Tara & Rohit

Need to get a learners permit before the driver's licence?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I searched high and low for the answer to this question with no luck. So I wanted to ask out right...

He had a license to drive in India and we currently live in Florida.

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/17/19 - AOS Packet Mailed

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

08/16/19 - Biometric Appt.

09/25/19 - Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/16/19 - Interview was Scheduled

12/05/19 - Interview Day

❤️ From Worlds Apart... to a Lifetime Together!! ❤️

5 minutes ago, Tara & Rohit said:

He had a license to drive in India and we currently live in Florida.

He should have no issues adjusting.  I've been to India a couple of times, the only rule there is there are no rules of the road.  I hear south Florida is the same way.  No rikshaws though. :rofl: 

Don't know about FL, but in NY and PA, you get a permit first.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Don't know about FL, but in NY and PA, you get a permit first.

Do you know how long you had to have the permit for?

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Thank you!

So it said "Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 60-day temporary paper permit without a photo and a receipt." So we would have to go back to the DMV for the licence after the 60 day period?

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Tara & Rohit said:

Thank you!

So it said "Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 60-day temporary paper permit without a photo and a receipt." So we would have to go back to the DMV for the licence after the 60 day period?

I would guess (and this is only a guess) that a photo will be taken that same day

as it says

Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or ID card will be issued within 60 days and mailed to the address on the driver record

so, DMV will check legal status before issuing the photo ID or driving permit

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I would guess (and this is only a guess) that a photo will be taken that same day

as it says

Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or ID card will be issued within 60 days and mailed to the address on the driver record

so, DMV will check legal status before issuing the photo ID or driving permit

Okay cool! That all make perfect sense. I guess I'm just curious if he will have to take the exam and the drivers test like we did as kids... I'm just trying to prepare him for whatever

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

Hello. I received a temporary driver's license that is valid for 1 year from Florida DMV after presenting my Philippine driver's license.

My background: I came in on a K1 visa on July 18th, went to Florida DMV in Pensacola on July 29th. I was given a paper on what the requirements are for me to obtain a license. Note that at this point, I do not have an SSN yet and I have not gotten married yet.

Document says

CUSTOMER PRESENTED:

We will be able to complete your transaction when the following requirements have been met:

Customer presented a Philippines Driver license therefore, the date class is waived.

In order to obtain your Florida Driver License, you will need to take the written test at one of our offices between 8:30 and 3:30.

Upon passing the written test, you then may take a driving test. We accept walk in road tests Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday first thing in the morning. You have to be lined up outside prior to our doors opening to be seen that day for a walk in road test at the Marcus Pointe office only.

You will need to return with:

1. Valid Passport and I-94

2. Fiance's proof of citizenship (birth certificate or passport)

3. Receipt for I-485 and marriage certificate

4. Philippine driver license

I took and passed the written exam on August 7th and  then returned early in the morning of August 8th for the driving test which I fortunately passed. They were ready to give me my driver's license right there and then but we cannot stay long because my then-fiance had to go to work and we had to get married in the afternoon. We returned on August 12th to get my license with one year validity on it.

Note that although the requirement listed I-485 and marriage certificate, I did not present either of it during the whole process. I only presented the marriage certificate on August 12th since we got married in the afternoon of August 8th.

Initially, they told me that I can take the tests and get my license right away but it will only valid until October which is when my K1 visa expires. Upon checking with the supervisor, they said that they can give me a valid one year license. 

My license is real ID compliant, has the word 'Temporary' on top and bears my maiden name. I will apply for a name change and longer validity license once my greencard arrives.

Hope this helps!

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Timeline
12 hours ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I took and passed the written exam on August 7th and  then returned early in the morning of August 8th for the driving test which I fortunately passed. They were ready to give me my driver's license right there and then but we cannot stay long because my then-fiance had to go to work and we had to get married in the afternoon. We returned on August 12th to get my license with one year validity on it.

This definitely helps! I was confused about whether or not the exams had to be done.

We're not worried about getting the licence before the green card, but knowing he'll have to do both the written and driving test is super helpful! 

Now I just need to find someone to teach him because I'm a terrible driver. Don't want him to learn bad habits  :rofl:

Edited by Tara & Rohit

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

7 hours ago, Tara & Rohit said:

Now I just need to find someone to teach him because I'm a terrible driver. Don't want him to learn bad habits  :rofl:

Goodluck with that :D

My husband was happy about not having to teach me how to drive. I actually had to unlearn some driving habits that I have because it's so much different in the Philippines. 

I used the handbook online to review for the written exam. One needs to answer 40 out of 50 questions to pass. 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

He will have to pass the written and driving test just like everyone else. Having Indian license doesn't mean anything here in US. His auto insurance will be high like new drivers and it will eventually come down after few years. I had to pay $250/pm. Best bet would be to take lessons from driving school. 

Timeline
On 9/20/2019 at 6:22 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

Goodluck with that :D

My husband was happy about not having to teach me how to drive. I actually had to unlearn some driving habits that I have because it's so much different in the Philippines. 

I used the handbook online to review for the written exam. One needs to answer 40 out of 50 questions to pass. 

Driving on the right side of the road verses left has been quite an experience :jest:

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 9/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

Hello. I received a temporary driver's license that is valid for 1 year from Florida DMV after presenting my Philippine driver's license.

My background: I came in on a K1 visa on July 18th, went to Florida DMV in Pensacola on July 29th. I was given a paper on what the requirements are for me to obtain a license. Note that at this point, I do not have an SSN yet and I have not gotten married yet.

Document says

Note that although the requirement listed I-485 and marriage certificate, I did not present either of it during the whole process. I only presented the marriage certificate on August 12th since we got married in the afternoon of August 8th.

Initially, they told me that I can take the tests and get my license right away but it will only valid until October which is when my K1 visa expires. Upon checking with the supervisor, they said that they can give me a valid one year license. 

My license is real ID compliant, has the word 'Temporary' on top and bears my maiden name. I will apply for a name change and longer validity license once my greencard arrives.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.