goldhex

Almost Approved Solidarity Thread

108 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I know people that work for the USCIS. They need a bailout basically: https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2020/05/employees-concerned-after-agency-threatens-furloughs-over-budget-shortfall/165615/

"Unlike most other federal agencies, USCIS is funded almost entirely by user fees".  They are suffering a massive budget shortfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Citizenship_and_Immigration_Services

I'm basically not making plans for my partner to be here this summer, but if he is, great.

Edited by remotercharm

Update! The CEAC (Visa Appointment Service) online booking system has realeased a few new visa interview appointment dates at U.S. Embassy London for end of July/ early August. There aren't many left, so be quick!

Rescheduled my IV unit interview booked for 10 July to 30 July; hoping Covid-19 restrictions may ease up by then. But am fully aware is just a guessing game for now.

Note: I am an IR-1 spouse of American citizen (both of us living in UK); not sure these appointments are open to other IV categories.

Visa Medicals update:  now doing medical exams on Weds, Thurs and Fri (at least for mid-July; not sure if applies to June)

But on a postive note: a friend who worked at the IV Unit (granted, was 8 years ago) said fees for processing routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visas are a major source of income; they believe the Embassy/ D.O.S. just cannot afford to continue cancelling routine appointments (this is only an opinion, but an interesting one.)

However, the U.S. Embassy website "Information for non-U.S. citizens following the Coronavirus / COVID-19 Outbreak" page
still continues to say under:

Is the U.S. Embassy in London closed/Has my visa interview appointment be cancelled?

"You do not need to be concerned if your Visa Appointment Service account shows ‘Attend Appointment’ – you may disregard this while all routine visa interview appointments are cancelled. "

And on the same page:

"...Embassies and consulates have canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments...We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time."

I take this to mean  ‘Attend Appointment’ doesn't actually mean  ‘Attend Appointment’ until the Embassy confirms routine visa services have resumed. If anyone has a different interpretation, love to hear it.

Hope this info is useful to someone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ugh this isn't what I was hoping to hear https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-14/don-t-plan-on-summer-holidays-in-u-s-fauci-tells-the-british

I'm not hopeful the embassy will move forward with the K1 interviews with July and August but hopefully I'm wrong

Timeline
1 hour ago, tris&kris said:

Ugh this isn't what I was hoping to hear https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-14/don-t-plan-on-summer-holidays-in-u-s-fauci-tells-the-british

I'm not hopeful the embassy will move forward with the K1 interviews with July and August but hopefully I'm wrong

Trump is going to do what he's going to do so I'm not sure this means much.

The important thing isn't the travel restrictions, it's that the embassy restarts visa services. I believe the 2 aren't mutually exclusive, but we'll see.

This thread below illustrates how many have worked around the UK/Schengen travel restrictions - 

Edited by goldhex

2 hours ago, tris&kris said:

Secretary of State Pompeo has released a document planning the return to work of State Department employees:

https://www.axios.com/pompeo-coronavirus-state-department-reopening-ec5dc86d-6393-4614-b05f-68d3b5f6ec10.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 hours ago, goldhex said:

The important thing isn't the travel restrictions, it's that the embassy restarts visa services. I believe the 2 aren't mutually exclusive, but we'll see.

This thread below illustrates how many have worked around the UK/Schengen travel restrictions - 

Yes hopefully you’re right

Timeline
12 hours ago, goldhex said:

The main reason they cancelled the appointments was because of the travel restrictions isn't it?  Didn't they happen at the same time?  It seems very odd that they would issue a visa that expires in 6 months (to enter?) when the citizens aren't legally allowed to travel to the country.  Going to another country and waiting is a workaround but I doubt that's something they would want to encourage. Maybe they think borders would be open in that amount of time? I hope you're right, but it seems unlikely.  

