I will. I just wish there was a way to know if they're good enough for the I944.

Timeline

Those basic plans seem to have relatively low deductibles, I would be more concerned about the limits, including inner limits and exclusions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.