12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone! 

My fiance and I currently doing a K-1. She is from Van, BC and I am from Idaho. We got an email from the NVC saying our case was being forwarded to the Embassy in Montreal. She has been here visiting for a minute. We called after getting that email and asked what we should do next. We told them what our email said. We were then told by the embassy person to file a DS-160 which we did while on the phone and then she also told us to schedule an interview basically right after filling it out. This was September 18thish? We called a few days later to make a medical exam in Surrey, BC. So last night(a month later) we were at Fedex printing a bunch of stuff out to get ready for the interview which is on November 20th. Going through some pictures her mom had sent of the mail, we noticed we missed the 2 page packet 3. So here is the issue: We already have an interview which is what the embassy told us to do. But packet 3 or whatever the two page thing they sent us says not to set it up until you get packet 4 after submitting packet 3? We submitted packet 3 right away sending her passport photo copy, the checklist, and the DS-160 confirmation last night. I've been up all night freaking out because I feel like this seems obviously like a big mistake on my part. I called the embassy this morning explaining what happened, but they just said the interview is good to go but also they didn't really know anything other than that. 

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL

CEAC says NO Status under the AA case number check but Immigrant status when I put the MTL number in shows ready so Idk.

If anyone could help or give some insight that would be greatly appreciated. My anxiety is through the roof over this. 

5 minutes ago, xvxcharlie said:

If anyone could help or give some insight that would be greatly appreciated. My anxiety is through the roof over this

I read your entire post and have no idea what the issue is. They told you to it was fine, straight from the horse's mouth. Just show up to the interview and it will be fine.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I read your entire post and have no idea what the issue is. They told you to it was fine, straight from the horse's mouth. Just show up to the interview and it will be fine.

You are probably right. I guess the issue is that Packet 3 says not to make an interview before sending it and we did because we didn't see Packet 3 until now. Idk tbh I'm nervous I didn't explain it well enough because as you can tell in the post above I'm a rambler. I'm just afraid that because we didn't get Packet 4 but already have an interview we are gonna show up all the way to Montreal and they are gonna say "you did this wrong. sorry." 

5 minutes ago, xvxcharlie said:

You are probably right. I guess the issue is that Packet 3 says not to make an interview before sending it and we did because we didn't see Packet 3 until now. Idk tbh I'm nervous I didn't explain it well enough because as you can tell in the post above I'm a rambler. I'm just afraid that because we didn't get Packet 4 but already have an interview we are gonna show up all the way to Montreal and they are gonna say "you did this wrong. sorry." 

You will be fine. Just go to the interview. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, xvxcharlie said:

Go to the Canadian regional forum for help from your fellow Canadians for all questions regarding Montreal 

YMMV

9 hours ago, xvxcharlie said:

Hello everyone! 

My fiance and I currently doing a K-1. She is from Van, BC and I am from Idaho. We got an email from the NVC saying our case was being forwarded to the Embassy in Montreal. She has been here visiting for a minute. We called after getting that email and asked what we should do next. We told them what our email said. We were then told by the embassy person to file a DS-160 which we did while on the phone and then she also told us to schedule an interview basically right after filling it out. This was September 18thish? We called a few days later to make a medical exam in Surrey, BC. So last night(a month later) we were at Fedex printing a bunch of stuff out to get ready for the interview which is on November 20th. Going through some pictures her mom had sent of the mail, we noticed we missed the 2 page packet 3. So here is the issue: We already have an interview which is what the embassy told us to do. But packet 3 or whatever the two page thing they sent us says not to set it up until you get packet 4 after submitting packet 3? We submitted packet 3 right away sending her passport photo copy, the checklist, and the DS-160 confirmation last night. I've been up all night freaking out because I feel like this seems obviously like a big mistake on my part. I called the embassy this morning explaining what happened, but they just said the interview is good to go but also they didn't really know anything other than that. 

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL

CEAC says NO Status under the AA case number check but Immigrant status when I put the MTL number in shows ready so Idk.

