Burnt Reynolds

Court Upholds Trump Administration’s ‘Protect Life Rule’

47 posts in this topic

The full U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled Monday that the Trump administration’s “Protect Life Rule,” which marksa clear distinction between abortion and family planning, is constitutional.

The en banc Ninth Circuit ruled, 7-4, that the injunctions against enforcement of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Title X family planning funding rule be vacated.

In her opinion, Judge Sandra Ikuta, an appointee of President George W. Bush, showed that the distinction between family planning and abortion in Title X, which was first enacted in 1970, is not an invention of the Trump administration:

• Title X of the Public Health Service Act gives the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) authority to make grants to support “voluntary family planning projects” for the purpose of offering “a broad range of acceptable and effective family planning methods and services.” … Section 1008 of Title X prohibits grant funds from “be[ing] used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.”

The judge noted that while “[r]egulations issued in 1988, and upheld by the Supreme Court in 1991, completely prohibited the use of Title X funds in projects where clients received counseling or referrals for abortion as a method of family planning,” those “issued in 2000 were more permissive.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/24/court-upholds-trump-administrations-protect-life-rule/

Even though I'm pro choice, lost at them calling abortion "family planning". Killing your offspring, which the vast majority of abortions are for, is clearly antithetical to family planning.

Calif. Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the rule "obstructs access to care by gagging medical professionals from discussing all available options with their patients."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/9th-circuit-upholds-ban-on-abortion-referrals-at-federally-funded-family-planning-clinics/2240418/

"Hey doc, I was wondering, should I go for another cesarean or should I try for a VBAC?"

"As the great Michael Bloomberg once said.. 'kill it'.." #FamilyPlanning

Can't help but admire that Jason Voorhees or Charles Manson style of family planning.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

cesarean

Once knew a Cesar Ensalada, VayBAC when.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting decision coming from the 9th Circuit.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/24/court-upholds-trump-administrations-protect-life-rule/

Even though I'm pro choice, lost at them calling abortion "family planning". Killing your offspring, which the vast majority of abortions are for, is clearly antithetical to family planning.

Abortion is not killing your offspring, it's terminating a pregnancy, of course it's part of family planning! 

16 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/9th-circuit-upholds-ban-on-abortion-referrals-at-federally-funded-family-planning-clinics/2240418/

"Hey doc, I was wondering, should I go for another cesarean or should I try for a VBAC?"

"As the great Michael Bloomberg once said.. 'kill it'.." #FamilyPlanning

Can't help but admire that Jason Voorhees or Charles Manson style of family planning.

Abortion is not the same as a cesarean at all... 

Filed: Timeline
32 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Abortion is not killing your offspring, it's terminating a pregnancy, of course it's part of family planning! 

If abortion is "family planning", then robbing a bank is "progressive wealth accumulation".

Condoms, abstinence,  contraceptives... THOSE are family planning 

47 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Abortion in English usage means the deliberate end of pregnancy with an intended death of the child(ren).

Aborting a pregnancy with the intent of delivery is called a delivery. People who have multiple births, for example, generally need to "abort" their pregnancy early, but they don't have "abortions", nor do you ever hear them say they had an abortion. They say they had twins, or triplets, sons, daughters. 

The beauty of the deranged is the language they try to hide clear intent behind.

46 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Abortion is not the same as a cesarean at all... 

The comparison was "family planning", but nice try. In the first analogy, "cesarean" (as in, a scheduled cesarean) vs. "VBAC" is a common "family planning" choice for women who've had a prior cesarean.

Versus abortion.

Contrasting what is clearly family planning and what isn't. 

The overarching reason why this ruling is a good thing is, abortion isn't family planning. In extremely rare circumstances is abortion "healthcare". It isn't a decision to plan for, it isn't a good "choice". People can "choose" to make bad choices (this is why I'm pro choice), but it doesn't mean the medical field should promote it. Why should killing your own offspring be promoted as a viable choice?

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

25 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Abortion in English usage means the deliberate end of pregnancy with an intended death of the child(ren).

Aborting a pregnancy with the intent of delivery is called a delivery. People who have multiple births, for example, generally need to "abort" their pregnancy early, but they don't have "abortions", nor do you ever hear them say they had an abortion. They say they had twins, or triplets, sons, daughters. 

The beauty of the deranged is the language they try to hide clear intent behind.

The comparison was "family planning", but nice try. In the first analogy, "cesarean" (as in, a scheduled cesarean) vs. "VBAC" is a common "family planning" choice for women who've had a prior cesarean.

Versus abortion.

Contrasting what is clearly family planning and what isn't. 

The overarching reason why this ruling is a good thing is, abortion isn't family planning. In extremely rare circumstances is abortion "healthcare". It isn't a decision to plan for, it isn't a good "choice". People can "choose" to make bad choices (this is why I'm pro choice), but it doesn't mean the medical field should promote it. Why should killing your own offspring be promoted as a viable choice?

