65 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello guys,

so today my husbands I-485, I-131 and I-765 was DENIED 

it makes so sad to think i did something wrong so i went over my application and the only thing that i found incorrect was that my lawyer translated his birth certificate incorrectly.

he entered legally into the USA in April of 2019, he got approved for the K1 visa in april as well and we go married last week of April! We sent our petition May 2019  

i can not seem to figure out why we got denied

he's never entered the USA this has been his first visa and first adjustment of status

he has no criminal background in mexico nor the USA 

i sent photographs of our marriage 

i sent affidavit i make more than the minimum i am so confused to why they would deny us 

our case was at the National benefits center

we got NO RFE NO INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED

The last update online before the denial was “fingerprint fee was received”

he went into to do biometrics on JUNE 27  

please someone that has a similiar situation please help

im not sure what his legal status is now 

what do we do next? 

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

What did the denial letter say?

I havent received it yet so im not sure im just trying to think what i might have did wrong and what would my next steps be 

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Wait for the letter so you know the reason for denial.  You need to know the reason for the denial in order to make a plan to go forward.

Do you know if they will ask for other documents or its straight up denied and I have to re apply or sent the appeal?

Wait for the letter. Most likely there was a missing or lost document, you missed an RFE, or you missed an appointment. You can likely appeal / motion for reconsideration - or refile - depending on why it was denied. Don't panic...just wait for the letter to see why it was denied.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Wait for the letter. Most likely there was a missing or lost document, you missed an RFE, or you missed an appointment. You can likely appeal / motion for reconsideration - or refile - depending on why it was denied. Don't panic...just wait for the letter to see why it was denied.

I will wait for the letter i hope i did not miss anything 

im 100% sure i did not receive no letter about an RFE or an appointment nor did my lawyer i just hope they can reconsider

thank you for responding

19 minutes ago, Adriana & Johna said:

I will wait for the letter i hope i did not miss anything 

im 100% sure i did not receive no letter about an RFE or an appointment nor did my lawyer i just hope they can reconsider

thank you for responding

My brother-in-law never got a letter for his naturalization interview and actually missed the interview date. He received the denial letter. We called USCIS and screamed from the tops of our lungs. They just simply rescheduled another interview. Sometimes it happens.

Timeline
8 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

My brother-in-law never got a letter for his naturalization interview and actually missed the interview date. He received the denial letter. We called USCIS and screamed from the tops of our lungs. They just simply rescheduled another interview. Sometimes it happens.

I hope that does not happen to us, I would more upset if we missed an RFE or an interview. :( 

Just curious, do you know if your lawyer also receives letters on your case? My lawyer has copies of my NoA, I'm still quite early on in the process so I can't speak about RFE. Maybe check with him to see if he has received anything. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, kitkatlover said:

Just curious, do you know if your lawyer also receives letters on your case? My lawyer has copies of my NoA, I'm still quite early on in the process so I can't speak about RFE. Maybe check with him to see if he has received anything. 

Yes, She does, i informed her yesterday about the denial and she was surprised as well, she said for the most part denials are given after an interview, but I was looking over the petition she sent to USCIS and I found about 5 small errores, from date of births to country and city names, Im not sure if its because of that I am still waiting on a letter and so is she. 

8 minutes ago, Adriana & Johna said:

Yes, She does, i informed her yesterday about the denial and she was surprised as well, she said for the most part denials are given after an interview, but I was looking over the petition she sent to USCIS and I found about 5 small errores, from date of births to country and city names, Im not sure if its because of that I am still waiting on a letter and so is she. 

Oh my goodness! This makes me scared now. I hope that is not the case...My application has some typo mistakes too.  If your lawyer also receives updates on your case then you didn't miss any letters from USCIS. Are the mistakes in I-485?

Please keep us updated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, Adriana & Johna said:

i sent photographs of our marriage

Is that all you sent for evidence of a bona fide marriage relationship?  Any documents showing co-mingling of finances like joint bank account, utilities, lease, deed, property jointly owned, will, living will, beneficiary on retirement accounts, life insurance, etc.?  If all you sent were the photos, you should start gathering more evidence either to prepare to respond the denial letter or to submit when you file AOS again.  Good luck!

Typos and those types of minor mistakes almost certainly would not cause an outright denial. You're overthinking....wait for the letter.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.