Nature Boy 2.0

All things Corona Virus

2,985 posts in this topic

Just now, laylalex said:

It's not quite that bad, and I don't think I'm more of a toucher than most people. I'm just working to reduce the opportunities for infection any way I can. I will keep it in mind though so thank you! :) 

Alex's mum is not well -- he managed to speak with her this afternoon. She insists it's probably only a cold, because her cough isn't dry and her fever is pretty low grade. She's only mid-50s so her risk profile is lower than, say, my parents', who are a decade older. Her boyfriend is keeping a close eye on her symptoms. Alex is encouraging her to get tested if she can. His sister was supposed to be flying into LA next week but that's obviously not happening now. She sent him this article earlier which made us both more than a little terrified for everyone over there:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/pensioners-told-stay-house-four-21694475

And they're shutting the pubs! 

It's a good idea for older people to stay home as much as possible and avoid crowds, but 4 months is crazy. Hard to image them doing this. 

I felt a bit sick yesterday (after standing next to someone at the doctors office who later said they had a fever). I feel like it's going to play mind games with us every time we get a cold now, but I think it almost always starts with a high fever. I think watching symptoms and taking temperature regularly are good ways to stay on top of it without overreacting. Watching for potential respiratory symptoms is the most important thing.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It's a good idea for older people to stay home as much as possible and avoid crowds, but 4 months is crazy. Hard to image them doing this. 

I felt a bit sick yesterday (after standing next to someone at the doctors office who later said they had a fever). I feel like it's going to play mind games with us every time we get a cold now, but I think it almost always starts with a high fever. I think watching symptoms and taking temperature regularly are good ways to stay on top of it without overreacting. Watching for potential respiratory symptoms is the most important thing.

Hope you feel better soon and it's nothing. Last temperature reading we got from her was 37.7C. So a fever but not high. Her cough is productive and she's not having problems breathing. His mum's boyfriend is a no-nonsense, very practical man whom we both trust to make sure no one is overreacting. Al is probably overworrying because he's so far away, and can't travel there without risking not being able to come back for a while. Al is going to wait up until midnight to check in and see how everyone's doing. His sister is just put out because she was looking forward to getting away from their mum for a while. :lol: I suppose I would too if I were 35 and still living at home. I try not to judge but... okay, I judge.

3 hours ago, laylalex said:

Hope you feel better soon and it's nothing. Last temperature reading we got from her was 37.7C. So a fever but not high. Her cough is productive and she's not having problems breathing. His mum's boyfriend is a no-nonsense, very practical man whom we both trust to make sure no one is overreacting. Al is probably overworrying because he's so far away, and can't travel there without risking not being able to come back for a while. Al is going to wait up until midnight to check in and see how everyone's doing. His sister is just put out because she was looking forward to getting away from their mum for a while. :lol: I suppose I would too if I were 35 and still living at home. I try not to judge but... okay, I judge.

Thanks. I hadn't had as much as a runny nose in the last 2 years, but this is my second cold in the last month. Doesn't feel like much right now though. This time of year, there are always a lot of common cold viruses going around, and flu is still going strong too.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Folks, please realize if you have a sore throat, a runny nose, and perhaps weepy eyes, you do NOT have the coronavirus.

Do not panic.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 hours ago, laylalex said:

I never realized what a face toucher I am until all of this. Any tips on reducing touching your face? 

Kelpie_wearing_an_Elizabethan_collar.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I was just in Kroger doing my normal Sunday morning shopping. There was a lady about 3 aisles over sounded like she had a lung coming up.  I looked up the aisle and she had her shirt over her mouth. Sounded like that deep bronchitis cough. So what you do?

4 hours ago, Neonred said:

Folks, please realize if you have a sore throat, a runny nose, and perhaps weepy eyes, you do NOT have the coronavirus.

Do not panic.

To be precise, these are not common symptoms. They can occur. As far as I know fever is the only thing that is always present, so I would go more with having a fever before I suspected anything. Even then they are seeing as many as 20% of people get no symptoms. 

