Ollie7

Visiting US while I-130 is in process?

14 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,  

We have time off from work coming up and I want to visit my wife and dogs in the US for 7 days. Is this possible and what kind of percentage success rate would I be looking at? Being British I can apply for an ESTA. In terms of evidence to show I don't want to overstay, I will have my return ticket, and the lawyer we are working with mentioned he could draft a signed letter, but I work remotely and don't have a rent/mortgage as I'm staying with my parents until I complete the process and move to the US. This would be my first visit to the US as we met and lived together for many years in Asia. My main concern would be being turned away at the point of entry and any potential damage it would have on our I-130 application.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if she came to the UK instead, but I miss our dogs and would love to see them and also have a look around my future home city.

Thanks everyone! Your replies and advice from your experiences are appreciated.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You can visit. Traveling on ESTA is recommended. Denial is always a possibility. No harm on pending i130 if denied ESTA/entry.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Hi, I Recently travelled to the us from the uk (8th feb-23rd feb) on an ESTA. We had just received an RFE so I was worried I might have a problem entering, but I had no problem whatsoever, wasn’t even questioned about it. I think as long as you have a return flight you will be fine. 

hope this helps 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

My husband visited for a month a while back on VWP. He was pulled into secondary questioning for a while, probably as he wasn’t working in his country at the time, but ultimately he was let in after he mentioned we are going through the visa process to the second officer (first officer didn’t give him a chance to say anything after he said no about work!). But in the end of it all they let him through and stamped his passport. Coming from the UK I don’t think you should have too much trouble so long as you are honest though of course anything can happen

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have travelled so many times after I-130 filling.

No issues so far. 

This is what my lawyer told me when we were filling I-130.

Always keep in mind that there is possibility of denial.

Be honest when ask question

Have physical proofs to validate that you will come back.

Dont get upset if they wont let you enter becaue they have very much right to do it .

There is no impact on your case of denied entry 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Ollieh97 said:

Hi, I Recently travelled to the us from the uk (8th feb-23rd feb) on an ESTA. We had just received an RFE so I was worried I might have a problem entering, but I had no problem whatsoever, wasn’t even questioned about it. I think as long as you have a return flight you will be fine. 

hope this helps 

Thanks for letting me know about your experience! Now the problem has evolved to more about the coronavirus. I see that spouses are exempt from the ban, but I worry that if I did travel they may see the visa application in process, and that Im coming from the UK during a travel ban, and just decide to deny entry. Oh what strange times...

On 3/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, LilyJ said:

My husband visited for a month a while back on VWP. He was pulled into secondary questioning for a while, probably as he wasn’t working in his country at the time, but ultimately he was let in after he mentioned we are going through the visa process to the second officer (first officer didn’t give him a chance to say anything after he said no about work!). But in the end of it all they let him through and stamped his passport. Coming from the UK I don’t think you should have too much trouble so long as you are honest though of course anything can happen

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it! As I mentioned in another reply just now, unfortunately the travel ban and coronavirus situation has made me think they might just deny entry even though spouses are exempt. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has this but given the European ban only just started and the Uk/Ireland one not starting till tomorrow its still early days

I visited several times from the UK whilst the I-130 was being adjudicated but that was 4 years ago before Coronavirus had even been heard of. 

Your ties are not very strong. A return ticket is a legal requirement of the VWP so that counts for nothing. Every single person who entered on the VWP and overstayed had a return ticket as without a return ticket they would not have been able to board the plane in the first place. 

Working remotely - you already know that you can’t do that while you are visiting, I assume. 

All you do is buy a ticket and take your chances. No entry is ever guaranteed to VWP or B-2 people. An approved ESTA of visit visa does not guarantee admission. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

2 hours ago, Ollie7 said:

Thanks for letting me know about your experience! Now the problem has evolved to more about the coronavirus. I see that spouses are exempt from the ban, but I worry that if I did travel they may see the visa application in process, and that Im coming from the UK during a travel ban, and just decide to deny entry. Oh what strange times...

I am in the same position as you... I have got a letter signed by my boss and my landlady starting I am expected back at work on X date and that I am still an active tenant with a deposit a X address, alongside a return ticket. Hopefully will be OK. 

Re coronavirus - yes, it does say spouses are exempt. I hope they don’t expect spouses to already have green cards though as we would be vetoed. I’ve tried phoning my airline but they were so bombarded I couldn’t get though. Will phone the embassy tomorrow and report back on any info I get. It’s a case of proving that we are actually married to US citizens and confirmed we are allowed to travel. My flight is booked for March 28th and seems to still be running. For now..

3 hours ago, LondonerCat said:

I am in the same position as you... I have got a letter signed by my boss and my landlady starting I am expected back at work on X date and that I am still an active tenant with a deposit a X address, alongside a return ticket. Hopefully will be OK. 

Re coronavirus - yes, it does say spouses are exempt. I hope they don’t expect spouses to already have green cards though as we would be vetoed. I’ve tried phoning my airline but they were so bombarded I couldn’t get though. Will phone the embassy tomorrow and report back on any info I get. It’s a case of proving that we are actually married to US citizens and confirmed we are allowed to travel. My flight is booked for March 28th and seems to still be running. For now..

Hey there,

Thanks for the info. If you do get through to the embassy tomorrow I'd be interested to hear what they had to say please. Given it separates lawful permanent residents and then mentions 'any alien who is the spouse of a US citizen or lawful permanent resident' I would think we are covered by the exemption.

Thanks!
Ollie

5 hours ago, JFH said:

I visited several times from the UK whilst the I-130 was being adjudicated but that was 4 years ago before Coronavirus had even been heard of. 

Your ties are not very strong. A return ticket is a legal requirement of the VWP so that counts for nothing. Every single person who entered on the VWP and overstayed had a return ticket as without a return ticket they would not have been able to board the plane in the first place. 

Working remotely - you already know that you can’t do that while you are visiting, I assume. 

All you do is buy a ticket and take your chances. No entry is ever guaranteed to VWP or B-2 people. An approved ESTA of visit visa does not guarantee admission. 

Thanks for you feedback and glad to hear you were able to visit your spouse during the I-130 process.

Yes I definitely know I wouldn't be able to work whilst over there, and I wouldn't want to anyway as it's a holiday and I'd just be spending time with my wife and dogs!

Cheers

My wife is an ESTA holder and we both live abroad.  Both traveled in and out of US after submitting 130 last September once so far with no issues, pre corona.

Goodluck!

3 hours ago, cbro said:

My wife is an ESTA holder and we both live abroad.  Both traveled in and out of US after submitting 130 last September once so far with no issues, pre corona.

Goodluck!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad to hear you both were able to travel in and out with no issues

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Hijack post and replies to said post removed.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.