dvensel1

Driver license in NY state

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all.  I hope you can help my friend out.

She is currently employed and here on an H-1B working visa (in NY state).  She would like to get her license in this state to drive.

The local DMV told her she couldn't because she's not a permanent resident.  She's been here legally for over a year and her green card is forthcoming very soon.  I  believe they are wrong and she has a right to get a driver license here.  She's a professional Physical Therapist and would then be able to travel for her work.  Now, she needs to be taken or use taxis, which are almost non existent where she lives.  It seems I've read something about this and that an H-1B visa holder can legally apply for a driver permit and then license while here legally on an H-1B visa.  The locals said NO.  Again, I think they're wrong.  They were wrong on several other immigration issues before too.  One day I had to go down and straighten them out on this when my own wife applied for a permit.  They seemed a bit testy about it too, like they resented someone "not from here" wanting a license in this state.  Typical small town attitude, right?

Is the DMV correct on this?  Everything I've read up to now says she can indeed get a permit and then her license.  I'm hoping someone from NY state can help me and her out. 

Once again, she's been here for over a year (with extensions) and has been processed for her 2 year green card (Bios, etc. )  - all nice and neat and pretty.

Thanks for any help on this and I've suggested she join this super duper web site because there's none better than Visa Journey.  Thanks for being here for us!!

Doug

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I find it difficult to believe that New York will allow people who are in the country illegally to get a driver's license, yet she can not?   I think she needs to go to a different office.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Yeah.  Go figure.  She showed them her actual visa, plus the extension and yet they wouldn't accept it.  Hopefully her 2 year card will be coming.  She did her Bios 4 days ago, so it won't be too much longer.  I told her that when she goes, I'll go with her because I know them all down at the local DMV office.

It took me a couple of minutes to find that a foreign passport, with visa and i94, is acceptable to apply for a learner permit with (I presume she realizes she needs to do this first?) as proof of birth, I presume she has ssn with H1B, proof of residence - this checklist should indicate she meets all the requirements?

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentguide/dmv_license/DisplayPages/proofDateofBirth.cfm

looking again, maybe it’s the extensions that are causing the problem. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

12 minutes ago, dvensel1 said:

Hello all.  I hope you can help my friend out.

She is currently employed and here on an H-1B working visa (in NY state).  She would like to get her license in this state to drive.

The local DMV told her she couldn't because she's not a permanent resident.  She's been here legally for over a year and her green card is forthcoming very soon.  I  believe they are wrong and she has a right to get a driver license here.  She's a professional Physical Therapist and would then be able to travel for her work.  Now, she needs to be taken or use taxis, which are almost non existent where she lives.  It seems I've read something about this and that an H-1B visa holder can legally apply for a driver permit and then license while here legally on an H-1B visa.  The locals said NO.  Again, I think they're wrong.  They were wrong on several other immigration issues before too.  One day I had to go down and straighten them out on this when my own wife applied for a permit.  They seemed a bit testy about it too, like they resented someone "not from here" wanting a license in this state.  Typical small town attitude, right?

Is the DMV correct on this?  Everything I've read up to now says she can indeed get a permit and then her license.  I'm hoping someone from NY state can help me and her out. 

Once again, she's been here for over a year (with extensions) and has been processed for her 2 year green card (Bios, etc. )  - all nice and neat and pretty.

Thanks for any help on this and I've suggested she join this super duper web site because there's none better than Visa Journey.  Thanks for being here for us!!

Doug

I got my license in NY and I was there on a work visa. I did have a SSN though so not sure if that's needed there but definitely don't need to be a PR.

Timeline

Thanks!  That's what I thought too.  I called her for more info and she told me they wouldn't accept her official visa extension letter and this was the problem.  Evidently, these people aren't up on things?  They should have been fine with the letter along with her actual visa.  Ignorance is bliss in this little town and it meant they could go back to filing their nails.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It took me a couple of minutes to find that a foreign passport, with visa and i94, is acceptable to apply for a learner permit with (I presume she realizes she needs to do this first?) as proof of birth, I presume she has ssn with H1B, proof of residence - this checklist should indicate she meets all the requirements?

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentguide/dmv_license/DisplayPages/proofDateofBirth.cfm

looking again, maybe it’s the extensions that are causing the problem. 

BINGO!  When I called for more info, this is exactly what the problem was.  But they gave my wife her permit with her extension letter.  I don't get it.  I think they're just ignorant about it and denied her the permit.  Anyway, green card is coming now thanks to employer, so it won't be long and she'll get her permit.

1 minute ago, dvensel1 said:

Thanks!  That's what I thought too.  I called her for more info and she told me they wouldn't accept her official visa extension letter and this was the problem.  Evidently, these people aren't up on things?  They should have been fine with the letter along with her actual visa.  Ignorance is bliss in this little town and it meant they could go back to filing their nails.

It’s not the first time I’ve heard of extensions not being accepted. “Should have” does not always tally with the official list of accepted documents, even if to a reasonable person it’s the same thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The workers at NY DMV are infuriating.  I hate having to go there because it’s always something.  

If she is here legally, she can obtain a license from the state.  Unfortunately, it may take a few trips to get someone who has the brains to actually read the documents and figure it out. 

Agreed...seems like they just don't know what is required. it's like arguing with a wall.

Try another office.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, geowrian said:

Agreed...seems like they just don't know what is required. it's like arguing with a wall.

Try another office.

Not knowing the requirements in and of itself isn’t my issue with them.  I empathize that they are human and it’s just impossible to be an expert in every possible scenario.  

My problem is their unwillingness to look into it until the person becomes irritable.  They just say no it’s not possible and push you aside.  I had to lose my cool a little bit when I first arrived to get the woman to walk the 7 feet to her supervisor, and then they roped in a third person, and it took 3 hours but they got it done.  It’s just maddening that they don’t bother to

check into things. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.