90DayFinancier

The Guy Trump Cited as Proof There Wasn’t a Quid Pro Quo Just Said There Was a Quid Pro Quo

129 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

No -- the issue is that when a person refers to himself or herself as (for example) "wise" (or "old" or "kind" or whatever), they need an adjective. I (pronoun) am (instransitive linking verb) wise (adjective). En français, the sentence "I am wise" is "Je suis sage"; there is no feminine or masculine to distinguish here whether the adjective is referring to a man or a woman. "Sagesse" is a noun. To say, "Je suis sagesse" means "I am wisdom," which is a kind of poetic statement, but I'm not sure that's what is meant here, because what was said was to point out that she preferred saying she was wise rather than having someone say "you're old." 

Source: high school French, two French grandparents and one dad who spoke French at home with his parents. :) 

I saw “nom féminin”. Until she comes back to clarify, I’m gonna withhold judgment on your knowledge of the language.  After all, you HAVE been known to drink wine from a baux...

3 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I saw “nom féminin”. Until she comes back to clarify, I’m gonna withhold judgment on your knowledge of the language.  After all, you HAVE been known to drink wine from a baux...

Ce soir, tout le vin que je bois vient d'une bouteille, merci.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay anyone for French lessons because I can barely speak it any more! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Blanc ou rouge?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Ce soir, tout le vin que je bois vient d'une bouteille, merci.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay anyone for French lessons because I can barely speak it any more! 

You are drinking your rent(baux) ? I know a good real estate attorney if that will help.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Blanc ou rouge?

Blanc de blancs.

1 minute ago, 90DayFinancier said:

You are drinking your rent(baux) ? I know a good real estate attorney if that will help.

LOL. I thought "les baux" was leases? Srsly, it has been a LONG time since I had to speak or write a ton of French. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Blanc de blancs.

LOL. I thought "les baux" was leases? Srsly, it has been a LONG time since I had to speak or write a ton of French. 

plus Les beaux chose...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Canada's Quebec province has denied immigrant status to a French citizen because she was unable to demonstrate adequate French-language proficiency.

Quebec rejected Emilie Dubois' application apparently because part of her university thesis was in English.

Ms Dubois came to Quebec from France in 2012 and completed a doctorate at a French-language university.

The biology graduate said she alternated between "laughing and not understanding" when she got the letter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50241254

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

plus Les beaux chose...

"choses" -- you want a plural noun here.  :P 

This blanc de blancs is okay, it's actually from up near you. Willamette Valley apparently.

Just now, Boiler said:

Canada's Quebec province has denied immigrant status to a French citizen because she was unable to demonstrate adequate French-language proficiency.

Quebec rejected Emilie Dubois' application apparently because part of her university thesis was in English.

Ms Dubois came to Quebec from France in 2012 and completed a doctorate at a French-language university.

The biology graduate said she alternated between "laughing and not understanding" when she got the letter.

Oh, I was reading that earlier. How bizarre. That's like another level beyond of bureaucracy.

Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

"choses" -- you want a plural noun here.  :P 

This blanc de blancs is okay, it's actually from up near you. Willamette Valley apparently.

Okay maybe Salem area, which label?

Just now, 90DayFinancier said:

Okay maybe Salem area, which label?

Argyle. It's this one: https://www.totalwine.com/wine/champagne-sparkling-wine/sparkling-wine/blanc-de-blancs/argyle-brut-blanc-de-blanc/p/122561750 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Yup. I saw the winery. I love Dundee area.  Come up and try to get Dundee bistro.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
On 11/7/2019 at 10:21 PM, ALFKAD said:

You are indeed correct  @ALFKAD. Where English requires Adj+ Noun (wise woman) to convey the meaning, French has a noun (sagesse) that incorporates both wisdom and implies age to convey meaning. "Sage" in English is both noun and adj. The word for "box" in French is "boite", but boxed wine is "cubitainer de vin" and is "taboo" (Tangan) in France. (BS-French with minor in Linguistics, MA-Second Language Acquisition with TESOL, French husband)

Edit to add: not to be confused with "femme-sage" which is a mid-wife and "I don't know nothing 'bout birthin no babies".