If anyone could help or give some insight that would be greatly appreciated. My anxiety is through the roof over this. 

Normally Canada requires you to wait for the P3 which takes 2-4 weeks from CEAC "Ready" status. Comply with what they ask for in P3 (the actual one they send you) by sending them a copy of the signed P3 checklist, your DS-160 confirmation and your Passport Bio. Then they send you P4. Then they tell you to register to schedule and you'll wait some more for interviews to open up, which only happens once a month during the last week of the month for two months ahead UNLESS you are lucky and you scoop up a cancellation. Get your medical appointment first so you can schedule the interview shortly afterwards.

Packet 3: https://ca.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/07/Packet3Instructions-K1.pdf  And Packet 4 for reference also: https://ca.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/03/Packet4-MTL.pdf

For all things dealing with the US Consulate in Canada head on over to the sub-forum for Canada where they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Birth Certificate and Police Certificate information

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aa5iWVtFniXGWavXN0zs-94dewD2Fdfy/view?usp=sharing

Here is some additional information. As was stated in the Canadian sub-forum there is an "emergency order" application in Ontario. You need the birth cert that is CERTIFIED COPY OF BIRTH REGISTRATION that has the parents name. You don't want the "parental cert" that is a wallet sized one with parents names but no place of birth, doctors who attended birth etc. The parental one is for parents travelling with kids to prove custody in an easy to use/travel with format. Hope this clears up your question. CALL the registrar and tell them you need to do an emergency application otherwise you will be waiting 15+ weeks. Absolutely the long form is a required LIVE document needed at the interview or you'll get rejected.  I hope this info is helpful and best of luck.

In case you're doing the medical in Vancouver: Dr. Cheema requires you to schedule the interview first in order to book the medical.

Routine vaccinations such as MMR, Tetanus, Flu Shots, etc are offered free of charge in the province of Ontario. Patients can walk into any health care clinical or family physician office and receive these immunizations for free.  it would be better to go and get your vaccinations free of charge rather than pay any additional fees at these the medical exams. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I never actually received P3. I waited until I saw the second "ready" on CEAC and sent in my P3 docs immediately. The next day I received P4 and was able to pay the fee and book my interview (luckily!). I think it's interesting that you were able to book your interview before submitting/receiving anything, but I am sure you are fine considering you spoke with them. Maybe try sending Montreal an email if you are still worried! 

Timeline

Well and I think I should have included this and elaborated: we had some issues with the nvc receiving our paperwork late. When we finally heard they were sending it to the embassy we called the embassy right away because we just wanted to be on top of things. And my fiancé is here visiting till next week and when they sent packet 3 it was sent to her Canadian address so we didn’t see it. So when we called we called the embassy direct asking us what to do next they said file ds-160 and had us call 438 793 1947

i spoke to a woman asked her if they had received our paperwork from the nvc. So then she said you need to do your ds-160 so you can schedule an interview which is what we did on the phone. I’m just confused why she’d tell me to make the interview because realistically the ds-160 is required for packet 3 and with that being said, P3 would need to be done before getting P4 to submit an interview. So Last night we got some reason looked at the picture of P3 her mom sent and noticed we didn’t do it, because when she sent the picture I’m dumb and just skimmed it and thought it was basically just them saying we got your paperwork do the ds160. So my hope is hopefully we find out next week if we get packet 3 back and then packet 4 because looking at everyone’s timeline it looks like a quick turn around and maybe we can just keep our same appointment? Idk it also says not to make an appointment(which we did) it also says any unauthorized appts will be canceled. So rn were idling by to figure out what’s next so we can either go November 20th or cancel our plane tickets and regroup

4 minutes ago, xvxcharlie said:

Well and I think I should have included this and elaborated: we had some issues with the nvc receiving our paperwork late. When we finally heard they were sending it to the embassy we called the embassy right away because we just wanted to be on top of things. And my fiancé is here visiting till next week and when they sent packet 3 it was sent to her Canadian address so we didn’t see it. So when we called we called the embassy direct asking us what to do next they said file ds-160 and had us call 438 793 1947

i spoke to a woman asked her if they had received our paperwork from the nvc. So then she said you need to do your ds-160 so you can schedule an interview which is what we did on the phone. I’m just confused why she’d tell me to make the interview because realistically the ds-160 is required for packet 3 and with that being said, P3 would need to be done before getting P4 to submit an interview. So Last night we got some reason looked at the picture of P3 her mom sent and noticed we didn’t do it, because when she sent the picture I’m dumb and just skimmed it and thought it was basically just them saying we got your paperwork do the ds160. So my hope is hopefully we find out next week if we get packet 3 back and then packet 4 because looking at everyone’s timeline it looks like a quick turn around and maybe we can just keep our same appointment? Idk it also says not to make an appointment(which we did) it also says any unauthorized appts will be canceled. So rn were idling by to figure out what’s next so we can either go November 20th or cancel our plane tickets and regroup

Well, I kind of answered the "what's next question". Take a look at the instructions I posted and regroup from the beginning. Simple.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

Well, I kind of answered the "what's next question". Take a look at the instructions I posted and regroup from the beginning. Simple.

I did send the P3 stuff(passport scan, ds-160 confirmation, and check list) last night so I’ll hopefully here back after the weekend. Ceac says ready. I’m just curious as to why they told me to make the interview right after on the same call we did the ds160. Not that it matters at this point just frustrated and venting because it felt so close and now it’s potentially not as close. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Normally Canada requires you to wait for the P3 which takes 2-4 weeks from CEAC "Ready" status. Comply with what they ask for in P3 (the actual one they send you) by sending them a copy of the signed P3 checklist, your DS-160 confirmation and your Passport Bio. Then they send you P4. Then they tell you to register to schedule and you'll wait some more for interviews to open up, which only happens once a month during the last week of the month for two months ahead UNLESS you are lucky and you scoop up a cancellation. Get your medical appointment first so you can schedule the interview shortly afterwards.

Packet 3: https://ca.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/07/Packet3Instructions-K1.pdf  And Packet 4 for reference also: https://ca.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/03/Packet4-MTL.pdf

For all things dealing with the US Consulate in Canada head on over to the sub-forum for Canada where they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Birth Certificate and Police Certificate information

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aa5iWVtFniXGWavXN0zs-94dewD2Fdfy/view?usp=sharing

Here is some additional information. As was stated in the Canadian sub-forum there is an "emergency order" application in Ontario. You need the birth cert that is CERTIFIED COPY OF BIRTH REGISTRATION that has the parents name. You don't want the "parental cert" that is a wallet sized one with parents names but no place of birth, doctors who attended birth etc. The parental one is for parents travelling with kids to prove custody in an easy to use/travel with format. Hope this clears up your question. CALL the registrar and tell them you need to do an emergency application otherwise you will be waiting 15+ weeks. Absolutely the long form is a required LIVE document needed at the interview or you'll get rejected.  I hope this info is helpful and best of luck.

In case you're doing the medical in Vancouver: Dr. Cheema requires you to schedule the interview first in order to book the medical.

Routine vaccinations such as MMR, Tetanus, Flu Shots, etc are offered free of charge in the province of Ontario. Patients can walk into any health care clinical or family physician office and receive these immunizations for free.  it would be better to go and get your vaccinations free of charge rather than pay any additional fees at these the medical exams. 

Also thank you for this!

Timeline
35 minutes ago, xvxcharlie said:

Gotcha. By the sounds of it, I think you're okay. Otherwise, your cancelled probably would've been cancelled haha. After sending P3, they just send a couple of emails that tell you that you can sign up and schedule an interview and how to book your medical appointment etc. Don't stress too much, you still got time. P4 will come to you soon, too! Plus, you can find P4 online if you want to see what it is. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.