Agn3ss

Question about filing for gc (merged)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
36 minutes ago, AgnesN said:

Hi! I’m wondering if I have to change my address from Sweden to where I live in USA, when I file for green card or if it doesn’t matter to uscis? 

Hi!

Could you please clarify your question? Also please fill out your timeline in your profile so we could know where in the process you are.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
48 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Hi!

Could you please clarify your question? Also please fill out your timeline in your profile so we could know where in the process you are.

I’m sorry I don’t know how to do that. I got my k1 visa application approved and I’m about to travel to USA to get married to my fiancé. But I don’t know if I should change my address when I get there. I’m wondering if when I apply for green card if I have to be written on a address in USA. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, AgnesN said:

I’m sorry I don’t know how to do that. I got my k1 visa application approved and I’m about to travel to USA to get married to my fiancé. But I don’t know if I should change my address when I get there. I’m wondering if when I apply for green card if I have to be written on a address in USA. 

Congratulations.

Yes. You have to write your new US address first as current address and list your previous addresses from Sweden. Every correspondence from USCIS will go to your new US address including NOA1 from the AOS, later EAD card then greencard etc.

If you move after you filed your petition you must notify USCIS of your new address within 30 days. Also your husband (sponsor) need to notify USCIS of the move since he signed the affidavit of support.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, AgnesN said:

Hi! I’m wondering if I have to change my address from Sweden to where I live in USA, when I file for green card or if it doesn’t matter to uscis? 

The USCIS wants to know that you are now living in the USA not Sweden 

YMMV

Timeline
5 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Congratulations.

Yes. You have to write your new US address first as current address and list your previous addresses from Sweden. Every correspondence from USCIS will go to your new US address including NOA1 from the AOS, later EAD card then greencard etc.

If you move after you filed your petition you must notify USCIS of your new address within 30 days. Also your husband (sponsor) need to notify USCIS of the move since he signed the affidavit of support.

I’m also wondering if they will look up that’s my actual address or if they just take my word for it?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, AgnesN said:

I’m also wondering if they will look up that’s my actual address or if they just take my word for it?

Why are you making this harder as it is?

Do not lie on immigration papers because you are going to get kicked out and banned forever.

At the AOS interview they most likely want to see yours and your husbands driver's license/state id with the same address on them as a proof of living together, or lease or a signed letter from your landlord if you are going to live with his parents/relatives.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Why are you making this harder as it is?

Do not lie on immigration papers because you are going to get kicked out and banned forever.

At the AOS interview they most likely want to see yours and your husbands driver's license/state id with the same address on them as a proof of living together, or lease or a signed letter from your landlord if you are going to live with his parents/relatives.

I’m not going to lie. The problem is Me and my fiancé is going to live at a persons place that might not want to tell her landlord that I live there because of apartment rules. That’s why I’m wondering. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Agn3ss said:

I’m not going to lie. The problem is Me and my fiancé is going to live at a persons place that might not want to tell her landlord that I live there because of apartment rules. That’s why I’m wondering. 

You need a US address to receive correspondence from the uscis 

YMMV

Timeline

I see. Unfortunately I can't help with that. Maybe somebody more experienced or somebody who have been in your situation can advise you....

Timeline

I’m going to USA on k1 to marry my fiancé and will after that apply for AOS.

me and my fiancé is going to stay at his mother’s apartment but there is a problem. She might not want to tell the landlord I moved there because they are only allowed to be 4 people living there but with me we will be 5 people. 

will this cause a problem when applying for AOS

Do uscis want proof like a statement from landlord that i live there? 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I’m going to USA on k1 to marry my fiancé and will after that apply for AOS.

me and my fiancé is going to stay at his mother’s apartment but there is a problem. She might not want to tell the landlord I moved there because they are only allowed to be 4 people living there but with me we will be 5 people. 

will this cause a problem when applying for AOS

Do uscis want proof like a statement from landlord that i live there? 

What USCIS will want to see in the ROC, and now AOS, due to the long protracted processing times, is evidence that you have a true and honest marriage, and not fraudulently get married to come to the US. The joint evidence that will be needed are called "marriage bonafides" (USCIS-speak) and consists of any and all documentation, such as joint bank accounts statements, joint credit credit card statements, joint utility bills, joint lease agreements, joint car loans, holiday gift cards sent to the two of you, jointly prepared wills, durable powers of attorney, and living wills. Notice that I didn't mention landlord letters? That is only one type of possible evidence. There are all manner of joint evidence, look in the AOS and ROC forums for more examples of some of the types of marital bonafides evidence. 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, Agn3ss said:

Additionally, you should also file a proper change of address (COA) with USPS. If you file COA with the sender (USCIS) and not inform the delivery service (USPS) of the COA, you have only done half of the process, and set yourself up with likely delivery issues later on. Get a PO Box if you are concerned about  mail delivery at your temporary quarters.

Change of Address Information

We strongly encourage you to update your address with USCIS to ensure you receive all correspondence and benefits from us in a timely manner and avoid possible delays related to your case.

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service will not change your address with USCIS. Please update your information with both USCIS and USPS.

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

7 hours ago, Agn3ss said:

Unless you want your green card to be mailed to Sweden, I'd say yes. 😉

2 hours ago, Agn3ss said:

Sounds dodgy, and could pose a problem in the (albeit unlikely) event that a home visit is conducted later on to confirm your marital relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.