xoxchu

Medical Exam Review for Dr Gulzar Cheema Surrey 2019

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a review and run-down of my experience with Dr Cheema and his office when getting my medical exam for my Spousal Visa. My visa interview is on December 10th, 2019 at 7:30am. 

Before the appointment:

I contacted Dr Cheema's office through email on Thursday November 15th, 2019 and did not get a reply yet on the following Wednesday. On Wednesday, I followed up with them and received a phone call right away. The lady on the phone was very nice and calm, she apologized for missing the email and gave me all the information I needed and booked my appointment as well for Thursday November 28th, 2019 at 10:30am. I'm currently pregnant, so I asked her if I needed to go earlier due to their website saying that pregnant applicants needs to go to Vancouver to do their X-rays and will need 10 days for the results to come back. She said it was fine, and they now do the x-rays at the same place in Surrey. She also told me that I didn't need to bring five passport photos (as stated on their website) because they will take the photo when you are at the office. 

Make sure you collect all necessary documents that is listed on their website. It will make everything go a lot smoother. I saw families have to pay a lot of money for getting their shots at Dr Cheema's office. 

1. Passport
  2. Government issued ID (eg. drivers license)
  3. Appointment letter/ Email from the NVC
  4. Immunization Records - If you were born in Canada/ have gone to elementary school/ high school in Canada, you can go to your city's public health centre to obtain your immunization records. You'll also need to get a flu shot (between October and February).
  5. Payment - $350 (cash or debit only) 

During the appointment:

On the day of the appointment, I arrived at approx 10:20am. If you're driving, there is plenty of parking in the parking lot of the plaza that their office is located in. Upon arrival, I told the front desk that I was here for my medical exam, they told me to take a seat and wait for my name to be called. The secretary in the front called me shortly after, she collected all my documents, photocopied them and returned them to me. Payment was made at this time and a receipt is given. My photo was also taken at this time. I was then given 3 forms to fill out while seated. Just your basic information like date of birth, name, address, address in the US and such. After that, I returned the forms and sat down to wait to be called again. 

At about 11:20am approx an hour after I entered the office, I was called to an examination room. The lady who brought me in, took my weight and height. She then told me to please turn off my cell phone while in the examination room. Then Dr Cheema came in, he asked me questions very quickly, such as if I had mental health problems, if I do drugs.. etc. He breezed through them. He quickly listen to my chest, asked me to cover one eye and read him a letter, cover the other eye and read him a letter. Asked to lie down, since I was pregnant, he didn't press my abdomen. Then he left the room. From the time he came in and out, it was a total of three minutes. Only 3 minutes! 

The nurse came in to show me the address for the next two locations I needed to go to. Westcoast imaging and Life labs. She also told me I can pick up my medical exam results on Monday after 4pm or anytime the following days. You're given all the forms needed for your X-rays, blood tests and urine test. 

Xrays/ blood test/ urine test:

Once you leave the doctors office, West coast Imaging is the first place to go in terms of distance. It's a new building, therefore it is no longer at the same location as the life labs. There is parking behind the building of West coast imaging. Walked in, gave the front desk my papers and waited for about 10 minutes. I was then called inside, given a smock like apron and asked to change. If you're pregnant, make sure to tell the X-ray person you're pregnant. They'll give you extra protective layers around your pelvis and abdomen. Since it is chest x-ray only. 

Next is Life labs for your blood test and urine test. They're located on the second floor.  I walked in at approx 12:20pm and checked in at the front desk. Then you just sit and wait. They have a TV displaying how any people are in front of you and how long you have to wait. However, the wait time is just an estimate. I waited approx 35 minutes when the TV displayed that the wait would be 20 mins. One you're called up again, you show the lady your papers and ID. Then you for your blood test and also urine test. I was out of life labs by 1:05pm. 

Pick up day:

Pick up is back at Dr Cheema's office. Since I'm lucky enough to live in the Vancouver area, I chose not to go pick up my medical exam results on the day it was finished. I've heard that sometimes the results may not be ready on the day. So I went in on following Wednesday. Upon arrival, I told the front desk that I'm here to pick up the results, showed her my ID and she gave me two packages. One said "DO NOT OPEN" and that is the one that you need to take to take with you to the interview. The other smaller package was not sealed, inside it contained a CD of my X-rays and also my vaccination records from Dr Cheema. The front desk told me that the CD is for me to bring with me when I enter the US for the first time after the interview. If the custom officers ask for it, then I will give it to them. The vaccination records are just for my own keeping. She wished me luck on my interview and I was on my way. 