Edited by remotercharm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, remotercharm said:

The main reason they cancelled the appointments was because of the travel restrictions isn't it?  Didn't they happen at the same time?  It seems very odd that they would issue a visa that expires in 6 months (to enter?) when the citizens aren't legally allowed to travel to the country.  Going to another country and waiting is a workaround but I doubt that's something they would want to encourage. Maybe they think borders would be open in that amount of time? I hope you're right, but it seems unlikely.  

I think appointments were cancelled because the UK “shut down”. People began working remotely or were furloughed. Transportation is limited to get to work in the city. The embassy is just like any other job. How many people in the UK do you know who quit going to their workplace?  If shops and restaurants are closed, why wouldn’t the embassy be except for small staff to aide American citizens who got stranded in the UK and such as that? 

I think closures and such are not necessarily coordinated. Everything is unfolding  on a daily basis depending on the foreign country and what Trump dreams up or Boris Johnson or the governor of the state where the NVC is located. But yes travel to the US is severely impacted too which throws up another problem for K1s. In reality, the priorities at the embassy should go to American services...citizen who need to get home or emergency US passports, etc. Then next priority ought to be visas for spouse’s and immediate family who are exempted from travel restrictions. Immigrant visas (family excluded) were halted so why interview them immediately? UK tourists aren’t going to easily go to the US so no priority there. 

It’s a pandemic and things are really messed up and business as usual is disrupted. Throw in racial unrest and all the demonstrations causing an uptick in Covid spread and there goes the flattened curve all the closures helped. Will it all have to close back down?  Every day is a new plot. 

Edited by Wuozopo

1 hour ago, remotercharm said:

The two aren't related. The Department of State suspended visa processing at all embassies worldwide, including many many countries which aren't affected by the travel restrictions.

Like @Wuozopo says, I'm sure the motivating factors were more related to people being able to get to work, childcare, safety etc. The same problems we've all faced over the past few months.

I'm encouraged that the DoS has sent out guidance related to reopening of offices and foreign posts.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but..

...still trying to figure out the "mystery" about routine visa appointments booked in July 2020 at the US Embassy London that may/ may not be happening. Any input/ insight from other "almost approveds" or anybody, I'd really appreciate it.

Others must be in similar situations: I booked my visa appointment using CEAC for July 30 2020; my CEAC (Visa Appointment Service) record says "Attend appointment".  Sounds good, right? But the Embassy website still says to "disregard" booked routine appointments. Am baffled and confused why:

1. CEAC allowed us to book routine visa appointments, when the Embassy  website says: "all routine visa interview appointments are cancelled"?

2. The Embassy doesn't just cancel these appointments now, instead of telling us to "disregard" them?

It's all very "Catch-22":

- I called CEAC about confirming booked appointments -  they told me to contact the Embassy. I contacted the Embassy; they told me to contact CEAC (this was back in March re: my first (cancelled) appointment in April).

- One website says to  "Attend appointment" while another says  "you may disregard [your appointment].

Of course I understand there's a global pandemic, the UK is (or should be) in lockdown, Embassy staff may be furloughed/ working from home, and American citizens have priority to Embassy services. But why let people book appointments that may not even exist??

Well-meaning and sympatheic U.S. friends (who sponsored UK spouses/ fiances) say to relax, not to worry, they "went the same thing." No, actually they didn't. This is unprecedented;  just pure bad luck and terrible timing for those of us in "almost approved" status right now!

Anyway, if anyone has any insight on the "July appointment situation" I'd really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, TXorPDX said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record but..

...still trying to figure out the "mystery" about routine visa appointments booked in July 2020 at the US Embassy London that may/ may not be happening. Any input/ insight from other "almost approveds" or anybody, I'd really appreciate it.

Others must be in similar situations: I booked my visa appointment using CEAC for July 30 2020; my CEAC (Visa Appointment Service) record says "Attend appointment".  Sounds good, right? But the Embassy website still says to "disregard" booked routine appointments. Am baffled and confused why:

1. CEAC allowed us to book routine visa appointments, when the Embassy  website says: "all routine visa interview appointments are cancelled"?

