laylalex

24 States Would Have No Legal Protections for Abortion if Roe v. Wade Is Overturned

71 posts in this topic

The Center for Reproductive Rights created a map and report after examining legal factors, including laws, constitutions and court decisions, in the U.S. to determine whether abortion access would be expanded, protected, not protected or prohibited across all 50 states, U.S. territories and the District of Columbia.

The results showed that abortion would remain legal in 21 states, but 24 states – mostly in the central and southern regions of the U.S. – and three territories have no legal protections for abortion and would become "extremely vulnerable" to the implementation of draconian laws that would ban the practice.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-11-22/in-24-states-abortion-would-not-be-legally-protected-if-roe-v-wade-is-overturned

I'm very aware that out here in California, should I need to seek a termination, I'm "safe." (Not that I'm planning on it, but life has a way of going sideways when you least expect it.) But I'm not thinking about myself -- I'm thinking about the women and their partners and their families who live in other parts of the country who will be forced to continue pregnancies they do not want, or which in some cases may be a danger to their health. (Check out the new legislation up in Ohio if you think I'm being over the top: https://www.mic.com/p/ohios-latest-anti-choice-bill-makes-abortion-offense-worthy-of-death-19373919) I support a woman's right to choose, and especially a woman's right to protect her own health. 

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-11-22/in-24-states-abortion-would-not-be-legally-protected-if-roe-v-wade-is-overturned

I'm very aware that out here in California, should I need to seek a termination, I'm "safe." (Not that I'm planning on it, but life has a way of going sideways when you least expect it.) But I'm not thinking about myself -- I'm thinking about the women and their partners and their families who live in other parts of the country who will be forced to continue pregnancies they do not want, or which in some cases may be a danger to their health. (Check out the new legislation up in Ohio if you think I'm being over the top: https://www.mic.com/p/ohios-latest-anti-choice-bill-makes-abortion-offense-worthy-of-death-19373919) I support a woman's right to choose, and especially a woman's right to protect her own health. 

ROE vS Wade is not going to be overturned. Abortion is just an issue both sides use to draw people in the ditch

Just now, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

ROE vS Wade is not going to be overturned. Abortion is just an issue both sides use to draw people in the ditch

Well, I did say that the other week in here and I was told I was wrong. I agree with you that it's unlikely, but it's important to think about what could happen if you and I are both wrong.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, laylalex said:

Well, I did say that the other week in here and I was told I was wrong. I agree with you that it's unlikely, but it's important to think about what could happen if you and I are both wrong.

I just don't see a woman being denied an abortion in ANY state thanks to RvW.  Granted, I don't stay abreast of abortions in many states, so have there been any cases lately where an abortion was denied due to other than a medical reason?  If so, which state(s)?

55 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I just don't see a woman being denied an abortion in ANY state thanks to RvW.  Granted, I don't stay abreast of abortions in many states, so have there been any cases lately where an abortion was denied due to other than a medical reason?  If so, which state(s)?

You are correct that there haven't been any. Roe is still law, obviously, but it's important I think to bear in mind what could happen if (as I have been told on here) Roe is overturned.

Filed: Timeline
30 minutes ago, laylalex said:

You are correct that there haven't been any. Roe is still law, obviously, but it's important I think to bear in mind what could happen if (as I have been told on here) Roe is overturned.

No one is gonna stop ME from having an abortion!!

Oh please, @Boris Farage, not this again. It takes two people to fertilize an egg. I know you know this. Why is it only the woman's responsibility? Please remind me.

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Oh please, @Boris Farage, not this again. It takes two people to fertilize an egg. I know you know this. Why is it only the woman's responsibility? Please remind me.

It may take two to fertilize an egg, but only one of those two can actually get pregnant.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

It may take two to fertilize an egg, but only one of those two can actually get pregnant.

So if you made a slip up, or convinced a woman that you were (for example) incapable of impregnating a woman, it's her fault if she relies on you? I'm not saying you can't be a father to children, just that I don't think it's appropriate to say it's only one person's responsibility. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

So if you made a slip up, or convinced a woman that you were (for example) incapable of impregnating a woman, it's her fault if she relies on you? I'm not saying you can't be a father to children, just that I don't think it's appropriate to say it's only one person's responsibility. 

What you're speaking of are edge cases that do not represent the vast majority of pregnancies.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

14 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Playing the devil's advocate.  Why then does the woman get solely decision to terminate

18 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Playing the devil's advocate.  Why then does the woman get solely decision to terminate

Because ultimately it is her body in which a fetus would mature. To require her to continue a pregnancy that she does not wish to continue is to put her in involuntary servitude, provided that any termination is done within legal time limits. What is the benefit of forcing a woman to bring a pregnancy to term that she does not want? I would think that having a safe abortion under medical supervision would be better than her trying to induce her own abortion. Women are always going to find ways to terminate pregnancies. Abortion has been with us for millennia. Keeping it safe and legal is in the best interests of all of society.