Hope my review for the medical exam from Dr Cheema was helpful!! Thank you for reading and good luck with your own medical exam and interview! 

Edited by xoxchu

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Great review!  Btw, I doubt any CBP officer will be looking for an x-ray CD.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

~~moved to Canada regional forum from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  Topic is regionally specific~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
17 hours ago, xoxchu said:

This is a review and run-down of my experience with Dr Cheema and his office when getting my medical exam for my Spousal Visa. My visa interview is on December 10th, 2019 at 7:30am. 

Before the appointment:

I contacted Dr Cheema's office through email on Thursday November 15th, 2019 and did not get a reply yet on the following Wednesday. On Wednesday, I followed up with them and received a phone call right away. The lady on the phone was very nice and calm, she apologized for missing the email and gave me all the information I needed and booked my appointment as well for Thursday November 28th, 2019 at 10:30am. I'm currently pregnant, so I asked her if I needed to go earlier due to their website saying that pregnant applicants needs to go to Vancouver to do their X-rays and will need 10 days for the results to come back. She said it was fine, and they now do the x-rays at the same place in Surrey. She also told me that I didn't need to bring five passport photos (as stated on their website) because they will take the photo when you are at the office. 

Make sure you collect all necessary documents that is listed on their website. It will make everything go a lot smoother. I saw families have to pay a lot of money for getting their shots at Dr Cheema's office. 

1. Passport
  2. Government issued ID (eg. drivers license)
  3. Appointment letter/ Email from the NVC
  4. Immunization Records - If you were born in Canada/ have gone to elementary school/ high school in Canada, you can go to your city's public health centre to obtain your immunization records. You'll also need to get a flu shot (between October and February).
  5. Payment - $350 (cash or debit only) 

During the appointment:

On the day of the appointment, I arrived at approx 10:20am. If you're driving, there is plenty of parking in the parking lot of the plaza that their office is located in. Upon arrival, I told the front desk that I was here for my medical exam, they told me to take a seat and wait for my name to be called. The secretary in the front called me shortly after, she collected all my documents, photocopied them and returned them to me. Payment was made at this time and a receipt is given. My photo was also taken at this time. I was then given 3 forms to fill out while seated. Just your basic information like date of birth, name, address, address in the US and such. After that, I returned the forms and sat down to wait to be called again. 

At about 11:20am approx an hour after I entered the office, I was called to an examination room. The lady who brought me in, took my weight and height. She then told me to please turn off my cell phone while in the examination room. Then Dr Cheema came in, he asked me questions very quickly, such as if I had mental health problems, if I do drugs.. etc. He breezed through them. He quickly listen to my chest, asked me to cover one eye and read him a letter, cover the other eye and read him a letter. Asked to lie down, since I was pregnant, he didn't press my abdomen. Then he left the room. From the time he came in and out, it was a total of three minutes. Only 3 minutes! 

The nurse came in to show me the address for the next two locations I needed to go to. Westcoast imaging and Life labs. She also told me I can pick up my medical exam results on Monday after 4pm or anytime the following days. You're given all the forms needed for your X-rays, blood tests and urine test. 

Xrays/ blood test/ urine test:

Once you leave the doctors office, West coast Imaging is the first place to go in terms of distance. It's a new building, therefore it is no longer at the same location as the life labs. There is parking behind the building of West coast imaging. Walked in, gave the front desk my papers and waited for about 10 minutes. I was then called inside, given a smock like apron and asked to change. If you're pregnant, make sure to tell the X-ray person you're pregnant. They'll give you extra protective layers around your pelvis and abdomen. Since it is chest x-ray only. 

Next is Life labs for your blood test and urine test. They're located on the second floor.  I walked in at approx 12:20pm and checked in at the front desk. Then you just sit and wait. They have a TV displaying how any people are in front of you and how long you have to wait. However, the wait time is just an estimate. I waited approx 35 minutes when the TV displayed that the wait would be 20 mins. One you're called up again, you show the lady your papers and ID. Then you for your blood test and also urine test. I was out of life labs by 1:05pm. 

Pick up day:

Pick up is back at Dr Cheema's office. Since I'm lucky enough to live in the Vancouver area, I chose not to go pick up my medical exam results on the day it was finished. I've heard that sometimes the results may not be ready on the day. So I went in on following Wednesday. Upon arrival, I told the front desk that I'm here to pick up the results, showed her my ID and she gave me two packages. One said "DO NOT OPEN" and that is the one that you need to take to take with you to the interview. The other smaller package was not sealed, inside it contained a CD of my X-rays and also my vaccination records from Dr Cheema. The front desk told me that the CD is for me to bring with me when I enter the US for the first time after the interview. If the custom officers ask for it, then I will give it to them. The vaccination records are just for my own keeping. She wished me luck on my interview and I was on my way. 