Edited by theresaL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
On 11/7/2019 at 11:21 PM, Boiler said:

Well to be fair, Quebecois is different from Parisian French, so maybe she didn't demonstrate adequate Quebecois French???

41 minutes ago, theresaL said:

You are indeed correct  @ALFKAD. Where English requires Adj+ Noun (wise woman) to convey the meaning, French has a noun (sagesse) that incorporates both wisdom and implies age to convey meaning. "Sage" in English is both noun and adj. The word for "box" in French is "boite", but boxed wine is "cubitainer de vin" and is "taboo" (Tangan) in France. (BS-French with minor in Linguistics, MA-Second Language Acquisition with TESOL, French husband)

Edit to add: not to be confused with "femme-sage" which is a mid-wife and "I don't know nothing 'bout birthin no babies".

To be fair though, and I'm not saying that you are wrong in any way about the translation of "sagesse," but the context of the earlier comment was looking for an adjectival form, not a noun form. The original statement was:

On 11/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, ALFKAD said:

I didn't miss the point... you're OLD!!  🤪🤪

So, we have you (pronoun) + are (intransitive linking verb) + old (adjective). You could have pronoun + intransitive linking verb + noun, but you'd be looking for a definite or indefinite article to precede the noun, of course, for that to work (like "I am a sage"). But that's not really what we have here -- we need an adjective to step in for another adjective, especially in the absence of an article, in order for one to say "I prefer 'x adjective' to 'old'." My argument -- which I have no doubt you'll disagree with, but that's fine :) -- is that the adjectival form of "sagesse" is more appropriate here than the noun itself given the structure of ALFKAD's sentence en Anglais

You later go on to say:

On 11/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, theresaL said:

Old is a state of mind. I prefer "wise" or the French word "sagesse" it has a more poetic ring to it.

Now here, I think there's an excellent argument to make that you meant "old" here to stand in for "old age" when you say "old is a state of mind." But next you say you prefer "wise," which of course is an adjective. It's less clear that you don't mean it to function as an adjective here, at least to my less-tutored eyes. So when I saw you write "sagesse" afterwards, I was a little confused given that it's a noun, and ALFKAD's earlier sentence seems to be searching for an adjective as its replacement. That's all I'm getting at. 

I don't pretend to have a degree in any language -- I am only an art history major from a second tier Ivy after all :P and a recovering trophy wife -- but I do know a little about English grammar. 🤓

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, laylalex said:

To be fair though, and I'm not saying that you are wrong in any way about the translation of "sagesse," but the context of the earlier comment was looking for an adjectival form, not a noun form. The original statement was:

So, we have you (pronoun) + are (intransitive linking verb) + old (adjective). You could have pronoun + intransitive linking verb + noun, but you'd be looking for a definite or indefinite article to precede the noun, of course, for that to work (like "I am a sage"). But that's not really what we have here -- we need an adjective to step in for another adjective, especially in the absence of an article, in order for one to say "I prefer 'x adjective' to 'old'." My argument -- which I have no doubt you'll disagree with, but that's fine :) -- is that the adjectival form of "sagesse" is more appropriate here than the noun itself given the structure of ALFKAD's sentence en Anglais

You later go on to say:

Now here, I think there's an excellent argument to make that you meant "old" here to stand in for "old age" when you say "old is a state of mind." But next you say you prefer "wise," which of course is an adjective. It's less clear that you don't mean it to function as an adjective here, at least to my less-tutored eyes. So when I saw you write "sagesse" afterwards, I was a little confused given that it's a noun, and ALFKAD's earlier sentence seems to be searching for an adjective as its replacement. That's all I'm getting at. 

I don't pretend to have a degree in any language -- I am only an art history major from a second tier Ivy after all :P and a recovering trophy wife -- but I do know a little about English grammar. 🤓

Lucky for you I am not the type to say “I told you so!”