2. The Embassy doesn't just cancel these appointments now, instead of telling us to "disregard" them?

It's all very "Catch-22":

- I called CEAC about confirming booked appointments -  they told me to contact the Embassy. I contacted the Embassy; they told me to contact CEAC (this was back in March re: my first (cancelled) appointment in April).

- One website says to  "Attend appointment" while another says  "you may disregard [your appointment].

Of course I understand there's a global pandemic, the UK is (or should be) in lockdown, Embassy staff may be furloughed/ working from home, and American citizens have priority to Embassy services. But why let people book appointments that may not even exist??

Well-meaning and sympatheic U.S. friends (who sponsored UK spouses/ fiances) say to relax, not to worry, they "went the same thing." No, actually they didn't. This is unprecedented;  just pure bad luck and terrible timing for those of us in "almost approved" status right now!

Anyway, if anyone has any insight on the "July appointment situation" I'd really appreciate it!

Take a look here: https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/dcf-london-processing-931937/page9/#post12864629

The person who posted that is going through DCF London and was able to select dates at the end of July. It seems perplexing to me that the system would allow them to book an interview for a date that all appointments are supposedly "cancelled". I think there is a decent chance that your interview on the 30th of July will go ahead; however, if there is anything that the events of this year thus far have taught me, it is that one should assume nothing....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, TXorPDX said:

You are correct that this pandemic is unprecedented. That’s why letting your brain work overtime about what is going to happen is going to burn you out.  

And as far as others who went through the process...when they were in the midst of it without a definite end date it was not so different than you. We wanted answers and instant gratification of results. It ain’t gonna happen. Maybe the difference is after getting way past it, we understand you can’t push it forward with obsession or worry so we urge you to relax and just let it play out because it’s going to happen when it happens.

My guess is appointments may have been allowed when somebody thought this would all be past us by July or August so they made tentative plans for cases already on site just to start filling in a schedule to allow people some time to prepare. Who knew then all the demonstrations, rallies, and destructions that were to come to major cities would challenge the distancing measures that was flattening the curve. Who knew that trying to open up the economy would result in people behaving badly at restaurants, clubs, beaches, and BBQs and new surges would follow because safety measures are being ignored. 

So on the chance that limited appointments can still happen, they are holding your slot for you rather than cancel now and rather than let you fight for a spot when the NVC sends over hundreds of cases. I think they can’t plan too far in advance with certainty. Maybe the early July won’t make it in, but maybe end of July will. It’s all dependent on Covid-19 and what many governments and agencies can coordinate. Not going to be smooth. But for right now, consider yourself special with a slot saved for you if they can just coordinate an opening. 

Hospital worker, in June alone, (past 16 days), we've had 3 deaths, no more people with COVID19 in ICU anymore. By this time in May, I was moving bodies to the mortuary and cleaning the body bag every night three times at night... so its looking up here... Just hoping that the rest of the country is following the theme (seems to be fluctuating, good work Boris)

Is it dependent on the host country or the USA on the reopening of the embassy by the way? So say, Boris drops us to the next phase and fully reopens pubs and barbers, are we going to see the embassy reopen?

48 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Hospital worker, in June alone, (past 16 days), we've had 3 deaths, no more people with COVID19 in ICU anymore. By this time in May, I was moving bodies to the mortuary and cleaning the body bag every night three times at night... so its looking up here... Just hoping that the rest of the country is following the theme (seems to be fluctuating, good work Boris)

Is it dependent on the host country or the USA on the reopening of the embassy by the way? So say, Boris drops us to the next phase and fully reopens pubs and barbers, are we going to see the embassy reopen?

I posted this before but it seems to have got lost in the shuffle - 

Secretary of State Pompeo has released a document planning the return to work of State Department (Embassy) employees:

https://www.axios.com/pompeo-coronavirus-state-department-reopening-ec5dc86d-6393-4614-b05f-68d3b5f6ec10.html

FWIW: seems likely that those appointments for late July/early August will go ahead considering they were released on the booking tool after the above document was sent to DoS employees.

Edited by goldhex

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.