Hope my review for the medical exam from Dr Cheema was helpful!! Thank you for reading and good luck with your own medical exam and interview! 

Did you have to get your flu vaccine as well, does the doctor administer it himself.. Or had you had that done earlier? 

Congrats on the baby on the way, I'm pregnant too waiting for my appointment and medical at the same clinic 👍 

Edited by 0arial0

Timeline
7 hours ago, 0arial0 said:

Did you have to get your flu vaccine as well, does the doctor administer it himself.. Or had you had that done earlier? 

Congrats on the baby on the way, I'm pregnant too waiting for my appointment and medical at the same clinic 👍 

Thank you! Congrats to you as well! Make sure the x-ray people are aware you're pregnant and give you the protective layers during the x-ray! 

As for the flu vaccine, I just went to a Walmart pharmacy to get the flu shot and I made sure to ask them for some sort of documentation so I can bring it to show Dr Cheema's office. It's probably easier to get it done before going to the medical exam! :) Hope this is helpful! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a very similar experience seeing Dr Cheema while pregnant in early Nov, but West coast Imaging  was much different for me, I ended up having to argue with them to take my X-ray, the first tech outright refused because I was 15 weeks pregnant at the time, despite me having a waiver signed by Dr. Cheema.

A second tech came to talk to me and also tried to talk me out of it. She only agreed to do the xray after I told her I would leave without filing a complaint if she showed me proof that proved x-rays would harm an unborn child, with or without shielding. Otherwise I wanted a letter signed by them stating they refused to take my x-ray because I was pregnant.

She left me alone a few minutes and then returned and quickly took my xray and ushered me out. It was quite upsetting.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, xoxchu said:

1. Immunization Records - If you were born in Canada/ have gone to elementary school/ high school in Canada, you can go to your city's public health centre to obtain your immunization records. You'll also need to get a flu shot (between October and February)

Is this true?

We're K1 filers and my Canadian fiance lost his immunization record after his old doctor died and didn't' collect his files within 6 months after this death.

He is scheduled for a blood draw to check which antibodies he has and so he can get the shots that he need.

If this is true, then he doesn't need to do all these and can just go to public health center to obtain this record?

This is such a great news!!!!!

Because his doctor was telling him how all the hepatitis shots are going to need some time to be administered and etc.

Please let me know if anyone has helpful info regarding this situation. 

Timeline
On 1/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, fs2439 said:

Hi, I didnt know we needed to get x-rays? Especially if pregnant? What is this for? And did they require any vaccines other than flu if pregnant?

The chest x-ray is required, even if pregnant. I believe its to check for TB. I required all of the vaccines regularly required and I am pregnant, some can't be administrated while pregnant, so you should look for your records or have a blood test checking your immunities.

22 hours ago, :Sarah: said:

Is this true?

We're K1 filers and my Canadian fiance lost his immunization record after his old doctor died and didn't' collect his files within 6 months after this death.

He is scheduled for a blood draw to check which antibodies he has and so he can get the shots that he need.

If this is true, then he doesn't need to do all these and can just go to public health center to obtain this record?

This is such a great news!!!!!

Because his doctor was telling him how all the hepatitis shots are going to need some time to be administered and etc.

Please let me know if anyone has helpful info regarding this situation. 

I tried getting my records from the public health units in the areas I lived as a child and it was spotty at best. One city only had a record of my vaccines received in kindergarten, despite living there as an infant and being fully vaccinated. The other city had absolutely nothing, and had me call several places attempting to track down my record myself. You hopefully will have better luck, especially if your partner didn't move around much, or at all.

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Terribelle said:

The chest x-ray is required, even if pregnant. I believe its to check for TB. I required all of the vaccines regularly required and I am pregnant, some can't be administrated while pregnant, so you should look for your records or have a blood test checking your immunities.

I tried getting my records from the public health units in the areas I lived as a child and it was spotty at best. One city only had a record of my vaccines received in kindergarten, despite living there as an infant and being fully vaccinated. The other city had absolutely nothing, and had me call several places attempting to track down my record myself. You hopefully will have better luck, especially if your partner didn't move around much, or at all.

Thanks. I don't intend to do an xray or vaccines. Let's see how it goes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.