Bjh

Just realized we submitted the old I-485! Please help!

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, ReneeJas said:

I actually called USCIS the other day because we left out for i944 and i think we have an outdated form. They said we would get and RFE or the entire package would be sent back with the check. They said it would be useless to send in documents without a receipt number. She said they will not deny without giving you the opportunity to correct the mistakes 

Was this individual an actual USCIS employee or someone working in USCIS's customer service?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Bjh said:

out for i944 and i think we have an outdated form. They said we would get and RFE or the entire package would be sent back with the check. They said it would be useless to send in documents without a receipt number. She said they will not deny without giving you the opportunity to correct the mistakes 

Each officer would tell you their own thing and do their own thing. Some folks got RFE for failing to submit i864 while others got flat denial. But yes, you cannot send forms in at random without having a case number to attach them to. They will be lost! If ever you have to send additional documents or paper work USCIS always tells you to attach a copy of your receipt for the case you have pending. 

Edited by Sami58

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Bjh said:

Was this individual an actual USCIS employee or someone working in USCIS's customer service?

Does it even matter? They are all USCIS employees! From the district manager to the CSR! 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

Timeline
2 hours ago, TheKingmaker said:

Lol why ask questions if you are not willing to listen to the advice

It beats me! I’ve noticed that he had a comeback with everything you tell him! Why come here shouting “please help” when everything we tell you, you’re questioning it? Since he knows it all he shouldn’t be here “seeking help” in the first place. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I think OP wants the answer he likes to hear and will question anyone who have good suggestions but not the one he expected.

so here is my response to the OP:

You can do whatever you want, you can send the new package before they send you the rejection letter. So do what you feel doing it.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
11 minutes ago, arken said:

I think OP wants the answer he likes to hear and will question anyone who have good suggestions but not the one he expected.

so here is my response to the OP:

You can do whatever you want, you can send the new package before they send you the rejection letter. So do what you feel doing it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Timeline
5 hours ago, Sami58 said:

Does it even matter? They are all USCIS employees! From the district manager to the CSR! 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

The reason I think it matters is because the customer service for USCIS is outsourced, they are not the same people (i.e. USCIS officers) who actually go through applications and make decisions.

Filed: Timeline
27 minutes ago, Bjh said:

The reason I think it matters is because the customer service for USCIS is outsourced, they are not the same people (i.e. USCIS officers) who actually go through applications and make decisions.

Technically its suppose to be as long as your packet was postmarked prior to the cut off date however I know of at least one case where it was postmarked but still rejected. When was yours postmarked? Anyway you can send as many packets as you want and as long as you include the money they will accept it. So you would be taking a chance sending a 2nd packet that the first one is not rejected and youd end up paying twice.   Now it can take several weeks for something to get sent back as rejected. They have to open it and process it as a rejection which is a whole big process for them. If you were  postmarked before the cut off it should be accepted so you shouldn't send another one.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Technically its suppose to be as long as your packet was postmarked prior to the cut off date however I know of at least one case where it was postmarked but still rejected. When was yours postmarked? Anyway you can send as many packets as you want and as long as you include the money they will accept it. So you would be taking a chance sending a 2nd packet that the first one is not rejected and youd end up paying twice.   Now it can take several weeks for something to get sent back as rejected. They have to open it and process it as a rejection which is a whole big process for them. If you were  postmarked before the cut off it should be accepted so you shouldn't send another one.  

Mine was postmarked on March 3rd, so it'll probably get rejected. The bolded is why I'm not wanting to wait for the rejection letter.

The one piece of advice I've taken is cancelling the check to ensure the first i-485 etc. is rejected and more importantly that I don't get charged twice.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bjh said:

Next time you contact USCIS, i assume your first question will be , “Are you an actual USCIS employee or just someone working for USCIS? Give me an actual officer.”

FYI, the max you can get is the customer service in your case at this time. You are not gonna get a Tier 2 officer for a case that hasn’t even been registered.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
10 hours ago, arken said:

Next time you contact USCIS, i assume your first question will be , “Are you an actual USCIS employee or just someone working for USCIS? Give me an actual officer.”

FYI, the max you can get is the customer service in your case at this time. You are not gonna get a Tier 2 officer for a case that hasn’t even been registered.

If only I actually could.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 3/15/2020 at 4:09 AM, Bjh said:

If only I actually could.

Reading your posts... I feel you want to resend with new form the entire package.   It is like gambling for  confusion vs faster processing.  At the rate Corona shut down is happening, I think your rejection letter is being delayed... similarly the new package will be delayed for processing as well.

Theoretically you should get the rejection letter while your new package has not been processed, assuming you send it in.

So it depends on your risk appetite.   I see OP and respondents all expressing good suggestions.  Risk appetite....

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.