SaraO

Issues moving due to Coronavirus

53 posts in this topic

Another place to try and get an answer is call the airlines you are booked on. If they can't fly to the US then there is a good chance you can't. They would be one of a few good sources of information. 

If you have a ticket, check to see if your flight is scheduled to leave. If not, they can reroute you or move you to another day or time.

This is going to take thinking outside the box.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

*~*~*moved to Coronavirus section*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am in the same boat in that I am due to depart the UK on the 8th Apr. My K1 doesnt expire until June, but who knows what will happen in the meantime.

I am only in the UK on a working holiday, originally from Australia so I have no family here and few friends. Meanwhile, I have sold most of my things, handing keys back to my house in 3 weeks, sold my car and worst of all are taking my 2 kitties who are booked to fly on the 2nd Apr. Hopefully they still can as some airlines will be operating a skeleton schedule (so far anyway). I certainly dont want to take any risks for myself or endanger others, but its disappointing that considerations for the K1 Visas weren't given when they are sort of family based visa, more importantly with expiry dates. We've all been through the process to reach our K1 approval so how is it fair that those already married are free to enter, but not us... are we really that different? So disappointing.

Also, I am a travel agent and have been for 20 years. Calling the airline will be of little use, they are not the authority on visas and more often than not give out the incorrect information (I work on an emergency line and travellers are quite often rejected at the departure airport or if not picked up, at the arrival in customs for not having the right entry documents/visa that the airline should have, but didnt, confirm at departure). 

Timeline

@judyann811 I am in a very similar situation. Moving from U.K. to US. The difference is I (US citizen) am also flying with my fiancé. I am allowed to fly as a citizen but I want to know if I can get him across the boarder or if we just have to wait it out. Via expiring end of June and I need to get a job and place to live before we file for AOS and it’s looking like a bad bad time to be interviewing for jobs! 
I called US embassy in London who hung up on me and said I have to email them! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ek1357 said:

@judyann811 I am in a very similar situation. Moving from U.K. to US. The difference is I (US citizen) am also flying with my fiancé. I am allowed to fly as a citizen but I want to know if I can get him across the boarder or if we just have to wait it out. Via expiring end of June and I need to get a job and place to live before we file for AOS and it’s looking like a bad bad time to be interviewing for jobs! 
I called US embassy in London who hung up on me and said I have to email them! 

It's really so scary. I am hoping that the USCIS maybe put like a provision in place or something with these K1s to maybe extend the expiration dates or AOS periods due to the circumstances... we seem to have been forgotten in all of this which is disappointing given most using the K1 visa are in some way closing down their life in one country to move to another! I have 10 days left of my job because I had handed in my notice period thinking I was leaving soon, so now not only do I not have my house in 3 weeks, also no job. 

I do understand the measures being taken in heavily restricting traveller movements between countries to try to reduce the spread of the virus, but as it's not a total ban for citizens, spouses and residents it's just unfair it didnt extend to K1 given it's a fiance visa as so many of us are now left in very dire positions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Morning All,
I seem to be in the same boat as many of you here, was due to fly out this time next week (from the UK to US), with my K-1 visa due to expire before the 30 day travel ban is up.
I spoke to the UK Embassy in London this morning and they just said to check the government websites for information

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
14 minutes ago, judyann811 said:

It's really so scary. I am hoping that the USCIS maybe put like a provision in place or something with these K1s to maybe extend the expiration dates or AOS periods due to the circumstances... we seem to have been forgotten in all of this which is disappointing given most using the K1 visa are in some way closing down their life in one country to move to another! I have 10 days left of my job because I had handed in my notice period thinking I was leaving soon, so now not only do I not have my house in 3 weeks, also no job. 

I do understand the measures being taken in heavily restricting traveller movements between countries to try to reduce the spread of the virus, but as it's not a total ban for citizens, spouses and residents it's just unfair it didnt extend to K1 given it's a fiance visa as so many of us are now left in very dire positions.

Exactly. I think they should let k1’s enter the country as well since we are getting married and we have an expiration date and only one entrance.  My fiancé had contact his military attorney and she said that unfortunately k1’s get extended but that she thinks that with everything going on DOS might make some exceptions.

Timeline
58 minutes ago, SmithJDaniel said:

Morning All,
I seem to be in the same boat as many of you here, was due to fly out this time next week (from the UK to US), with my K-1 visa due to expire before the 30 day travel ban is up.
I spoke to the UK Embassy in London this morning and they just said to check the government websites for information

And what is supposed that we have to find there because I’ve been checking the website almost everyday to see if I can find some information and there is none .. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, SaraO said:

And what is supposed that we have to find there because I’ve been checking the website almost everyday to see if I can find some information and there is none .. 

I completely agree, I pointed out, that, as of Sunday night the website hadn't been updated with the UK & Ireland ban which was announced the day before, and they just repeated the advice to me
I've been trying to contact them in other ways, if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SmithJDaniel said:

I completely agree, I pointed out, that, as of Sunday night the website hadn't been updated with the UK & Ireland ban which was announced the day before, and they just repeated the advice to me
I've been trying to contact them in other ways, if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here

I’ve just called the US embassy in Spain and they just told me that if I can’t go to the US before the expiration of my visa I have to start all the process from the start, but I refuse. This isn’t our fault and we should be paying for this when it isn’t in our hands. 

Timeline

I have a question, my visa expires on July 17th but I did my medical on December 16th it means that if the medical is only valid for 6 months it’s good to go til June. So does it means that even if my visa expires in July I have to get in the US before June 16th? 
I hope all of this gets better ASAP, my flight is booked for May, so hopefully the travel restriction is lifted by then. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

My fiance and I are in the same boat...His k-1 expires June 21 and we had not planned for him to fly to the US until mid-June because of his work commitments. Croatia, for today, is not part of the travel restrictions, but who knows what will happen tomorrow.

I'm going to email the embassy in Croatia to see if I can find out anything, but I have basically no hope of getting any concrete information.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:48 PM, SaraO said:

I’ve just called the US embassy in Spain and they just told me that if I can’t go to the US before the expiration of my visa I have to start all the process from the start, but I refuse. This isn’t our fault and we should be paying for this when it isn’t in our hands. 

oh no!!!! no way

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.