Jennifer0220

Missing court documents

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am applying for a K1 visa for my fiance. Unfortunately I have a criminal record from 20+ years ago when I was a teenager. I've been able to track down the records I need except for one. The state archives and the courthouse do not have the record. I spoke to an attorney and she said it was likely lost because it was so old. She suggested I get a background check to send in it's place. I contacted a company that runs fingerprints for the FBI, but they said they could only email a copy to me. They could not send me a certified copy for this.

I don't know what to do. I assume that a certified copy would be necessary. I have no idea how to get this. Can anyone tell me how I get a certified national background check?

20A.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I think you are going to need a certified letter from the court......not a background check......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

I have one from the state archive stating the record can't be found, but the attorney recommended I get the background check to send in place of the missing court record. 

20A.jpg

28 minutes ago, Jennifer0220 said:

I have one from the state archive stating the record can't be found, but the attorney recommended I get the background check to send in place of the missing court record. 

The background check will be worthless as USCIS will only rely on their background checks completed using a number of different data mining tools (FBI to mention one). The letter does two things, it proves you do not have access because for you and your local court no longer have access to your file and the other thing that it does, it tells USCIS that you confirmed that there was a court case in your past. Which doing it this way gives them confidence that you are not trying to hide anything. If you were, things may not turn out for the best for you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

So should I also get another letter from the courthouse stating that the record couldn't be found? The letter from the state archive states that it wasn't found and I should send them the case number and they would search again. I contacted the courthouse for the case number and the courthouse had no record at all.

20A.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jennifer0220 said:

So should I also get another letter from the courthouse stating that the record couldn't be found? The letter from the state archive states that it wasn't found and I should send them the case number and they would search again. I contacted the courthouse for the case number and the courthouse had no record at all.

Who had control over the "arrest"? State or local. Whomever had the control is the one you want to see about a letter.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

It was a misdemeanor charge in Baltimore. I assume that it was local. Unfortunately I have nothing to reference and confirm that. I was told that all records from 1999 and before are stored at the state archives, which is why I contacted the state archives first

20A.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

USCIS will certainly want more than just another background check (they will only rely on their own), and you go in stating all of these fragmentary details to USCIS, that will basically leaves them with one overall question, where is the certified court document to back up your spotty details and assertions?

Good luck on your immigration journey and Happy Holidays !!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

There is no certified court document. That's the problem. The state archive can't find it and neither can the courthouse. After 20+ years, it seems to be lost. I don't know what else to do or what to send in it's place. :(

I'm pregnant and this baby is coming in May, so I'm beginning to panic.

20A.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jennifer0220 said:

There is no certified court document. That's the problem. The state archive can't find it and neither can the courthouse. After 20+ years, it seems to be lost. I don't know what else to do or what to send in it's place. :(

The court should be able to generate and supply you with a certified letter of explanation that no records are on file for the case.....the explanation should come from the appropriate court...not an external criminal records check.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

In Maryland, court records are sent to the MD state archives after 20 years. Both the courthouse where the case was heard and the MD state archives are unable to find any record of this case. I assume, I would need certified letters from both to cover myself?

20A.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jennifer0220 said:

There is always the possibility that since you were a juvenile at the time, and since it was a misdemeanor at that,  the record was sealed from public information.  I would be willing to bet it is long gone, and the only evidence you will have is your own statement that it at one time existed. USCIS will no doubt fail to find any info either and have to take your word for it.  It's all you can do. 

13 hours ago, Jennifer0220 said:

In Maryland, court records are sent to the MD state archives after 20 years. Both the courthouse where the case was heard and the MD state archives are unable to find any record of this case. I assume, I would need certified letters from both to cover myself?

Yes, that would be prudent.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

8 hours ago, Highmystic said:

There is always the possibility that since you were a juvenile at the time, and since it was a misdemeanor at that,  the record was sealed from public information.  I would be willing to bet it is long gone, and the only evidence you will have is your own statement that it at one time existed. USCIS will no doubt fail to find any info either and have to take your word for it.  It's all you can do. 

History of others facing this same dilemma here on VJ have received a denial because they did not think to expose a misdemeanor or any other "arrest" circumstances that was either expunge from their record or dismissed. Those cases came to light when USCIS did a background check. Seems that those cases never go away at the Federal level. Just our experience. There are a ton of examples through out VJ history.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

I would reach out to your state law enforcement equivalent to example FDLE, florida department of law enforcement.

Here in FL, they determine if your records are expunged, sealed, etc..... 

I have helped employees clear stupid stuff when they were young.  Me included

On a side note, my incident was when I was 17 with felony charges.  My file was sealed or expunged.  I did not disclose when I did my K1 because I knew I would have trouble getting information and no way to get certified letter.  I had trouble getting information when I did my citizenship when I was 30 in 2000.  I did disclose for my citizenship and for my global entry.  CBP didn't ask for certified letter and neither did USCIS during my citizenship process.  I submitted paperwork then from court that it was resolved and case closed.

Edited by chi6488

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.