Kay & Evan

Can AOS be expedited if husband is in Navy Reserves?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

We are in process for K-1 now and our case is at NVC and hoping I can be in US by May - June and immediately get SS then married and apply for AOS as fat as we can. 

I didnt find much info when looking online, but they had mentioned to my fiance at the interview for reserves that they can speed up the process when he joins (if he passes that will be in May) but i am not sure if they realised it was K-1 and not a spousal visa or what process they meant exactly.

Does anyone know if it is possible to speed up AOS if he is in reserves? I care more about AP as my best friend is getting married and she asked me to be the maid of honour but with current AOS EAD and AP processing times it doesn't look like I could make it :( 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Kay & Evan said:

I didnt find much info when looking online, but they had mentioned to my fiance at the interview for reserves that they can speed up the process when he joins (if he passes that will be in May) but i am not sure if they realised it was K-1 and not a spousal visa or what process they meant exactly.

Who is "they"?

And the quick short answer is no. The adjustment of status is based on your situation, not your husband's. So his military status is not going to expedite unless he has deployment orders.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Who is "they"?

And the quick short answer is no. The adjustment of status is based on your situation, not your husband's. So his military status is not going to expedite unless he has deployment orders.

they is the interviewers

Thanks for your kind reply!

58 minutes ago, Kay & Evan said:

We are in process for K-1 now and our case is at NVC and hoping I can be in US by May - June and immediately get SS then married and apply for AOS as fat as we can. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to speed up AOS if he is in reserves? I care more about AP as my best friend is getting married and she asked me to be the maid of honour but with current AOS EAD and AP processing times it doesn't look like I could make it :( 

Thanks!

wait your foreign husband wants to join the Navy reserve ? Reserve is not deployment to war so i dont think that is a satisfactory reason to expedite

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is confusing but I think the female is Spanish and her US Fiancee is joining the Reserves?

Suppose he could be deployed but that quickly?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kay & Evan said:

Thanks!

Chances are they won’t expedite your I485 if you are already in the US filing for adjustment while your husband will be deployed (at least I tried twice even with letter from my commander and deployment orders). I’m currently deployed and I was only able to expedite I765 and I131 and get them approved within a month of filing for my pregnant wife so she can work and travel while I’m away. They’ve just scheduled her interview and she is attending it alone with copies of my deployment orders with other required documents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, Unlockable said:

Who is "they"?

There's a post on the sub that states that people have found success getting expedites without deployment orders, as long as your CO says there is a possibility of it.

Timeline
On 1/1/2020 at 1:54 AM, ohcoffeeeyes said:

There's a post on the sub that states that people have found success getting expedites without deployment orders, as long as your CO says there is a possibility of it.

thank you!

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.