doodlebug

cat - outdoor or indoor?

outdoor or indoor cat?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your cat to go outdoors or is he/she an indoor cat?

• indoor
    • outdoor
    • i am a dog person

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i'm currently housesitting for a woman who has three outdoor cats. everynight she spends a long time trying to round them up, especially one of them who hardly ever comes home until sometime the next day. now i'm going through the same drama. "blackie!!!!!!!!! blackie where are you?!?!?!" and shaking the cat treat bag. blahhhhhh! and blackie still hasn't come home since yesteday afternoon.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

All of those cute pics make me miss my kitty soooo much! I never get tired of looking at kitty pics with those sleepy eyes like in Erica's post. *heart melting*

I am a dog person, also. I am not 100% dog or cat, I usually pick my pets based on their personalities or just coincidence.

I voted indoor cat because that's how I cared for my last cat. He was an orange stray cat who wound up on our doorstep with his white brother. We cared for them outside for a couple of days. Then, they disappeared. About 2 days later, we found the white kitten had been killed. Probably by dogs or other animals closeby. A day or so later, my cat, Jazz, came back around and we decided that he had to be kept indoors. We lived in a pretty secluded area. Our house and our driveway was lined with trees on all sides, and our neighbors' houses were out of sight. But, I didn't feel my cat would be safe outdoors. He was indoors; all the time.

He slept on my pillow at night and purred me to sleep. He loved to cuddle. He would wait for me to come home from work and he never slept on the bed when I wasn't at home. My mother couldn't understand why I put so much love, time, and money into a stray cat, but he was worth it.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
My cat who passed away a few years ago was an outdoor cat and she lived to be 21 years old

our outdoor family cat also passed away about two weeks ago and he was 22 years old. well, we think he passed away... he finally just never came home after 22 years of coming home every day. so its safe to assume he died. :(

but we've also had at least 10 or so cats in that time that all were eaten by coyotes, gone missing, etc! some are just better adept to living outside but i think most are not!

btw, the missing cat i've been pet sitting for FINALLY came home last night. three days of worry. and now she's gone again and hopefully will return tonight. i'm sick of worrying day in and day out! lol :wacko:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

C. lived on a farm, and his cat, Tree, was an outdoor cat and is huge and seventeen pounds and somewhat arthritic, but seems to like the bush.

Samwise, my cat, is an indoor cat since I live in the city. She's (yeah, I know, they told me at the shelter she was male and by the time we took her to the vet we'd named her. Not like the cat knows what gender she is.) not declawed and not terribly destructive.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

We keep both of our kitties indoors. I've seen too many dead kitties in the streets to let them out. One of our friends has lost 4 cats within the past year or 2 because he let them go out. They all got hit by cars...

3dflags_fin0001-0001a.gifSanna and Daniel's journey3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

December 13, 2007 - I-751 submitted to NSC (removing of conditions fun begins...)

December 22 - Received a rejection notice because the form was not "properly signed". Package itself was not returned.

January 1, 2008 - Received packet back from CSC. They are requesting we resubmit the packet (which is already organized by CSC) with a properly signed form.

January 2 - Packet resubmitted to California.

January 12 - NOA1 received (dated 01/07/2008)

January 19 - Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 01/15/2008)

February 1 - Biometrics

March 11 - Approved! Card production ordered (notified via e-mail).

March 20, 2008 - New card arrived in the mail :)

Done until 2018 :)

For more details including K1 and AOS journies check out "Our story" in my profile =)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Our two cats live exclusively indoor, and they have their claws, too! :D

The cats do NOT want to go outside, ever! Not that they have an option or anything, but we do walk them on a leash every so often. They HATE it!

Ksenia

J1-F1-AOS-N400

Filed: Timeline

I found my cat in the stree when she was 3 months, I suppose she escaped because she was pretty good at trying all kind of tricks to go outside but managed to keep her in until she was 10 months. I mean it was bad every morning when I was living for work I had to trick her, so I was trowing away some brewer's yeast pills while I was opening the door to make a diversion, she is a brewer's yeast junkie :lol:

There is no way I could make her an inside cat if I live in a house like I do right now. When I was living downtown Paris, she was scared shitless to go even just in the hallway because of the honking noises and the brouhaha but when I moved here since we live in a house in a small town I couldn't keep her in, she scratches the doors and meows for hours!!!!!

I make sure she comes home at night, so I feed her half in the morning before she goes out and half at night when she comes back. The only few times she would not come back home at night, I was worried.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have had my cat for 16 years now. For the first 13 years while I lived in remote suburban neighborhoods she never had a litter box and was an indoor / outdoor cat. She would ask to go outside during the day and stayed inside every night.

For the past 3 years I have lived in a condominium and she is an indoor cat with a litter box as the area is not conducive to her being outside.

The biggest problem I had with keeping her inside was her wanting to claw the furniture – even though I bought every cat scratching post known to man. She quickly developed an affinity for leather. :angry:

Luckily, last year I moved in a bench made of finished 2x4s and she just loves to scratch it in order to care for her claws. If I knew I could have put in a simple piece of 2x4 wood for her I could have save several pieces of furniture. :yes:

texas101_1896_4011252.jpg

• 6 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

im so unbelievably shocked at how everyone here is saying indoors! I would never dream of keeping my cat indoors, indoors is probably safer for kids too but we don't keep them in, there is a world out there!

this must be a cultural thing because most people I knew in England had outdoor cats, they know exactly where there home is so no problem coming back but get to actually live like a cat, I don't agree with owning a pet unless you are improving its life and I cant see how a cat would be happy indoors, its like prison!

keep vaccinations up to date and keep them in at night when any natural nocturnal predators are about and you're fine, yes there are risk of cars outside but the same risk applies to us!

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Timeline

How did you find this 7-year-old thread?

searched for it...

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th

searched for it...

You wanted to know what VJ thought of cats?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I wanted to know what the opinions were on keeping them indoors or letting them outdoors