Jennifer0220

Missing court documents

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Like someone suggested, I've thought of contacting the police department, but I don't know which it was. Baltimore Police department is massive and they will likely direct me to the precinct where it occurred. I have no idea where this was.

Just to clarify.  All I can do is get letters from the two places where the records should be (the Baltimore courthouse and the MD state archives) stating the record can't be found? Should I also write an explanation of what I remember happening to go along with this? 

20A.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

History of others facing this same dilemma here on VJ have received a denial because they did not think to expose a misdemeanor or any other "arrest" circumstances that was either expunge from their record or dismissed. Those cases came to light when USCIS did a background check. Seems that those cases never go away at the Federal level. Just our experience. There are a ton of examples through out VJ history.

Yeah, wasn't suggesting the OP NOT report it, just that the OP can't get proof and USCIS will have to do their own work.

Timeline

Like someone suggested, I've thought of contacting the police department, but I don't know which it was. Baltimore Police department is massive and they will likely direct me to the precinct where it occurred. I have no idea where this was.

Just to clarify.  All I can do is get letters from the two places where the records should be (the Baltimore courthouse and the MD state archives) stating the record can't be found? Should I also write an explanation of what I remember happening to go along with this? 

58 minutes ago, chi6488 said:

I would reach out to your state law enforcement equivalent to example FDLE, florida department of law enforcement.

Here in FL, they determine if your records are expunged, sealed, etc..... 

I have helped employees clear stupid stuff when they were young.  Me included

On a side note, my incident was when I was 17 with felony charges.  My file was sealed or expunged.  I did not disclose when I did my K1 because I knew I would have trouble getting information and no way to get certified letter.  I had trouble getting information when I did my citizenship when I was 30 in 2000.  I did disclose for my citizenship and for my global entry.  CBP didn't ask for certified letter and neither did USCIS during my citizenship process.  I submitted paperwork then from court that it was resolved and case closed.

Thank you! I was 19. I was a teenager but still an adult. This record was still coming up on MD's online court case search a few years ago. I wasn't convicted but I never took the time to have it expunged either. It should be around somewhere,  but it's just missing. I want to send the documents they want, and I'm more than willing to admit to the stupid things I did 20 years ago, but I have no idea how to track something down from 20 years ago when there's no record of it.

I appreciate your help. Thank you!

20A.jpg

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

Yeah, wasn't suggesting the OP NOT report it, just that the OP can't get proof and USCIS will have to do their own work.

I agree. I'm not trying to hide it, or I wouldn't have spent two months trying to track it down. I think all I can do is get certified letters from the court and state archives stating the record can't be found, and include an explanation of what happened? I also have an email from the MD state archives stating I should contact the court for the case number. I did and the court can't find ANY record of me being arrested in Baltimore. I've hit a wall, I think.

20A.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Jennifer0220 said:

I agree. I'm not trying to hide it, or I wouldn't have spent two months trying to track it down. I think all I can do is get certified letters from the court and state archives stating the record can't be found, and include an explanation of what happened? I also have an email from the MD state archives stating I should contact the court for the case number. I did and the court can't find ANY record of me being arrested in Baltimore. I've hit a wall, I think.

Just disclose the arrest on your K1 petition. Provide any documentation you have. Including the court letter stating that no record can be found. In my case, in addition to the court letter, I also provided a police certificate from the police department that had me arrested. The letter showed no record as well, as my record has been sealed because my case was dismissed. I would, also suggest, provide information/ explanation in the supplemental section. Just state that you were arrested, the charges (if you recall the charges), the outcome (if you recall the outcome), that no record can be found, and that you have provided the court letter stating that no record can be found. This all will be sufficient. Good luck.

Edited by Rob Beri

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Rob Beri said:

Just disclose the arrest on your K1 petition. Provide any documentation you have, including the court letter stating that no record can be found. Also, in my case, I provided a police certificate from the department that made my arrest. Then, in addition, provide information/ explanation in the supplemental section summarizing just that one you were arrested, charges if you recall, that no record can be found, and state that you provided court letter stating the latter. I think this will be more than sufficient. 

