goldhex

Almost Approved Solidarity Thread

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Mask said:

Good news to those who are already married to a US citizen.  Some of the others in this thread whose profile says K1 visa are fiancés and (a) are not yet married to Americans and (b) are not already in the US at the time of the order, where they would have to apply for a greencard. Fiancés (K1s) are not addressed,  but it did say advisors will look at other nonimmigrant visas.

The order includes a provision for the secretaries of Labor and Homeland Security to review nonimmigrant visa programs in consultation with the secretary of State to "recommend to me other measures appropriate to stimulate the United States economy and ensure the prioritization, hiring, and employment of United States workers."

Edited by Wuozopo

I really can't tell how this affects K1s currently not in the US considering there is an exception for spouses within the EO and when a K1 applies for AoS they are the spouse of a USC.

Or for K1s currently outside the US will they just no longer issue visas until the end of the ban considering the EO "will apply to foreign nationals seeking a green card who are outside the United States at the time of the order"?

How do other people interpret it?

Edited by goldhex

1 hour ago, goldhex said:

I really can't tell how this affects K1s currently not in the US considering there is an exception for spouses within the EO and when a K1 applies for AoS they are the spouse of a USC.

Or for K1s currently outside the US will they just no longer issue visas until the end of the ban considering the EO "will apply to foreign nationals seeking a green card who are outside the United States at the time of the order"?

How do other people interpret it?

For any fellow K1's reading this, the consensus in the below post indicates that the order shouldn't affect K1 visas as they are non-immigrant.

Timeline
7 hours ago, goldhex said:

For any fellow K1's reading this, the consensus in the below post indicates that the order shouldn't affect K1 visas as they are non-immigrant.

I’ve just read the proclamation this morning. I don’t see that it specifically allows K1s by it’s wording. I still have a question mark that K1s may have to be clarified in the future. I’ve read six pages of that thread and don’t agree with opinions (so far) saying K1s are already clear. Will read more of the thread later.

It’s very typical that K1s tend to be in limbo because they are a small group and a visa that’s kinda like a square peg that doesn’t fit the mainstream round hole. Yes, I see no reason to exclude K1s, but I just don’t see clear cut inclusion of them in the Order as published.

This update was just posted on the Visa appointment booking website:

24 April, 2020

On April 22, President Trump signed a proclamation suspending entry into the United States of certain immigrants who present risk to the U.S. labor market during the economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak. The proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. EDT on April 23 and expires in 60 days, unless continued by the President. U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and those holding valid immigrant visas on the effective date of the Proclamation, are not subject to the proclamation. No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation. Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide, but as resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services for applicants who are not subject to this presidential proclamation. The full text of the presidential proclamation is available on the White House website at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/

• 2 weeks later...

K-1 London Interview Availability Update: 

I was just able to schedule an interview appointment for July 6th (the soonest date available on the booking tool).

Interesting thread on the coronavirus forum - 

A Spanish K1 holder on there has flown from Madrid to Mexico to attempt to circumvent the Schengen ban by staying there for 2 weeks prior to entering the US.

Timeline
1 hour ago, goldhex said:

Interesting thread on the coronavirus forum - 

A Spanish K1 holder on there has flown from Madrid to Mexico to attempt to circumvent the Schengen ban by staying there for 2 weeks prior to entering the US.

I read one last week from a UK K1 who told of her entry to the US without a 14 day delay elsewhere. She did already have the visa before the immigration ban. Not sure where I read it now. I should have saved the link. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I read one last week from a UK K1 who told of her entry to the US without a 14 day delay elsewhere. She did already have the visa before the immigration ban. Not sure where I read it now. I should have saved the link. 

I was wrong. Not a K1. But the experience traveling is worth a read. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, Wuozopo said:

I was wrong. Not a K1. But the experience traveling is worth a read. 

Thanks for linking this, I travelled on a CR1. If anyone has any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

• 4 weeks later...

For those (like me) who have July interview dates, what is your confidence level that they actually go ahead?

For me, given that the DoS/Embassy hasn't said anything by this point I think the odds are less than 50/50.

Timeline
4 hours ago, goldhex said:

For those (like me) who have July interview dates, what is your confidence level that they actually go ahead?

For me, given that the DoS/Embassy hasn't said anything by this point I think the odds are less than 50/50.

I pick 85% for you because your file is at the embassy. 😄
Those K1s still at NVC,  I give zero chance for a summer interview. 

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I pick 85% for you because your file is at the embassy. 😄
Those K1s still at NVC,  I give zero chance for a summer interview. 

85%? I truly appreciate that optimism!! :)

My pessimism stems from the absolute lack of any communication, whether that be from the Dept. of State or from the embassies regarding a reopen timeline. I do find it ironic that there is such a rush to reopen everything within the US, but none to reopen the embassies..

Timeline
44 minutes ago, goldhex said:

85%? I truly appreciate that optimism!! :)

My pessimism stems from the absolute lack of any communication, whether that be from the Dept. of State or from the embassies regarding a reopen timeline. I do find it ironic that there is such a rush to reopen everything within the US, but none to reopen the embassies..

They have to go by the restrictions of the land where they are I suppose. 

I figured you needed a little optimism because you are such a fretter. I have kinda picked up my wife’s optimism after 10+ years of marriage and living in the US. She fretted her way to NOA2 because that’s the theme you learn in the K1 forums when you’re new here. Right? Oh this is so stressful. My whole life depends on overthinking this.  
Then she said sod it and quit checking stuff. We just got on with our lives and said it’ll happen when it happens. There was never a doubt that it would be denied  The rest of immigration past NOA2 - visa, greencard, citizenship,  was just a secondary thought. Life is much easier that way. Checking all day and speculating does not speed it up. It just disappoints you and makes you grumpy. 

8 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Then she said sod it and quit checking stuff. We just got on with our lives and said it’ll happen when it happens. There was never a doubt that it would be denied  The rest of immigration past NOA2 - visa, greencard, citizenship,  was just a secondary thought. Life is much easier that way. Checking all day and speculating does not speed it up. It just disappoints you and makes you grumpy. 

This is sage advice for anyone (not just K1 applicants) going through the waiting process. It truly is a test of patience...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.