rainbow-skies

We have decided to go with CR-1 & We Have Some More Questions! (merged topics)

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

My partner and I are so thankful to have found this platform. Yesterday I created a topic (seen below) more geared to the K1 Fiance Visa, as we have never really even thought of the CR-1 route.

Fortunately for the awesome community here, we were introduced to CR-1 and received plenty information and guidance regarding it.

Now, we have decided to scrap the K1 option, as CR-1 is the way for us.

However - we have more questions, and are looking for more help if possible.

Questions are (even if you can help with one of them, it would be greatly appreciated):

1)  How soon after CR-1 Visa is approved would I (the Canadian citizen) have to travel to the USA? Would I have time to close off any accounts and quit my job or do they only give you like a week to book and go to the POE (Point of Entry)?

2) When it comes to being granted my CR-1 Visa and getting ready to book my flight to the USA to be with my spouse, do I book a one-way (preferred) or a roundtrip?

I have heard of people booking a roundtrip and i'm unsure why. I would like to book one-way and remain in the US with my spouse.

3) Does anyone know how booking the consulate interview works? I am from Toronto so I believe I would have to go to Montreal for my interview. I wanted to know how much time I would have to book or if they would force me to go within one week. I just am worried it might become an issue because I would of course have to notify my employer of my 1-2 absence.

4)(Most important question to us) I plan to visit my partner in FL,USA early next year 2021 (with several other visits before then) to get married. We want to do a private ceremony just us and then a year later when I am settled in the US, to actually plan the wedding event with friends and family. -- This is our plan. We are scared of being flagged for fraudulent marriage so we want to hear from you the best way to get this done.

- can I basically go there on a visit, marry my partner, and then as soon as I return home to Canada we submit the CR1 application ? or do you recommend we complete and file the application before I leave to come back to Canada?

- some people have recommended getting married and then waiting one whole year before filing to demonstrate that it isn't fraudulent, whereas others get married and file CR1 right away -- WE ARE CONFUSED haha what is the best option? We obviously want to get married early 2021 and get me there as early as Jan 2022.

- We currently have dated/timestamped photos and videos together, travel history documents (me travelling to her in USA), skype video call logs, a screenshot of our initial interaction (online), gifts we have given each other (e.g. jewelery), cards/letters we mailed to each other when apart, etc -- Are we on the right track in term of evidences?

WE THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE AND APOLOGIZE FOR THE MANY QUESTIONS. WE REALLY JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE WE TAKE THE RIGHT STEPS IN THIS OVERWHELMING PROCESS.

Regards,

Melissa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  CR-1 visas are normally valid for 6 months from when the medical exam was done....but some visas have been known to expire in 4 or 5 months.  Make sure to check the actual date on the visa, itself.

2.  Book whichever is less expensive.  You do not have to book a round-trip ticket when immigrating.

3.  Your interview will be in Montreal.  You do not book your own interview for a CR-1.  NVC will assign your date at that stage.

4.  Your plan is fine.  The CR-1 can be filed anytime after marriage...and from anywhere. The sooner you start the process, the sooner the visa will be issued.  Whomever told you to wait for one year is clueless!!!!!  Disregard anything they say concerning immigration...

EDIT: The only time that advice might be wise is when it is a high fraud country, and there are multiple red flags....then, it might be wise for the US citizen to re-locate to the spouse's country for a year after marriage........this certainly does not apply in your case.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, missileman said:

1.  CR-1 visas are normally valid for 6 months from when the medical exam was done....but some visas have been known to expire in 4 or 5 months.  Make sure to check the actual date on the visa, itself.

2.  Book whichever is less expensive.  You do not have to book a round-trip ticket when immigrating.

3.  Your interview will be in Montreal.  You do not book your own interview for a CR-1.  NVC will assign your date at that stage.

4.  Your plan is fine.  The CR-1 can be filed anytime after marriage...and from anywhere. 

Whomever told you to wait for one year is out of their mind!!!!!  Disregard anything they say concerning immigration...

Thank you so much for this. Takes a huge weight of uncertainty off our shoulders.

I guess I will just have to anticipate when the interview will be scheduled and hope for time off.

Also I have a question, will I have to fly back to Montreal some days after the interview to retrieve any documents? Or do they mail them to my Canadian address? Or should I anticipate staying in Montreal for more days after the interview date?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

Thank you so much for this. Takes a huge weight of uncertainty off our shoulders.

I guess I will just have to anticipate when the interview will be scheduled and hope for time off.

Also I have a question, will I have to fly back to Montreal some days after the interview to retrieve any documents? Or do they mail them to my Canadian address? Or should I anticipate staying in Montreal for more days after the interview date?

I think you have made a wise decision....Please see my edited post at the bottom.  I'm not sure how Montreal handles visa delivery after the visa is issued.  There are some experts from Canada here who can answer that.  Good luck...

