laylalex

There’s even more evidence that cheese is good for you — and might even protect your heart

19 posts in this topic

During the study, Feeney broke participants down into four groups. The first group were the full-fat cheese eaters, ingesting the whopping 120 grams of cheddar a day. A second group of study participants ate reduced-fat cheddar and butter. A third ate butter in addition to protein powder and calcium supplements (mimicking the nutritional value of cheese), and a fourth group had no cheese at all.

Full-fat cheese eaters reduced their cholesterol most effectively, while the reduced-fat cheese eaters and butter-plus-supplement group lowered their cholesterol a bit, but not as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cheese-benefits-for-your-heart-cheese-matrix-2018-8

Yes!!! 🧀 🧀 🧀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I like the study, but I am curious why they only studied the Irish.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Irish researchers with a grant from the Irish government, it looks like. Perhaps they could replicate it in the US, although I'm not a middle-aged, overweight person who could take part. But give me time, give me time... and plenty of cheese. :lol: 

People doing these studies need to accept that the effect of dietary cholesterol is basically negligible for most people. That would help science along a bit. A small percentage of people will see their cholesterol increase if they consume too much in the diet. Most people just synthesize less internally when they consume more.

The highest my LDL cholesterol ever got was when I was cutting calories and eating a very healthy diet. The lowest it gets is usually when I am lifting a lot of heavy weights and eating a lot of fatty prime rib. Researchers insist on looking past the effects that our own metabolism has on cholesterol synthesis and pretending it comes down to the number of eggs we eat. Then they wonder why things keep getting worse.  

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Does cheese pizza count?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

39 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Does cheese pizza count?

the 1st person to post cat pizza nonsense gets reported 

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

the 1st person to post cat pizza nonsense gets reported 

Like this?

giphy.gif

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

People doing these studies need to accept that the effect of dietary cholesterol is basically negligible for most people. That would help science along a bit. A small percentage of people will see their cholesterol increase if they consume too much in the diet. Most people just synthesize less internally when they consume more.

The highest my LDL cholesterol ever got was when I was cutting calories and eating a very healthy diet. The lowest it gets is usually when I am lifting a lot of heavy weights and eating a lot of fatty prime rib. Researchers insist on looking past the effects that our own metabolism has on cholesterol synthesis and pretending it comes down to the number of eggs we eat. Then they wonder why things keep getting worse.  

What is the current thinking on raising HDL or ratios?

3 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

What is the current thinking on raising HDL or ratios?

Personally, I watch for LDL going up as that is more indicative of something going on with metabolism. I like HDL to be high, but I have never been able to raise it by anything other than exercise. 

HDL is responsible for returning cholesterol to the liver to be recycled so it's generally going to vary with synthesis. There's not much you can do to raise it artificially and I'm not sure there is a good reason to anyway. On the other hand LDL gets cholesterol into the cells, so if it's high, it can often indicate a problem with utilization at the cellular level. If I see a high LDL that doesn't make sense, I think thyroid issues or metabolic syndrome. 

Also for people losing weight, if you are losing a pound of fat a week, it can do the same thing to your cholesterol profile as eating a pound of bacon. People will sometimes get disappointed because they have been on a diet for 2 months and their LDL and cholesterol are way up. It's best to wait until the weight loss stabilizes and the diet is over for a month or two and then check. 

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Personally, I watch for LDL going up as that is more indicative of something going on with metabolism. I like HDL to be high, but I have never been able to raise it by anything other than exercise. 

HDL is responsible for returning cholesterol to the liver to be recycled so it's generally going to vary with synthesis. There's not much you can do to raise it artificially and I'm not sure there is a good reason to anyway. On the other hand LDL gets cholesterol into the cells, so if it's high, it can often indicate a problem with utilization at the cellular level. If I see a high LDL that doesn't make sense, I think thyroid issues or metabolic syndrome. 

