Sara6683

Canadian Dental Hygienist

62 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Cndn said:

But isn’t the US really short on nurses? I thought it was listed as one of the occupations that does qualify for a work visa?

Yes - for certain types of work visas.

TN is very likely there. EB-3 applies as well if they want to immigrate. H-1B? No.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cndn said:

Ahh I didn’t realize that there were certain visas available only to Canadians and Mexicans. That’s probably what she had then. So the TN doesn’t require the occupation requiring a bachelors degree? 

Well it is different, so not in the case of a Nurse. Chalk and cheese.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

Neither of those would be a qualifying relative to sponsor/petition somebody. It would need to be a spouse (most common here), parent, 21+ son/daughter, or sibling (although this is a ~15+ year wait).

How long does it take for a visa to be processed when it’s the child who sponsors a parent? 

Timeline

Normally a year or so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 hours ago, Boiler said:

Well it is different, so not in the case of a Nurse. Chalk and cheese.

Except in Canada you need a BSc to be a Nurse. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, Sara6683 said:

How do non-skilled workers get a visa to work in the states? 

marriage! hence the couples on 90 day fiance! LOL! lots come here for school and then fall in love!  perhaps you could do a graduate program and then you get a 1 year work permit and hopefuly in that time you find someone you love?  lots i know have done it that way!

6 minutes ago, caliliving said:

marriage! hence the couples on 90 day fiance! LOL! lots come here for school and then fall in love!  perhaps you could do a graduate program and then you get a 1 year work permit and hopefuly in that time you find someone you love?  lots i know have done it that way!

I love that show! It doesn’t seem like a bad option at this point hah

I have actually thought about doing a grad program - that’s a good idea

Thanks! 

Timeline

What qualifying occupations? What are you looking at?

44 minutes ago, Cndn said:

I’m so confused. Why do they list nurses as a qualifying occupation for the H1b visa as well? I notice it does say “registered nurse”. So maybe it’s LPN’s that don’t qualify? 

LPNs do not require degrees, and as far as I know are not in practice in every state still.

23 hours ago, Boiler said:

Because one of the requirements of a H1b is that the job requires a degree, so you are in a similar position to most nurses where to be a nurse does not require a degree. Even if many have one.

To be a nurse does not require a degree?  That would only refer to licensed practical nurses.  Registered nurses must have degrees from accredited schools of nursing.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

To be a nurse does not require a degree?  That would only refer to licensed practical nurses.  Registered nurses must have degrees from accredited schools of nursing.

Associates Degree ir seems not a 4 year degree,

Just now, Boiler said:

Associates Degree ir seems not a 4 year degree,

Depends on the job and the state.  Both are college degrees.

Timeline

In the context of a H1b a Degree is a 4 year degree.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.