radhk

USCIS Continous residence policy

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

USCIS released a new policy on continous residence. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20200226-BreaksInContinuousResidence.pdf

Based on this new policy once we break the continuous residence by living abroad for more than 6 months & less than a year  we can no longer apply N400 even if we can establish evidence that you have ties with US??

would  spouse tax returns , bank statements help in proving the ties with USA??

OR Do we have to wait until we reach 5 years of Continuous residence to apply??

can you please clarify this policy??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You just need to overcome the presumption that residency has been abandoned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
49 minutes ago, radhk said:

USCIS released a new policy on continous residence. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20200226-BreaksInContinuousResidence.pdf

Based on this new policy once we break the continuous residence by living abroad for more than 6 months & less than a year  we can no longer apply N400 even if we can establish evidence that you have ties with US??

would  spouse tax returns , bank statements help in proving the ties with USA??

OR Do we have to wait until we reach 5 years of Continuous residence to apply??

can you please clarify this policy??

The policy is clearly saying one can apply for citizenship if he proves the continuous residency. The new policy is just clarifying when one can apply for it if cannot prove the continuous residence.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
20 minutes ago, arken said:

The policy is clearly saying one can apply for citizenship if he proves the continuous residency. The new policy is just clarifying when one can apply for it if cannot prove the continuous residence.

thanks for the Reply. I do have my spouse Tax return Transcripts for last 10 years and bank statements for different rental payments. would that be sufficient enough to prove??

Timeline
3 minutes ago, radhk said:

thanks for the Reply. I do have my spouse Tax return Transcripts for last 10 years and bank statements for different rental payments. would that be sufficient enough to prove??

So your Spouse is the one who is naturalising, not in itself, where have they been and for how long?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So your Spouse is the one who is naturalising, not in itself, where have they been and for how long?

Left US 6/11/2015 Returned 6/6/2016 360 Days 

Outside US .  She went to india as her father was        hospitalized and Died same year.

She also had other trips later but they all were shorter. and she still lived in USA more than 30months. (913 days)

Edited by radhk
i have pay slips for entire duration as well.

Timeline

I would go with the Father backed up with what she has to show maintain residency.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I would go with the Father backed up with what she has to show maintain residency.

what documents do you think would help her?? we have his Death certificate .

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “general discussion”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Medical records, I would take all you have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

In my opinion because of the current immigration climate and the fact that they have chosen to clarify a policy in a more rigid fashion, one must assume they’re going to review the breaks in the light most unfavorable to the applicant.

Thus you must provide abundant evidence to overcome that assumption. Because in her case she cut it very close to the one year mark, plus other absences that you mention expect very heavy scrutiny. She’s essentially at the mercy of the interviewing officer.

Note that one could be considered as having broken continuous residence for naturalization even when found not to have abandoned residency.

Good luck.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

1 hour ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

In my opinion because of the current immigration climate and the fact that they have chosen to clarify a policy in a more rigid fashion, one must assume they’re going to review the breaks in the light most unfavorable to the applicant.

I think this is a good point because from what I can see, there isn't anything "new" - they are just drawing attention to this particular rule.

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

4/2019: Submitted N400

5/2019: Biometrics (3 weeks)

2/2020: Interview (10 months)

3/2020: Oath & naturalization (11 months)

6/2020: Passport received (3 months)

Officially a U.S. Citizen! 

Timeline
On 3/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Thus you must provide abundant evidence to overcome that assumption. Because in her case she cut it very close to the one year mark, plus other absences that you mention expect very heavy scrutiny. She’s essentially at the mercy of the interviewing officer.

Note that one could be considered as having broken continuous residence for naturalization even when found not to have abandoned residency.

Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion, If she waits until june 7th 2020 for the 4 year and 1 day Rule  will she be OK?? does she still need to prove continuous residency ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
23 minutes ago, radhk said:

thanks for the suggestion, If she waits until june 7th 2020 for the 4 year and 1 day Rule  will she be OK?? does she still need to prove continuous residency ???

She must wait 4 years and 6 months from 6/6/2016 before applying. See below directly from the USCIS website.

If the applicant is unable to rebut the presumption, he or she must wait until at least 6 months from reaching the 5-year anniversary of the newly established statutory period following the applicant’s return to the United States. In this example, the newly established statutory period began on August 1, 2018, when the applicant returned to the United States. Therefore, the earliest the applicant may re-apply for naturalization is February 1, 2023, which is at least 6 months from the 5-year anniversary of the pertinent statutory period.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-3

In my opinion if the money $725 is not a big deal she should go ahead and apply. Worst case she is denied. Remember the fee is going to go up.

But first of all why is she waiting for five years to apply? If you’re a citizen and you’re still married to her she only needs 3 years.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Timeline
37 minutes ago, radhk said:

Before 6/11/2015, how long has she been a GC? If more than 1 year, imo YES, she can apply 4 years +1 day after 360 day absence. I'm assuming you're not a USC?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.