Thank you! This helps a lot. 

20A.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jennifer0220 said:

Thank you! This helps a lot. 

I have just updated my comment in case I was not clear enough in the first place. Again good luck. I think you will be all fine. No need to stress over it too much - happy holidays! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, Jennifer0220 said:

So should I also get another letter from the courthouse stating that the record couldn't be found? The letter from the state archive states that it wasn't found and I should send them the case number and they would search again. I contacted the courthouse for the case number and the courthouse had no record at all.

If you have a certified letter from the state saying no record exists, the courthouse won't be able to provide you with records either.

The letter from the state should suffice. I went that route because there are a dozen courts and frankly I don't remember which one I went through. And because no record exists, they can't help out 

Timeline
On 12/23/2019 at 1:39 AM, Solaris81 said:

If you have a certified letter from the state saying no record exists, the courthouse won't be able to provide you with records either.

The letter from the state should suffice. I went that route because there are a dozen courts and frankly I don't remember which one I went through. And because no record exists, they can't help out 

Thank you so much! This is what I've done. I requested a letter from the court as well because of the way the letter from the state is worded.

20A.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is there any update on this? Did you get approved? I got an RFE for missing court docs (from an underage drinking ticket I got like 11 years ago) and all I got back was a certified letter from the court stating there is no record of it. Wondering/hoping that will be enough. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarahbmalvin said:

Is there any update on this? Did you get approved? I got an RFE for missing court docs (from an underage drinking ticket I got like 11 years ago) and all I got back was a certified letter from the court stating there is no record of it. Wondering/hoping that will be enough. 

I'm sending in my application today.  I included the letter from the MD State Archives stating it couldn't be found, an email from the MD State Archives stating I should ask the courthouse for it, and another letter from the courthouse stating they couldn't find it.  Then I gave as much information as I remember about the case.  I'll try to remember to update.

Good Luck!

20A.jpg

Timeline

Hi!  I am looking for an opinion on my case. I got an RFE for missing court documents for three tickets I had received and disclosed on my i129, one was a littering ticket (which I was able to get the court certified record that it was disposed since it was from 2 years ago), one was an open container ticket from 9 years ago I called every court I could possibly think of and the best I could get was a certified letter from the court saying that there was no record of it and one was an underage drinking ticket from 11 years ago and again, all I could get was a court certified letter saying there was no record of it. 

Along with the letters I also sent my original letters to the courts, the receipts on court letterhead that I paid for the record search as well as the envelopes that the letters were mailed back to me in with the court stamped addresses on them. 

In your opinion, do you think this will be enough for approval? The offenses are so minor but I’m still worried. 

Thanks!

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Sarahbmalvin said:

Hi!  I am looking for an opinion on my case. I got an RFE for missing court documents for three tickets I had received and disclosed on my i129, one was a littering ticket (which I was able to get the court certified record that it was disposed since it was from 2 years ago), one was an open container ticket from 9 years ago I called every court I could possibly think of and the best I could get was a certified letter from the court saying that there was no record of it and one was an underage drinking ticket from 11 years ago and again, all I could get was a court certified letter saying there was no record of it. 

Along with the letters I also sent my original letters to the courts, the receipts on court letterhead that I paid for the record search as well as the envelopes that the letters were mailed back to me in with the court stamped addresses on them. 

In your opinion, do you think this will be enough for approval? The offenses are so minor but I’m still worried. 

Thanks!

That's what I did.  I sent as much as I could showing I tried to find the record but couldn't.  My application was just received on Tuesday, so I guess it will be a little while before I know if that was sufficient.

Good Luck!

20A.jpg

Timeline
13 hours ago, Jennifer0220 said:

That's what I did.  I sent as much as I could showing I tried to find the record but couldn't.  My application was just received on Tuesday, so I guess it will be a little while before I know if that was sufficient.

Good Luck!

We got approved today!! 

good luck to you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.