Jim Miller

Kidney Transplant

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I want to bring my spouses sister form Philippines to USA so my spouse (who is US Citizen) can get a kidney transplant from her how do I do it?

Is that even legal in the US? If it is I guess a B2 medical visa..you’d need supporting evidence from the hospital/medical team who have agreed to do the procedure, and proof that you can pay for all expenses involved.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t think that’s legal in the US?

Living kidney donation is accepted in the US. She would need a tourist visa for the purpose of medical treatment. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Miller said:

I want to bring my spouses sister form Philippines to USA so my spouse (who is US Citizen) can get a kidney transplant from her how do I do it?

That's not how that works.  You don't get to choose a kidney donor.  It is based on blood and tissue matching, and your spouse's transplant team will be going through the proper organ transplant channels to procure a kidney.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

That's not how that works.  You don't get to choose a kidney donor.  It is based on blood and tissue matching, and your spouse's transplant team will be going through the proper organ transplant channels to procure a kidney.

Correct. But if she is a match then she can choose to donate a kidney 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Living kidney donation is accepted in the US. She would need a tourist visa for the purpose of medical treatment. 

Perhaps, but there is no way to know if someone in a foreign country is an acceptable match to the transplant team.

Plus, how would it work that the donor would not have health insurance coverage while in the US for a complex procedure?  The recipient's insurance pays for some of the donor's total cost, but not all.

Just now, Lil bear said:

Correct. But if she is a match then she can choose to donate a kidney 

They will look for a match closer to home first.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Perhaps, but there is no way to know if someone in a foreign country is an acceptable match to the transplant team.

Plus, how would it work that the donor would not have health insurance coverage while in the US for a complex procedure?  The recipient's insurance pays for some of the donor's total cost, but not all.

Wouldn’t be the first person to self cover medical bills. Lots of challenges ahead but it is possible.  Maybe the tissue match has already been affirmed .. maybe the costs have already been investigated and a way to meet  them identified .. maybe , maybe not 

OP asked a question about visas .. 

Edited by Lil bear

8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

The reply you quoted was amended to reflect that.

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

In the context of being granted a visa in order to donate an organ.  I personally do not see this as likely.

3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Wouldn’t be the first person to self cover medical bills. Lots of challenges ahead but it is possible.  Maybe the tissue match has already been affirmed .. maybe the costs have already been investigated and a way to meet  them identified .. maybe , maybe not 

proof of ability to cover all expenses involved would certainly be a requirement for a visa. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

According to the translpnt team a sibling "IS the best match with least chance of rejection"  as long as parens are the same for both

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

They will look for a match closer to home first.

can be matched prior to coming here...USA is not the only medical facility in the world

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

According to the transplant team "the best match is a sibiling if both the parents are the same"  And "YES" we do coose the donor we can reject any oragn they offer..esp if it from HEP A-B-C   HIV. Cadaber, durg user etc

Timeline
23 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is that even legal in the US? If it is I guess a B2 medical visa..you’d need supporting evidence from the hospital/medical team who have agreed to do the procedure, and proof that you can pay for all expenses involved.

what is the difference if you asked a sisiter living in USA or another country ...it's still your sisiter 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

proof of ability to cover all expenses involved would certainly be a requirement for a visa. 

ta is required of every visa, Spouses insurance will cover cost once here ...just have to pay costs to bring here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.