MarkWatson1991

Looking for a second opinion about intent to domicile?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been out of the states for around 15 months, my last tax return was 2018-2019.

I've been told on a facebook i130 page that i don't have a strong enough case to prove domicile, as when i return to the states I will be living with my mom & step dad, before moving into an apartment. I will be getting the next flight home once we receive noa2, and will have an immediate job with my cousin at our family shop, i can provide two affidavits of support, and after two months of being home i will have accomodation for me and my wife. My bank account shows both our names, and i have money going through that account regularly. 

I'm looking for your opinion and advice regarding my domicile, and whether intent to domicile is accepted anymore?

thanks

Mark.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Maybe have your cousin formalize the job offer in writing.  It sounds like you plan to be in your own place prior to your wife’s interview so you should also have a lease by then, but you could also ask your parents to write up a quick lease agreement.  Additionally, I assume you have written a formal declaration to establish domicile.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Maybe have your cousin formalize the job offer in writing.  It sounds like you plan to be in your own place prior to your wife’s interview so you should also have a lease by then, but you could also ask your parents to write up a quick lease agreement.  Additionally, I assume you have written a formal declaration to establish domicile.

Good Luck!

My cousin said he can send me a letter from his own office, with letterhead and in formal text. so thats one thing i can confirm.

My parents would be happy to write up a lease agreement, so again another thing ticked off the list.

I can also write a declaration of intent to domicile, and/or prove domicile.

Would i be able to stay past noa2, if i prove INTENT to domicile, or would i have to return to the US?

I would really like to return on the same flight as my wifes, and have read intent to domicile isn't enough now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MarkWatson1991 said:

My cousin said he can send me a letter from his own office, with letterhead and in formal text. so thats one thing i can confirm.

My parents would be happy to write up a lease agreement, so again another thing ticked off the list.

I can also write a declaration of intent to domicile, and/or prove domicile.

Would i be able to stay past noa2, if i prove INTENT to domicile, or would i have to return to the US?

I would really like to return on the same flight as my wifes, and have read intent to domicile isn't enough now?

Not as well versed on the timing aspect, but I think you should be able to as long as you have the domicile intent evidence.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, MarkWatson1991 said:

Hi all,

I've been out of the states for around 15 months, my last tax return was 2018-2019.

I've been told on a facebook i130 page that i don't have a strong enough case to prove domicile, as when i return to the states I will be living with my mom & step dad, before moving into an apartment. I will be getting the next flight home once we receive noa2, and will have an immediate job with my cousin at our family shop, i can provide two affidavits of support, and after two months of being home i will have accomodation for me and my wife. My bank account shows both our names, and i have money going through that account regularly. 

I'm looking for your opinion and advice regarding my domicile, and whether intent to domicile is accepted anymore?

thanks

Mark.

LOL facebook

You’re fine.  Drivers license, bank account, any other financial accounts (cell, insurance, retirement, etc) plus a letter for an employment (and) an address to go to is pretty much all they ask for.  We never actually moved to the address we put on the I-130 - by interview time we had set up something else.
It would be super if all those addresses (bank, license, etc) match up.

You haven’t been outside the US long enough for this to be an issue.

Sponsoring is harder.  If you don’t have a lot of cash in the bank you’re going to need a joint sponsor or need to leave first and start working.  They dont take promises.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

If you’re intending to fly back to the US once NOA2 is received, you shouldn’t have to worry about intent to domicile, as intent for US domicile is done at NVC/interview stage and you’ll have already been back in the US. So domicile would already be proved just by you being back in the US already. But if you decide to stay instead of go back to the US after NOA2 as well, like others have said you should be fine proving your intent for domicile with what you have

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

domicile is not an issue if you leave the UK at NOA2 and have a job and place to live by interview.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.