Prisonmate

Can't leave the Philippines due to Shut Down

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Totally agreedmwntt with Apellica.

" I know it’s a selfish thing for me to say, but I am so sick of these travel bans.  The travel bans are only delaying the inevitable....the virus is already here and we can’t stay lockdown forever, especially when a vaccine is a long ways away.

Wearing protective gear, maintaining good hygiene, and eating healthy is your best defense against this virus.   Most people are recovering, but the media will tell you otherwise and declare doomsday."

It's like Martial Law in Cebu now. You can't travel from one city limit to another city without a special pass. There are police and military at the check points. The working poor will be dying from hunger and other sickness before they will ever catch the virus. The USA has the most cases and deaths now in the world. I think China is #9 in most cases and deaths.

I can see Philippines  extending it again until end of May or later. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Prisonmate said:

Totally agreedmwntt with Apellica.

" I know it’s a selfish thing for me to say, but I am so sick of these travel bans.  The travel bans are only delaying the inevitable....the virus is already here and we can’t stay lockdown forever, especially when a vaccine is a long ways away.

Wearing protective gear, maintaining good hygiene, and eating healthy is your best defense against this virus.   Most people are recovering, but the media will tell you otherwise and declare doomsday."

It's like Martial Law in Cebu now. You can't travel from one city limit to another city without a special pass. There are police and military at the check points. The working poor will be dying from hunger and other sickness before they will ever catch the virus. The USA has the most cases and deaths now in the world. I think China is #9 in most cases and deaths.

I can see Philippines  extending it again until end of May or later. 

It's like that in Mindanao where my fiance is. USEM is now closed until June. 

2 hours ago, Solaris81 said:

It's like that in Mindanao where my fiance is. USEM is now closed until June. 

The bans will be lifted eventually to some degree.  Its not possible for people to completely stop their lives for a year or more.  When things do open up slowly, it wont be like it was before probably for 2 years or so.  Philippines has been mismanaged as has the US.  The problem is if the Philippines could just test more than the 75,000 or so that they have done, it would give a better idea of how wide spread this is.  By chance, when I returned to the US, I got a job with a large medical center.  We are one of 70 places that are in human testing for a COVID vaccine but the success wont be known until at least March/April next year.  We have seen much less COVID patients then anticipated.  Also, the medical professionals where I am really believe quite strongly that true infection rate is anywhere between 60-100 times the documented rate.  Which means the death rate % is far lower than what is reported. 

Our I-797 NOA expires May 21st.  We were actually to have our interview back in mid-March just as the embassy closed on the 17th of March.  Who do I write to extend this?  NVC? US Embassy Manila? Etc?

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

The bans will be lifted eventually to some degree.  Its not possible for people to completely stop their lives for a year or more.  When things do open up slowly, it wont be like it was before probably for 2 years or so.  Philippines has been mismanaged as has the US.  The problem is if the Philippines could just test more than the 75,000 or so that they have done, it would give a better idea of how wide spread this is.  By chance, when I returned to the US, I got a job with a large medical center.  We are one of 70 places that are in human testing for a COVID vaccine but the success wont be known until at least March/April next year.  We have seen much less COVID patients then anticipated.  Also, the medical professionals where I am really believe quite strongly that true infection rate is anywhere between 60-100 times the documented rate.  Which means the death rate % is far lower than what is reported. 

Our I-797 NOA expires May 21st.  We were actually to have our interview back in mid-March just as the embassy closed on the 17th of March.  Who do I write to extend this?  NVC? US Embassy Manila? Etc?

Since it is the consulate that can extend the petition validity,  that's who you contact 

YMMV

Timeline

Well this is a bit disturbing.  My fiancee sent this to me.  Not sure how reputable the source is, but I don't believe Duterte wants his big money-maker to go down the tubes.

IMG_2297.JPG

event.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, apellica said:

Well this is a bit disturbing.  My fiancee sent this to me.  Not sure how reputable the source is, but I don't believe Duterte wants his big money-maker to go down the tubes.

IMG_2297.JPG

My understanding is, this is solely for vacation/leisure purposes outside of the country. Philippines government cannot shut down the airport entirely; it is up to each airline if they will suspend or continue their flights. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bryselle said:

My understanding is, this is solely for vacation/leisure purposes outside of the country. Philippines government cannot shut down the airport entirely; it is up to each airline if they will suspend or continue their flights. 

The airport authority can absolutely shut the airports down entirely. 

Philippines government can shutdown air traffic control denying any aircraft from landing at any Philippine airport 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

I am referring to the photo posted above. I mean the government cannot shut down the airport for the whole 2020 and will open only for the next year for foreign travel? People aren't just going outside the country for leisure. Many people will complaint of course, millions of Filipinos are working outside the country so they cannot do that for the entire year. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Bryselle said:

I am referring to the photo posted above. I mean the government cannot shut down the airport for the whole 2020 and will open only for the next year for foreign travel? People aren't just going outside the country for leisure. Many people will complaint of course, millions of Filipinos are working outside the country so they cannot do that for the entire year. 

So was I,  and if they decide its for the betterment of the country, then they will do what they need to do.  Your premise in your other post was that the government can't do it (which they can) and that it was up to the airlines to decide (which it is but ONLY if the skies and airports are operating).

If they want to operate specific flights to the Middle East or other region similar to the repatriation flights but in reverse, they could do that as well.  

YMMV

Timeline
5 hours ago, payxibka said:

So was I,  and if they decide its for the betterment of the country, then they will do what they need to do.  Your premise in your other post was that the government can't do it (which they can) and that it was up to the airlines to decide (which it is but ONLY if the skies and airports are operating).

If they want to operate specific flights to the Middle East or other region similar to the repatriation flights but in reverse, they could do that as well.  

I bet this will not apply to immigrants. Only people leaving and then coming back. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, payxibka said:

But my question is, do you think the government will do it for the entire year? 

I am saying they will not and cannot do it because a lot of things should be put into consideration first. They can only restrict people going outside the country, if the purpose is just for a vacation. We are talking for the entire year here, not just for a couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, Bryselle said:

But my question is, do you think the government will do it for the entire year? 

I am saying they will not and cannot do it because a lot of things should be put into consideration first. They can only restrict people going outside the country, if the purpose is just for a vacation. We are talking for the entire year here, not just for a couple of weeks. 

They can prevent anybody from using their airspace, both inbound and outbound. Generally exceptions are made for military purposes, as well as obviously allowing commercial aircraft to use it within local restrictions.

Will they? That's another question. But I think the point was they absolutely have the authority to do so if they decide to go that path.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
7 hours ago, Bryselle said:

They can only restrict people going outside the country, if the purpose is just for a vacation. We are talking for the entire year here, not just for a couple of weeks. 

Really?  Just ask the people in the DPRK or former Soviets what can be done.

YMMV

Timeline
15 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Really?  Just ask the people in the DPRK or former Soviets what can be done.

Nope I don't need to. North Korea and Philippines government is so much different in many ways. Our government is Democratic. 

13 hours ago, Bryselle said:

Nope I don't need to. North Korea and Philippines government is so much different in many ways. Our government is Democratic

Really???? The government was trying to extradite a OFW in Taiwan because she spoke out against the Duterte government. 

That doesn't take in to effect that they have been prioritizing POGOs over the regular Filipino citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.