CaseyBorne88

Traveling with passport in maiden name?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello. I just purchased an airline ticket yesterday using my married name. It didn't occur to me at the time that my passport still has my maiden name. Is this going to be a problem when traveling?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yes, it’s a problem, the name on the ticket should match the name on the passport or any other acceptable ID (in case of domestic travel) you will be using.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Alright Thanks. It hasn't been 24 hours since i purchased the ticket so would it be ok to simply change the name with the airline? I imagine that is a simpler process than trying to update the passport (especially since we haven't completed our ROM). If I change the name on the ticket would it be an issue on the return flight since my green card is in my married name?

Edited by CaseyBorne88

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Hello. I just purchased an airline ticket yesterday using my married name. It didn't occur to me at the time that my passport still has my maiden name. Is this going to be a problem when traveling?

:oops:     For international travel the name on the ticket must match the name in the passport.   

I doubt the airline will allow you to change the name on the ticket easily.. 

Not an issue with your name in your passport not matching your green card, simply carry a copy of your marriage certificate.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
7 minutes ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Alright Thanks. It hasn't been 24 hours since i purchased the ticket so would it be ok to simply change the name with the airline? I imagine that is a simpler process than trying to update the passport (especially since we haven't completed our ROM). If I change the name on the ticket would it be an issue on the return flight since my green card is in my married name?

Not sure if they will change the name. I guess you can cancel it and book a new one, usually no cancellation fee when done within 24 hours for majority of airlines. Bring marriage certificate with you as well just in case.

No issue upon returning, Passport for travel, GC for entering US.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Sounds like the simplest is cancel the ticket within the 24 window and purchase a new one.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/ticket-is-issued-in-my-maiden-name-my-passport-is-in-my-married-name.html

Timeline

My wife (filipina, passport in maiden name, US green card in married name) and i just flew back from Mexico 5 days ago and Canada a few months ago.  Both airline tickets were in married name.  Each crossing she showed passport (maiden name) green card (married name) and boarding pass (married name) with no issues.  She wasn't asked any questions about the name.  They looked at both IDs each time and passed her through.  The difference is the Philippines where she is traveling in 10 days.  Her ticket is issued in the maiden name, as we believe the Philippines would likely have issues with the naming.  She has yet to be asked for (although she does carry) her marriage certificate and other IDs (all in married name).

Based on that experience, I think either married or maiden name wouldn't cause an issue.  YMMV.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Too many horror stories out there to gamble.   Do a simple search on the web and you will find a long list of people that were denied because the name on the ticket did not match the name in the passport.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

10 hours ago, Grant PDX said:

My wife (filipina, passport in maiden name, US green card in married name) and i just flew back from Mexico 5 days ago and Canada a few months ago.  Both airline tickets were in married name.  Each crossing she showed passport (maiden name) green card (married name) and boarding pass (married name) with no issues.  She wasn't asked any questions about the name.  They looked at both IDs each time and passed her through.  The difference is the Philippines where she is traveling in 10 days.  Her ticket is issued in the maiden name, as we believe the Philippines would likely have issues with the naming.  She has yet to be asked for (although she does carry) her marriage certificate and other IDs (all in married name).

Based on that experience, I think either married or maiden name wouldn't cause an issue.  YMMV.

My wife was almost denied boarding twice (MNL-LAX, and MNL-DVO) because I made the mistake of making the ticket in her married name instead of the maiden name in her passport. Philippine airlines gave us ####### about changing it both times because they WOULD NOT allow her to board the plane with the ticket in her married name not with the name in her passport

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.