doodlebug

cat - outdoor or indoor?

outdoor or indoor cat?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your cat to go outdoors or is he/she an indoor cat?

• indoor
    • outdoor
    • i am a dog person

92 posts in this topic

We don't have a cat, but when we get some (and we will be getting some, at some point, two of 'em, and I can't wait!!) they will definitely be indoor cats. Husband thinks we should make sure whatever cats we get are declawed so they won't destroy stuff... hmm, I'm not so sure what I think about that.

Oh, and I'm in love with some (very very indoor) cats that live in a shop down the road. May have to kidnap them. (L)

Why declaw when you can get Soft Paws which achieve the same thing without maiming the cats!

Looking at that site now... I never knew such a thing existed! (Thank you!)

In the husband's defence, he would never (ever, ever, he's far too soft to even be able to think of any animal-maiming) actually get a cat declawed, but reckons we should get some declawed cats from a shelter. I'm with him on the shelter idea, but Soft Paws sound a much better idea than actually seeking out claw-less cats.

(I Still want to cat-nap the cats from the antique shop down the road, though.... )

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why declaw when you can get Soft Paws which achieve the same thing without maiming the cats!

that sooo sounded like a commercial.

I know, totally

We don't have a cat, but when we get some (and we will be getting some, at some point, two of 'em, and I can't wait!!) they will definitely be indoor cats. Husband thinks we should make sure whatever cats we get are declawed so they won't destroy stuff... hmm, I'm not so sure what I think about that.

Oh, and I'm in love with some (very very indoor) cats that live in a shop down the road. May have to kidnap them. (L)

Looking at that site now... I never knew such a thing existed! (Thank you!)

In the husband's defence, he would never (ever, ever, he's far too soft to even be able to think of any animal-maiming) actually get a cat declawed, but reckons we should get some declawed cats from a shelter. I'm with him on the shelter idea, but Soft Paws sound a much better idea than actually seeking out claw-less cats.

(I Still want to cat-nap the cats from the antique shop down the road, though.... )

We didn't specifically choose um, claw-ful cats, but I'm glad they have them because I know if they escaped they'd be able to take care of themselves until someone returned them to me. I am a dork and I make my cats wear collars and stuff though.

Sniff... I'm gonna miss em when we take them to my grandma's in 10 minutes for 10 days :cry:

eta: not anything against adopting a clawless kitty, it's just my own paranoias here...

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Before you even consider getting them de-clawed please read this:

http://www.declawing.com/

Most people here on VJ know that I am vehemently anti de-clawing, it is brutal and inhumane. I'm going to stop now before I get all emotional and angry! :lol:

Timeline

Most people here on VJ know that I am vehemently anti de-clawing, it is brutal and inhumane. I'm going to stop now before I get all emotional and angry! :lol:

Well, you know I'm with you on that one Mags! It looks like she doesn't want to declaw any kitties, though.

S'ok, Mags, we would never, ever, ever get a cat declawed (I agree with you totally), and wouldn't want to encourage the practice by getting one that had been declawed already, even - C. thinks it is just as evil but was talking about 'if a shelter had a cat that needed a home, that had already been declawed...' - even THAT would make me very uneasy. I agree with you completely, it's brutal, inhumane, and downright horrible! Would never occur to me in a million years to do such a thing, but I'm glad Alex gave me that link, so I can go 'see! we don't need to seek out poor mutilated cats, if you're really that worried about them scratching stuff!'

I'd be quite happy with a fully-clawed cat, but as I've never had a cat of my own, and he's had lots (clawy creatures all), I am apparently not qualified to comment! :blush:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline
our cats stay inside. We prefer to keep our cats alive.

They love to look outside the windows and the birds singing and all, but with the roads here, if they went outside they'll probably wind up missing or dead. I wouldn't risk that.

Plus I think if you raise your cat (s) indoor they should remain indoor.