@Going through  @NikLR

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

43 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

1)  How soon after CR-1 Visa is approved would I (the Canadian citizen) have to travel to the USA? Would I have time to close off any accounts and quit my job or do they only give you like a week to book and go to the POE (Point of Entry)?

You will be issued an immigrant visa. It will be valid 6 months from the medical date. So you will have at least 5 months or something like that. 

44 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

2) When it comes to being granted my CR-1 Visa and getting ready to book my flight to the USA to be with my spouse, do I book a one-way (preferred) or a roundtrip?

I have heard of people booking a roundtrip and i'm unsure why. I would like to book one-way and remain in the US with my spouse.

You can book any way you want. Nobody cares about that. Sometimes booking round trip is cheaper than oneway, due to the wonder logic of airline ticket's algorithms.  Maybe that's why someone said it. 

47 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

3) Does anyone know how booking the consulate interview works? I am from Toronto so I believe I would have to go to Montreal for my interview. I wanted to know how much time I would have to book or if they would force me to go within one week. I just am worried it might become an issue because I would of course have to notify my employer of my 1-2 absence.

You don't book anything. At the stage, they will give you a date. It is usually at least 4 weeks ahead of the interview. Yes, you will have to go to Montreal. How's your French?

48 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

4)(Most important question to us) I plan to visit my partner in FL,USA early next year 2021 (with several other visits before then) to get married. We want to do a private ceremony just us and then a year later when I am settled in the US, to actually plan the wedding event with friends and family. -- This is our plan. We are scared of being flagged for fraudulent marriage so we want to hear from you the best way to get this done.

That's all fine. There is never a requirement to have a wedding anywhere. Lots of people get married without a wedding, either can't afford one or don't want one. Your plan is fine. 

50 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

an I basically go there on a visit, marry my partner, and then as soon as I return home to Canada we submit the CR1 application ? or do you recommend we complete and file the application before I leave to come back to Canada?

Either way, doesn't matter. 

50 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

some people have recommended getting married and then waiting one whole year before filing to demonstrate that it isn't fraudulent, whereas others get married and file CR1 right away -- WE ARE CONFUSED haha what is the best option? We obviously want to get married early 2021 and get me there as early as Jan 2022.

No, you do not have to wait one year. That's non-sense. However, there is one advantage to waiting down the road. The law states that if you have been married for less than 2 years by the time you enter with your immigrant visa, you will get a conditional green card that is valid for 2 years. At the end of those 2 years, you have to submit another application form I-751 to remove that condition. That is another cost, another wait, and another hurdle to get through. That application requires all the proofs of the bona fide marriage and all that stuff again. If you enter the US with the immigrant visa after you pass your 2 years anniversary, you skip all of that, you get a 10 years unconditional green card. You will be then eligible to apply for US citizenship 3 years after that, provide you still live in marital union with your partner. 

57 minutes ago, rainbow-skies said:

We currently have dated/timestamped photos and videos together, travel history documents (me travelling to her in USA), skype video call logs, a screenshot of our initial interaction (online), gifts we have given each other (e.g. jewelery), cards/letters we mailed to each other when apart, etc -- Are we on the right track in term of evidences?

Yes. After you get married, you want to start commingling your finances, taxes, ... stuff like that. Commingling finances are one of the best evidence. 

2 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

Hello everyone, 

My partner and I are so thankful to have found this platform. Yesterday I created a topic (seen below) more geared to the K1 Fiance Visa, as we have never really even thought of the CR-1 route.

Fortunately for the awesome community here, we were introduced to CR-1 and received plenty information and guidance regarding it.

Now, we have decided to scrap the K1 option, as CR-1 is the way for us.

However - we have more questions, and are looking for more help if possible.

Questions are (even if you can help with one of them, it would be greatly appreciated):

1)  How soon after CR-1 Visa is approved would I (the Canadian citizen) have to travel to the USA? Would I have time to close off any accounts and quit my job or do they only give you like a week to book and go to the POE (Point of Entry)?  6 months from the medical

2) When it comes to being granted my CR-1 Visa and getting ready to book my flight to the USA to be with my spouse, do I book a one-way (preferred) or a roundtrip? Whatever is cheapest is what people book.  You don't have to take the return obviously.  I don't think I've ever seen a Canadian to USA flight where the one way was more expensive than round trip. 

3) Does anyone know how booking the consulate interview works? I am from Toronto so I believe I would have to go to Montreal for my interview. I wanted to know how much time I would have to book or if they would force me to go within one week. I just am worried it might become an issue because I would of course have to notify my employer of my 1-2 absence. They normally give a month notice.  You can have your medical done in the Toronto area and really just spend a night in Montreal and leave the next day (interview day.)

- can I basically go there on a visit, marry my partner, and then as soon as I return home to Canada we submit the CR1 application ? or do you recommend we complete and file the application before I leave to come back to Canada? You can file as soon as you have the marriage certificate.