Also for people losing weight, if you are losing a pound of fat a week, it can do the same thing to your cholesterol profile as eating a pound of bacon. People will sometimes get disappointed because they have been on a diet for 2 months and their LDL and cholesterol are way up. It's best to wait until the weight loss stabilizes and the diet is over for a month or two and then check. 

Lewis Black:

"

The people who told us about sun block were the same people who told us, when I was a kid, that eggs were good. So I ate a lot of eggs. Ten years later they said they were bad. I went, "Well, I just ate the eggs!" So I stopped eating eggs, and ten years later they said they were good again! Well, then I ate twice as many, and then they said they were bad. Well, now I'm really ####! Then they said they're good, they're bad, they're good, the whites are good, th-the yellows - make up your mind! It's breakfast I've gotta eat!"

7 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Lewis Black:

"

The people who told us about sun block were the same people who told us, when I was a kid, that eggs were good. So I ate a lot of eggs. Ten years later they said they were bad. I went, "Well, I just ate the eggs!" So I stopped eating eggs, and ten years later they said they were good again! Well, then I ate twice as many, and then they said they were bad. Well, now I'm really ####! Then they said they're good, they're bad, they're good, the whites are good, th-the yellows - make up your mind! It's breakfast I've gotta eat!"

I look at it this way. If 65% of financial advisers were bankrupt, I wouldn't be taking investing advice from them. So in a country where 65% of people are overweight or obese, I am dubious about what the nutrition and diet industry has to say. They have missed something.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Had my cholesterol tested annually for 20 years, was always low until I started drinking alcohol. Then my triglycerides went wonky.  But all those years, I ate a lot of red meats and eggs.  Actually, have been a regular egg eater (yes, the yolks too) all my life.  Natural fat in our diet is a good thing, I believe.  Saturated and trans, not so much.  Even now, with my triglyceride imbalance, my LDL is within tolerance for my age, but my HDL is too low.  My doctor tells me less carbs, less seafood, more exercise, and less red meat is what I need.  Four things I really have a hard time taking her advice on, sadly.

I took Niacin for a while, does that have a proven benefit in balancing triglycerides, or increasing HDL?

3 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Had my cholesterol tested annually for 20 years, was always low until I started drinking alcohol. Then my triglycerides went wonky.  But all those years, I ate a lot of red meats and eggs.  Actually, have been a regular egg eater (yes, the yolks too) all my life.  Natural fat in our diet is a good thing, I believe.  Saturated and trans, not so much.  Even now, with my triglyceride imbalance, my LDL is within tolerance for my age, but my HDL is too low.  My doctor tells me less carbs, less seafood, more exercise, and less red meat is what I need.  Four things I really have a hard time taking her advice on, sadly.

I took Niacin for a while, does that have a proven benefit in balancing triglycerides, or increasing HDL?

I think niacin increases HDL and decreases LDL for some people. It didn't do anything for me except made me feel like I'm covered with pepper spray. It may depend on what the underlying cause(s) are. My feeling is HDL is a good indicator of metabolic health to follow over time, but trying to raise it artificially is not really doing anything. LDL on the other hand can cause vascular issues if it starts to accumulate so it's worth trying to decrease it even if we are not sure what is causing it to get so high. 

My dog that obsessively cries his lungs out whenever cheese is present will be so thrilled to hear this news..

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Timeline
On 1/18/2020 at 8:12 PM, Steeleballz said:

I think niacin increases HDL and decreases LDL for some people. It didn't do anything for me except made me feel like I'm covered with pepper spray. It may depend on what the underlying cause(s) are. My feeling is HDL is a good indicator of metabolic health to follow over time, but trying to raise it artificially is not really doing anything. LDL on the other hand can cause vascular issues if it starts to accumulate so it's worth trying to decrease it even if we are not sure what is causing it to get so high. 

Thanks for the input, I value your opinion.

Yeah, I only made the mistake of taking it during the day one time.  Holy COW!!  I used to put a pill on my nightstand, and take it as I was rolling over to sleep at night.  And after a couple of weeks or so, even if I didn't fall asleep right away, it wasn't as bad as in the beginning.