12 posts in this topic

My husband just received his AOS interview date! His interview is next month. What should we expect? We live in NYC and will be interviewing in NYC. 

Does my husband need a new medical? He completed medical and vaccines for his K1 visa in August 2018 and submitted them at port of entry October 2018.

any one go or know of any couple who went to the interview expecting or just had a baby together? I will be 7 months pregnant when he interviews...I'm assuming/hoping that would trump a lot of questions being asked lol  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

technically you don't need to a new medical exam if you already took it overseas and it's marked complete.  BUT some poorly trained officers expect you to have a new medical, it's all really luck at that point.  If you have your DS-3025 it should be enough. worst case scenario they will tell you you need a resubmit a new one. it's up to you if you wanna do it now or after. but most of us do get approved with the DS-3025 alone.  All I can do is hope you get a very experienced officer.

Being prego might help, i dunno since anyone can get anyone pregnant these days lol. but maybe perhaps make sure you/whoever your sponsor is meets the required poverty line with baby to come?

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We had and submitted a “complete” DS3025 with our AOS package, but received a letter in the mail that we need to bring in a I693 to the interview. We had it completed by an approved civil surgeon, just to avoid any problems (K1 & K2)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

We just had our interview (in San Francisco) yesterday. I’m 6 months pregnant. The IO did ask us if we had documentation of the pregnancy: we brought an ultrasound photo to include in our evidence.

16 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

technically you don't need to a new medical exam if you already took it overseas and it's marked complete.  BUT some poorly trained officers expect you to have a new medical, it's all really luck at that point.  If you have your DS-3025 it should be enough. worst case scenario they will tell you you need a resubmit a new one. it's up to you if you wanna do it now or after. but most of us do get approved with the DS-3025 alone.  All I can do is hope you get a very experienced officer.

Being prego might help, i dunno since anyone can get anyone pregnant these days lol. but maybe perhaps make sure you/whoever your sponsor is meets the required poverty line with baby to come?

haha yes anyone can get pregnant these days lol. I was telling my husband its kind of good and bad only because they really is no way to prove that he is the father as yet lol. and thanks for the advice about the income level/ I am pretty sure I am good but I did not think to check so thanks 

10 hours ago, emariep said:

We just had our interview (in San Francisco) yesterday. I’m 6 months pregnant. The IO did ask us if we had documentation of the pregnancy: we brought an ultrasound photo to include in our evidence.

Great! Hope all went well! Thanks. We definitely will include the ultrasounds and our baby shower actually is right before our interview so will definitely include pics from there as well. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, SPaul said:

My husband just received his AOS interview date! His interview is next month. What should we expect? We live in NYC and will be interviewing in NYC. 

Does my husband need a new medical? He completed medical and vaccines for his K1 visa in August 2018 and submitted them at port of entry October 2018.

any one go or know of any couple who went to the interview expecting or just had a baby together? I will be 7 months pregnant when he interviews...I'm assuming/hoping that would trump a lot of questions being asked lol  

Ultrasound pictures, due date letter from the doc's office are good things to carry. 

The baby bump should help with the bonafide marriage part. Still carry all evidence you have just in case they want to see it.

The officer may ask your husband about your doc appts. 

You can bring in some snacks( given your condition) and water. There's a vending machine as well. 

I’ll have a new baby when I interview (due soon so likely around 6 months old when interview finally gets here if estimated processing times are correct). They definitely want to see birth certificates of children resulting from the union, so yes a bump will help. I’ve seen comments on here from some users who become emphatic and adamant that children and pregnancies are not considered at all, but that’s simply not true. USCIS states they do want to see birth certificates and documentation of pregnancies, etc. Not sure what “anyone can get pregnant these days” means as I’m pretty sure it works the same way it always has. 

Make sure you/your sponsor makes enough for a household of three! 

3 hours ago, Danny10 said:

Ultrasound pictures, due date letter from the doc's office are good things to carry. 

The baby bump should help with the bonafide marriage part. Still carry all evidence you have just in case they want to see it.

The officer may ask your husband about your doc appts. 

You can bring in some snacks( given your condition) and water. There's a vending machine as well. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Cndn said:

I’ll have a new baby when I interview (due soon so likely around 6 months old when interview finally gets here if estimated processing times are correct). They definitely want to see birth certificates of children resulting from the union, so yes a bump will help. I’ve seen comments on here from some users who become emphatic and adamant that children and pregnancies are not considered at all, but that’s simply not true. USCIS states they do want to see birth certificates and documentation of pregnancies, etc. Not sure what “anyone can get pregnant these days” means as I’m pretty sure it works the same way it always has. 

Make sure you/your sponsor makes enough for a household of three! 

Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Just had my AOS interview this morning. Went super smoothly! 

My officer was a sweet Puerto Rican lady and she was understanding and honestly the whole thing felt more like having a chat with a friend than anything else.

She asked our DOBs to confirm our identity aswell as some ID documents. Asked a couple of the "Yes or No" questions that were in AOS form we sent and a couple of personal questions ( nothing that you shouldn't know on the top of your head ) :

- how did we meet?

- when did I first visited him here in US?

- what did I like most about my husband and also what made our relationship work. Just to feel if there was chemistry. That was it. Didn't ask for any proof of a bonafide relationship. I guess we convinced her ☺️

She outright said we were gonna be approved but did have to check to see if my medical exam was still valid.

Just checked the AOS case status and it says Green card is being produced ☺️☺️☺️

Edited by cmfp1993

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Be sure to review the VJ sample AOS interview questions: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/us-visa-example-interview-questions/ .

Keeping in mind item #4 on the AOS appointment letter checklist we brought every shred of paper that we had accumulated thus far in our family's immigration journey. The IO first separated me and my wife (K1), and left my stepson (K2) in the waiting room. He grilled us for awhile, including asking to see my divorce decree, saying that a copy was not in the file. I know that I had placed a color laser copy in my initial I-129F petition oh long ago (had I not provided a copy prior, that would have likely resulted in a RFE, right?)... thankfully, I had the original (in a plastic page save sleeve) and (another) color laser copy. I gave him the original and the copy for comparison, and asked him to keep the copy for their file. We dodged that cheap shot at a RFE... He then brought in my stepson, and continued the grilling. He was not a pleasant IO, but we answered his questions and eventually got applications approval. Keep you cool, and don't forget to breath. Hopefully, with your obvious pregnancy, the IO will act more like a human, than a drone. Keep in mind, USCIS doesn't care too much about your pregnancy, it is after your baby is born that they become interested.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.