YvetteS

I-944 Health Insurance Options

46 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi, 

Sorry to jump in your thread, I have a question about health insurance. I am on my wife's work health insurance as her spouse. Below is a question on the I-944 form:

If you answered "Yes" to Item Number 15., when does your health insurance terminate or date that it must be renewed? (mm/dd/yyyy)

This question asks when my health insurance terminates or needs renewing, well I don't have an exact date. It only terminates if she were to leave the company and the exact renewal date is still tbd, sometime in the fall she was told. What date should I put? Should i explain the situation in the extra notes section?

Do you have access to the insurance policy? Can the employer advise if the policy is renewed annualy? Perhaps the policy renews every 12 months from the date your wife commenced employment. Sorry I'm not much help, but these are the things I would be thinking of. 

Definitely do not keep this box blank though. And yes, I would explain the situation if it makes you more comfortable, definitely no harm in doing so.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, YvetteS said:

I couldn't agree more.

Given that I feel very comfortable with their level of cover, it is if nothing else a plan which will help me if I need it. Whether it is good enough for I-944, I do not know. At this stage I am willing to be the guinea pig... wish me luck haha.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. My USC partner doesn't have insurance, I expect to eventually get insurance through work, but I'm strugglying to work out what kind of insurance I need for right now that will meet I-944 requirements. Which plan did you go with in the end?

USCIS guidance for the I-944 says "A health insurance with a high deductible or other cost-sharing costs" would be considered a less positive factor, but I have no idea what is considered 'high'! I haven't needed to see a doctor in the UK for 10+ years, so want a lower premium/higher deductible plan in the hope that I'm unlikely to use it, and it just provides protection against huge medical bills. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Filed: Other Timeline
On 4/6/2020 at 10:26 PM, YvetteS said:

I was just wondering if anyone was considering getting short term health insurance as part of the health health insurance requirement on I-944. I was thinking of maybe getting a short term 12 month policy.

Unfortunately for me, my husband doesn't have health insurance through work, nor does he have health insurance at all, so I cannot be added to a policy. 

I've read through the instructions and the USCIS website and from what I can gather, it's not a hard no for short term insurance but maybe that other options weigh more positively. 

Is anyone else considering an alternative path for health insurance other than through their spouse? 

Is this a new additional requirements ?

On 6/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, lumbar said:

Is this a new additional requirements ?

Yes- having health insurance is a desirable positive factor for the new Form I944. 

Filed: Other Timeline
On 6/8/2020 at 10:58 AM, YvetteS said:

Yes- having health insurance is a desirable positive factor for the new Form I944. 

I submitted my application before Feb 24. That time this is not required. I was shocked when I saw this is one of the requirements. Thank you for information

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, YvetteS said:

I couldn't agree more.

Given that I feel very comfortable with their level of cover, it is if nothing else a plan which will help me if I need it. Whether it is good enough for I-944, I do not know. At this stage I am willing to be the guinea pig... wish me luck haha.

Hello, pls what insurance did you end up going with and how much is it monthly?

On 4/20/2020 at 2:34 PM, YvetteS said:

Where the instructions say to provide evidence for... "For each policy, a copy of each policy page showing the terms and type of coverage and individuals covered"

Are they saying they want literally every page in the policy? That's 44 pages???

what pages did you end up adding???

On 4/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi, 

Sorry to jump in your thread, I have a question about health insurance. I am on my wife's work health insurance as her spouse. Below is a question on the I-944 form:

If you answered "Yes" to Item Number 15., when does your health insurance terminate or date that it must be renewed? (mm/dd/yyyy)

This question asks when my health insurance terminates or needs renewing, well I don't have an exact date. It only terminates if she were to leave the company and the exact renewal date is still tbd, sometime in the fall she was told. What date should I put? Should i explain the situation in the extra notes section?

hi, what did you figure out about this??

27 minutes ago, obobaddest said:

hi, what did you figure out about this??

Hi there, I put 31st October 2020 as the renewal date & wrote a separate letter explaining that she doesn't have an exact date for renewal, just that it would be sometime in the fall. I never received an RFE and as of now my I-485 Case Status is "Case Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 

So I am assuming my explanation was accepted. Although I guess its possible they could ask me about it at the interview...

Good luck!

4 hours ago, obobaddest said:

Hello, pls what insurance did you end up going with and how much is it monthly?

what pages did you end up adding???

I am using Cigna Global. It is about $215 USD a month. But it depends on what type of coverage you want.

I ended up including the entire policy terms and policy statement showing start and end dates.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not ACA compliant, I for giggles put my information and for Silver with the add ons but with a $2000 Deductible it was over $1,000 a month.

Now do they expect the cover to meet the ACA standards, I do not know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

24 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It is not ACA compliant, I for giggles put my information and for Silver with the add ons but with a $2000 Deductible it was over $1,000 a month.

Now do they expect the cover to meet the ACA standards, I do not know.

That is correct, it is not ACA compliant. I do not believe it has to be. I filed my AOS in April, no RFE or anything. 

This link is useful. It lists the different health insurance options and how they are weughted by USCIS. 

Hope it helps! 

• 3 months later...

Any update you guys? I’m in the same boat and I think I’m SOL because my room to claim and event is going to come most likely before my husband gets his social security card back. I’ve been wringing my hands and panicking all day 😂😂😂

Edited by eirinlinn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has been mentioned in your other thread you do not need a SSN to add your Husband to your Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Has been mentioned in your other thread you do not need a SSN to add your Husband to your Insurance.

Mine does. Can’t enroll without a Ssn 🤷‍♀️

On 10/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, YvetteS said:

That is correct, it is not ACA compliant. I do not believe it has to be. I filed my AOS in April, no RFE or anything. 

This link is useful. It lists the different health insurance options and how they are weughted by USCIS. 

Hope it helps! 

What is ACA compliant? (American care act?). Also, we are probably going to go the same route that you did; do you remember which plan you ended up picking from Cignaglobal? $215 sounds MUCH more reasonable than 600-something (that I would have to pay if my husband lucks out and is able to get onto my insurance in time) 

Edited by eirinlinn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.