- some people have recommended getting married and then waiting one whole year before filing to demonstrate that it isn't fraudulent, whereas others get married and file CR1 right away -- WE ARE CONFUSED haha what is the best option? We obviously want to get married early 2021 and get me there as early as Jan 2022. You don't need to wait. 

- We currently have dated/timestamped photos and videos together, travel history documents (me travelling to her in USA), skype video call logs, a screenshot of our initial interaction (online), gifts we have given each other (e.g. jewelery), cards/letters we mailed to each other when apart, etc -- Are we on the right track in term of evidences? You are fine.  Canada is low fraud and the evidence necessary is slim.  Bascially visits and regular communication is all that's needed. 

WE THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE AND APOLOGIZE FOR THE MANY QUESTIONS. WE REALLY JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE WE TAKE THE RIGHT STEPS IN THIS OVERWHELMING PROCESS.

Regards,

Melissa

Answers in bold and red. :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
19 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Answers in bold and red. :D

Thank you for your continuous help and support. I am currently making my own checklist so that way I stay organized during this process. 

I appreciate everything!

50 minutes ago, PatoooskiCL said:

I am not sure how things work when you get back to Canada but they usually ask you what you did during your visit, I'd just say you were on vacation visiting your girlfriend I guess. Do not give out more information unless explicitly asked.

That makes sense. Thank you, I will keep this in mind.

1 hour ago, rainbow-skies said:

Oh definitely,  i will simply say I am visiting my partner - as I did last time I visited her.

But if I get married to her and then return to Canada, do I have to declare or state that I got married if they ask me in customs?

If you bring a ring back you're supposed to declare it.  

What you say when you go through CBP inspection is up to you as long as it's truthful. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Can anyone recommend or provide some tips on the financial aspect of building credit and finances in general?

- is there any way I can build US credit from within Canada, or even when I travel to visit my partner?

- how to best transfer all my funds/savings from my Canadian bank to a US bank when I move?

if there is any other important financial planning or information you think would be good to know and get a head start on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, rainbow-skies said:

Can anyone recommend or provide some tips on the financial aspect of building credit and finances in general?

- is there any way I can build US credit from within Canada, or even when I travel to visit my partner?

- how to best transfer all my funds/savings from my Canadian bank to a US bank when I move?

if there is any other important financial planning or information you think would be good to know and get a head start on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

When I moved here, from Winnipeg, I had set up a bank account with RBC and then a US Royal Bank a few months before moving here. You can transfer money between your Canadian account and US account very quickly and easily.

Then, when you're all moved, you can either close the Canadian account, or leave it open. I do recommend closing it though, otherwise it looks like you're trying to keep ties to Canada, when you're trying to move here.

As far as getting your passport back, which will contain your Visa, mine was mailed to me, and I had to go pick it up at Canada Post, as I had to show ID to get it.

When I was in Montreal, I had gotten my medical and Consulate interview the same week, so I was able to spend three days waiting for my medical package to be complete, and then bring it with me to the Consulate.

(on a side note).... I stayed in a hotel in the neighbourhood of the Consulate (just down the street actually) and it had a fantastic deli in the main level.....Lester's Deli. If you love poutine, and are a fan of Montreal smoked meat, I do HIGHLY recommend their poutine with smoked meat. It was FANTASTIC!!!

(on another note).... If you're looking for a really good Immigration Lawyer, I can highly recommend one, out of Florida. My mom used him, and then I used him to get my CR1 all sorted. I removed conditions myself, but really appreciated his help with the whole immigration process.

Edited by mtplace

What I miss most about Canada, in no particular order:

My family!

My friends!

KD!

Hawkins Cheezies!

Poutine!

Lays Ketchup Chips!

What I don't miss:

-40 degree weather

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, missileman said:

Whomever told you to wait for one year is clueless!!!!!  Disregard anything they say concerning immigration...

Might be that whoever said it didn't explain why. Maybe it would be to get an IR-1 so she/he doesn't need to remove conditions...

Actually if the plan to move in 2022 I would get married ASAP so could skip the ROC since the wait times for it is just crazy.  Does it really matter to get married now or in 2021?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Might be that whoever said it didn't explain why. Maybe it would be to get an IR-1 so she/he doesn't need to remove conditions...

Actually if the plan to move in 2022 I would get married ASAP so could skip the ROC since the wait times for it is just crazy.  Does it really matter to get married now or in 2021?

True. Waiting has its benefits for ROC.  I agree, getting married now would prevent the ROC hassle later..........(If only my wife had waited 30 days...true story...LOL)......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

True. Waiting has its benefits for ROC.  I agree, getting married now would prevent the ROC hassle later..........(If only my wife had waited 30 days...true story...LOL)......

Wow. So close! Unfortunately we couldn't do CR/IR so I will need to do ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.