doodlebug

cat - outdoor or indoor?

outdoor or indoor cat?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your cat to go outdoors or is he/she an indoor cat?

• indoor
    • outdoor
    • i am a dog person

92 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I put.. I'm a dog person 100%.. BUT i do have a cat.. and she is outdoors... unless you truely live in the Sticks.. I think it is best to leave them in... and by Sticks I mean.. when you look out your window you DONT see another house!

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Our cat's an indoor one and she's quite happy. We back onto woods and I'd be too worried she'd go up there and disappear.

We've recently fenced in our yard so the dogs spend more time outside and she stands at the door meowing. I felt so bad I was carrying her out onto the porch and holding her while she sniffed the air and looked around.

Eventually I decided we had to find a solution, so we bought her a dog kennel thing from Walmart for $28. She loves it! She even sleeps in it when I bring it in the house. She sits out there watching the dogs run around, catching bugs and sleeping. I'd recommend one to anyone who wants their cat to get some fresh air but not let loose. There are more expensive alternatives that are all netted and specifically for cats, but this one works just great and is alot cheaper.

Here's a picture of her tormenting Sadie from the safety of her house.

post-17973-1181345609_thumb.jpg

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

It's funny, the shelter we adopted Sgàthach from made us sign something promising we'd never let her outside ... in the UK, shelters make you promise you won't keep the cat INside all the time!

My (British, obviously) sister in law still claims we're torturing the kitties by keeping them indoors.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Timeline
Does anyone think it's cruel to have a strictly indoors cat? As in, if you don't live in a place where you can let your cat out, you shouldn't own a cat.

(P.S. I'm not attacking anyone, I honestly don't know whether there are people who feel that way)

You can't let a cat roam outdoors in Dallas anymore, so it's not even a choice. Cats have to be on a leash or confined in a fenced area.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline
I put.. I'm a dog person 100%.. BUT i do have a cat.. and she is outdoors... unless you truely live in the Sticks.. I think it is best to leave them in... and by Sticks I mean.. when you look out your window you DONT see another house!

I just realized i put outdoor... OOPS!!!!!!

She is indoor!.. then I had a back porch.. she would go there.. but mainly stayed in the house

Edited by deemabrouk

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

I acquired my neighbor's cat last year and she's an indoor cat for the VT winter, and outdoor for the summer. They gave her to me because they were moving out to the sticks, and they know she wouldn't have lasted 48hrs with all the coyotes out there. She was actually raised an indoor cat, but when my neighbors got her, she just loved being outside, so they vaccinated her up and she has a great time bringing all kinds of wildlife in. :P As long as she's still healthy, I plan on taking her back home with me when we move even though she's getting be an old lady (nearly 11). I just couldn't bear to leave her behind. :no:

I must admit I do have a problem with indoor only cats unless it's due to climate/illness/safety. I guess because it's so common back in the UK for cats to be outdoor/indoor creatures. My tux who now lives with my Mum would go crazy if he was kept inside.

Don't even get me started on declawing. :bonk::diablo:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline

I had to sign something saying I'd keep Christabella indoors too. I always wondered how cats know where home is if they're outside. And how do you know they're at the door wanting to get in? :unsure:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I had to sign something saying I'd keep Christabella indoors too. I always wondered how cats know where home is if they're outside. And how do you know they're at the door wanting to get in? :unsure:

cat i had previously was an indoor cat, he was scared of the outside. i'm afraid to let my current kitty out, he's so darn cute someone will take him home.

kitty pic for mags and other cat lovers :D

quittstanding.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

im a dog person too but since getting the cat i guess im both.

i only let the cat out if im holding her in my arms. the dog gets to excape once in a while for a short jog around the yard but i keep my babies in the house safe from flees and cars.

i just go crazy when i see someones baby squashed on the road.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

i am not much of a pet lover :crying:

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i got mine declawed and it dont even faze her a bit. she still goes thru the motions of scratching but just no damage to anything. she still makes dough in my skin just no pain. i tried the soft caps and holding her down was not fun to put them on.

for ones with cat allergies here is a sight for you. there is info at the bottom. and yes this is where i got my kitty and she is the pic sleeping with my dog.http://www.keittasiberians.com/main_page.html

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i read somewhere that outdoor cats live less than half the lives (on average) than an indoor cat.

my cats are all indoor. we've had many outdoor cats in the past and found that most of them were eaten by coyotes, or run over by cars. not worth it in my neighborhood imho.

but currently my family has a cat who is 21 years old and he is indoor/outdoor. don't know how in the world he's survived this long when we've had cats before and after him who are long gone! :(

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

I have two mostly indoor cats, but we do have outings in the summer. And then they basically graze my entire garden as if they are goats. Good times.

And yes, I can't NOT post a pic of them :)

post-31051-1181420191_thumb.jpg

Timeline (2nd):

5/29/2009 - Filing I-751 Removal of conditions

6/01/2009 - CSC received I-751

6/04/2009 - check cashed (fast!)

6/08/2009 - received I-797C (receipt date 6/01)

6/22/2009 - received Biometrics Appt. Notice

7/01/2009 - received rescheduled Appt. Notice

7/23/2009 - Biometr. Appt.

7/24/2009 - A touch, a touch!

8/20/2009 - APPROVED! Oh, glorious day!

8/25/2009 - Card production e-mail received

8/31/2009 - Card received. Error :(

9/05/2009 - Returned green card with evidence of error & I-90

9/16/2009 - received I-797C (receipt date 9/14)

10/27/2009 - Correct card issued