I think the main thing is if you don't feel really sick, you don't need to go anywhere. They may (or may not) tell you to get tested, but they don't do anything for you. Even in ER, unless you have respiratory difficulties, they are telling people to go home and rest. 

Years ago in ER, we used to have to send out carbon monoxide tests and get the results the next day. We had one sarcastic doctor who used to tell patients that by the time the test comes back, they will either be completely recovered or they will be dead. The current COVID-19 testing made me think of that, because it's similar in many ways. By the time we get the test result back, most people will be feeling better, and the rest would already be seeking additional medical care. 

1 hour ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I was just in Kroger doing my normal Sunday morning shopping. There was a lady about 3 aisles over sounded like she had a lung coming up.  I looked up the aisle and she had her shirt over her mouth. Sounded like that deep bronchitis cough. So what you do?

Keep an eye on your symptoms for fever, muscle aches and stuff like that. I think we can do all we can to avoid people with symptoms. Beyond that I don't know. I really don't know what approach they are going to take if people think they might have been exposed. We can't all keep staying home just because someone coughed within 6 feet of us. 

I do regret not rescheduling my doctors appointment earlier this week. I felt fine until I left the doctors office. I'm not worried about Coronavirus, but I'm thinking now everyone with a sneeze or runny nose was probably trying to get a doctors appointment, so every cold virus that exists is probably circulating in medical facilities right now. They  are probably the worst place to be if you don't have to be there. 

Edited by Steeleballz

3 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

Kelpie_wearing_an_Elizabethan_collar.jpg

Don't give Alex any ideas!!! :lol: Luckily I saw this while he's in the shower.

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Don't give Alex any ideas!!! :lol: Luckily I saw this while he's in the shower.

I just realized I have a habit of licking my finger to open shopping bags, and it is a really hard habit to break. To make matters worse, it's also really hard to get the dang shopping bag open without doing that. The best thing would be if I just remembered to bring the reusable bags with me in the first place. I have been forgetting them in the car lately. 

I was thinking of attaching a 9v battery and run some electrodes to my finger. Just in case you wanted another idea. :D

Edited by Steeleballz

11 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I just realized I have a habit of licking my finger to open shopping bags, and it is a really hard habit to break. To make matters worse, it's also really hard to get the dang shopping bag open without doing that. The best thing would be if I just remembered to bring the reusable bags with me in the first place. I have been forgetting them in the car lately. 

I was thinking of attaching a 9v battery and run some electrodes to my finger. Just in case you wanted another idea. :D

Bring the reusable bags!!! I really recommend getting a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Shopping-Grocery/dp/B006WA9LRA They are so small when stuffed down and are washable. Then you have no excuse. The little clip on the side makes it easy to... um, clip on stuff. 

I am trying the cotton gloves idea. I know they spread the virus as easily as fingers, but the sensation of having them on my hands will remind me I'm touching myself. I bought a 12 pack and they are arriving on Tuesday, assuming we haven't gone into total societal lockdown by then. :P 

3 hours ago, laylalex said:

Bring the reusable bags!!! I really recommend getting a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Shopping-Grocery/dp/B006WA9LRA They are so small when stuffed down and are washable. Then you have no excuse. The little clip on the side makes it easy to... um, clip on stuff. 

I am trying the cotton gloves idea. I know they spread the virus as easily as fingers, but the sensation of having them on my hands will remind me I'm touching myself. I bought a 12 pack and they are arriving on Tuesday, assuming we haven't gone into total societal lockdown by then. :P 

Actually I'll have the same excuse. I'll forget them. It's called getting old.

My car reminds me of most of the things I need to do when I get out nowadays. I just need it to tell me when I am walking away without taking the shopping bags.

5 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Shop with gloves on (pretty easy here since its still freezing cold), avoid touching your face, stay away from people, sanitize whatever you can when you get home, wash hands and face. Rewash produce before eating. Avoid going outside as often as possible over the next weeks/months. It's really no different than during flu season, just with amplified paranoia.