17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! My fiancé arrived in the United States on a K1 Visa on September 10, 2019. We got married on September 12, 2019. Is it worth it to apply for the I-765 and pay the fee or should we just wait on the greencard? What is the timeline on getting the work permit vs waiting for green card?

Can we apply for his social security card right away? I need to add him onto my health benefits, but they need a social security number.

Please advise.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Cristina092 said:

Hello! My fiancé arrived in the United States on a K1 Visa on September 10, 2019. We got married on September 12, 2019. Is it worth it to apply for the I-765 and pay the fee or should we just wait on the greencard? What is the timeline on getting the work permit vs waiting for green card?

Can we apply for his social security card right away? I need to add him onto my health benefits, but they need a social security number.

Please advise.

Not worth the fee considering it is only valid until the i94 expires and it takes longer than that to process 

You can visit SSA anytime 

EAD is fee waived when submitted with the i485 and takes about 5 to 6 months 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

20 minutes ago, Cristina092 said:

Please advise.

Sounds like maybe you didn't research much of this ahead of time......perhaps plan to do a bit of reading here on VJ so you can be better informed about the process.

40 minutes ago, Cristina092 said:

Please advise.

You can go get him a SSN now

Timeline
Just now, Londonergirl said:

I was told that I had to apply for SSN before the 90 days ended. If not I had to wait until I got my EAD or GC. 

Before 75 days actually 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Before 75 days actually 

Can you send me info on that? I was told that you can apply until your I94 expire (Which is after 90 days when you entered the country  right?)

Edited by Londonergirl

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Can you send me info on that? I was told that you can apply until your I94 expire (Which is after 90 days when you entered the country  right?)

SSA won't issue a card after your status expires,  it typically takes two weeks to get a card issued.   The math is simple 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

SSA won't issue a card after your status expires,  it typically takes two weeks to get a card issued.   The math is simple 

I never said that they will issue a SSN after status expire? 

I said that you can apply for SSN until your I94 expire, which is 90 days after you enter the country on the K1 visa

Where have I said that you can apply for a SSN after it expires? ''The math is simple'' 😂

Timeline
1 minute ago, Londonergirl said:

I never said that they will issue a SSN after status expire? 

I said that you can apply for SSN until your I94 expire, which is 90 days after you enter the country on the K1 visa

Where have I said that you can apply for a SSN after it expires? ''The math is simple'' 😂

But you missing the two weeks it takes them to issue.  You must apply by day 75.  75 plus 14 gets you just under the 90 days.  If you want to go after day 75 you will be disappointed 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

But you missing the two weeks it takes them to issue.  You must apply by day 75.  75 plus 14 gets you just under the 90 days.  If you want to go after day 75 you will be disappointed 

I can't find anywhere online where it says that you have to apply before day 75. I read that it is only recommended to do so. It is obviously the best to apply for it as soon as possible. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

I can't find anywhere online where it says that you have to apply before day 75. I read that it is only recommended to do so. It is obviously the best to apply for it as soon as possible. 

https://www.***removed***/usa-visas/kvisa/k1-fiance-visa-application-process.html

Not from SSA but says the same.  Read down the page 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Roger that.. apply for SSN upon entry with K-1.  SSN office is like 100 m from where I live.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

On 9/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, Cristina092 said:

Please advise.

If you try to call your employer and add him manually to your insurance that might work. I was able to do this no problems without a SSN for my wife. Just call your HR or benefits department and inquire, explain it to them. Most policies require you to add a new family member within 30 days so you have little time to mess around.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 9/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, Cristina092 said:

Please advise.

This AOS-related topic and many more are often discussed at the K1/K3 AOS-related forums. You should check out those forums for more information. :thumbs:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-k1-and-k3-family-based-visas/

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/115-working-amp-traveling-during-us-immigration/

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/156-social-security-numbers/

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.