Abortion is always, in all cases, 100% safer than carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth, so yes, it's healthcare. Pregnancy is a serious condition, that's why a woman has the choice of whether to go through with it if she's afflicted by it. 

And of course that abortion is family planning. If a couple has an unwanted pregnancy or the woman gets pregnant before they're ready for a child or for another child, then terminating the pregnancy is a decision for their family. If a woman can't handle being pregnant while caring for her current children, it's her choice to stop being pregnant. Abortion is always a viable choice when a woman is pregnant. It should be presented as such and not shamed/hidden. 

43 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If abortion is "family planning", then robbing a bank is "progressive wealth accumulation".

Condoms, abstinence,  contraceptives... THOSE are family planning 

Abortion is plan B for when the other methods fail. It is definitely part of planning a family or planning not to have a family. It's a normal procedure that 1/3 of women will have in their lifetime. 

Edited by Orangesapples

37 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Abortion is always, in all cases, 100% safer than carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth, so yes, it's healthcare. Pregnancy is a serious condition, that's why a woman has the choice of whether to go through with it if she's afflicted by it. 

And of course that abortion is family planning. If a couple has an unwanted pregnancy or the woman gets pregnant before they're ready for a child or for another child, then terminating the pregnancy is a decision for their family. If a woman can't handle being pregnant while caring for her current children, it's her choice to stop being pregnant. Abortion is always a viable choice when a woman is pregnant. It should be presented as such and not shamed/hidden. 

- Killing a family member is family planning

- Pregnancy is a serious medical condition

- Yet killing your own offspring is normal

Apparently humans have been doing it wrong all these millennia. 

35 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Abortion is plan B for when the other methods fail. It is definitely part of planning a family or planning not to have a family. It's a normal procedure that 1/3 of women will have in their lifetime. 

Overwhelmingly, getting pregnant is an act that's clearly making the choice to have a family. The logical "choice" in having/not having a family is before getting pregnant.

The big picture here is, the point of healthcare, medicine, is to help people live, thrive. What you're suggesting is as if a doctor should present an option to someone who's depressed with cutting themselves with a razor blade, or jumping from a skyscraper/bridge. It's your choice, after all. Just because its a choice people have, doesn't mean its a choice to be promoted. It absolutely should be banned from promotion in the medical field unless medically necessary. Elective abortion isn't something to be promoted. It's a wretched choice. 

Instead, doctors should be sticking to giving medical advice. If a woman has an ectopic pregnancy, logically, medically, abortion is an option to be promoted, because its a medical emergency necessitating immediate action. A normal pregnancy (the vast majority of them) isn't a serious medical condition, it's how humans reproduce. No reproduction, no survival. Humans gone. The idea that pregnancy, part of this process, is a medical condition, while abortion is normal, is simply psychotic.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Timeline
32 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

No.  I disagree.  I know MANY women who have elected to not have children at all, or waited until they WERE ready to bear children.  By no means do I know more than a tiny percentage of women, but not one that I am aware of ever had an abortion.  I didn't say less than 1/3.  I said zero.  

If one is careful, there is no need for a plan B.  Killing a fetus because one is too lazy to take precautions is no excuse, in my mind.  And to be clear, because you and I haven't discussed this previously here on CEHST, I am pro choice for many reasons. But not for "oops I slipped.  Again."

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No.  I disagree.  I know MANY women who have elected to not have children at all, or waited until they WERE ready to bear children.  By no means do I know more than a tiny percentage of women, but not one that I am aware of ever had an abortion.  I didn't say less than 1/3.  I said zero.  

If one is careful, there is no need for a plan B.  Killing a fetus because one is too lazy to take precautions is no excuse, in my mind.  And to be clear, because you and I haven't discussed this previously here on CEHST, I am pro choice for many reasons. But not for "oops I slipped.  Again."

Why do you think anyone would tell you about theur abortion? I have friends I know for a fact have had an abortion and almost no one else knows. If you're outspoken about being against it, there is one more reason why they wouldn't tell you. I know I would never share my friend's secret with someone like you. 

The 1/3 number comes from scietific studies. The number might even be underestimated because women might not want to share their story even anonymously because of judgmental people. Many women who protest outside of abortion clinics even have abortions! They for sure wouldn't tell third friends and family. 

Birth control fails all the time. A woman has 30 years of her life when she can get pregnant and if she's in a serious relationship or married, she likely has regular sex. Even with the best of precautions, statistically it's not unlikely that she'll have an unwanted pregnancy at some point in her life. No woman wants to deal with being pregnant and having to have an abortion, it's mentally and physically stressful. It's not like women are having abortions for fun. 

11 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Interesting decision coming from the 9th Circuit.

Trump has put 10 judges on the 9th.