Our cats were all shelter cats, so they were used to spending time outdoors. If we don't let them outside, they tear up the furniture or pee up the walls.

My cats in Texas were strictly indoor cats.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I am a dog person, but i do like other people's cats.

But if i had one it would definitely be kept inside.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

S'ok, Mags, we would never, ever, ever get a cat declawed (I agree with you totally), and wouldn't want to encourage the practice by getting one that had been declawed already, even - C. thinks it is just as evil but was talking about 'if a shelter had a cat that needed a home, that had already been declawed...' - even THAT would make me very uneasy. I agree with you completely, it's brutal, inhumane, and downright horrible! Would never occur to me in a million years to do such a thing, but I'm glad Alex gave me that link, so I can go 'see! we don't need to seek out poor mutilated cats, if you're really that worried about them scratching stuff!'

I'd be quite happy with a fully-clawed cat, but as I've never had a cat of my own, and he's had lots (clawy creatures all), I am apparently not qualified to comment! :blush:

*breathes easily* :lol:

As I understand it, sometimes those cats who were declawed have emotional issues due to loosing them. It can be great to adopt one if there is a fear of wrecked furnishings, and often it works out just great; just another downside of declawing. Depressed kitties can do damage in other ways.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Does anyone think it's cruel to have a strictly indoors cat? As in, if you don't live in a place where you can let your cat out, you shouldn't own a cat.

(P.S. I'm not attacking anyone, I honestly don't know whether there are people who feel that way)

Does anyone think it's cruel to have a strictly indoors cat? As in, if you don't live in a place where you can let your cat out, you shouldn't own a cat.

(P.S. I'm not attacking anyone, I honestly don't know whether there are people who feel that way)

i DO feel like my cat is slightly "delayed" because he is so immature and inexperienced. I have had indoor cats before that were mature, so maybe it is a personality thing. I see the view of it being unnatural but he has a TON of stuff to keep him occupied and happy. I :luv: my "slow" kitty. LOL

My other kitty who we had to put down last year WAS mature (she has been a stray prior so had kitty-street knowledge) was totally depressed being in the house. we had her on prozac. it was sad to see.

Timeline

Once an outdoor cat, always an outdoor cat at heart? I don't know. Our cats have never been outdoor cats (previous owner of older cat marked this on the shelter's intake sheet, the other was weaned, sent to indoor foster care, and then came home with us from the shelter) so they seem pretty happy inside. We have tried giving our older kitten a chance to go outside on a leash. It turns out she only likes to threaten the pigeons from the window... outside she is afraid of them! It's hilarious. But we'll try again sometime soon and that's the way we can offer her some outdoor time. If you have a yard you can also get a very long leash and stake it in the ground and let them run around a bit.

Timeline

Once an outdoor cat always an outdoor cat, IMO. Indoor cats, as long as they have a playmate can get along fine. Our 4 indoor cats play and explore and are always getting stuck in closets and under clothes. Today Ziggy managed to get in a cupboard and stuck behind the microwave.

Sassy was sniffing and pawing at this cupboard, tail all fluffed out. Larry and I were staring at it thinking "#######?", suddenly this paw came shooting out of the gap and frightened the life out of us. We though we had a mutant mouse in the house, or something. Nope, was just Ziggy, getting in places where he shouldn't. :luv:

Gratuitous cat shot now:

IMG00008-2.jpg

Sassy in a box. How unusual. :whistle:

Edited by mags

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I have 2 male cats...both rescues. One is declawed, the other isn't. (I am also vehemently opposed to declawing. I worked at an animal hospital and know first-hand the cruelty involved.)

They are content indoors for the most part, but both love a brief romp outside when the sun sets. I have a fenced in back yard, so my declawed baby boy can't go anywhere.

Lately, however, I have been keeping them strictly indoors because my vet told me that cats are notorious for being flea carriers...and my little schnauzer is a flea magnet.

Not in my house!! :no:

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived