Wuozopo

Sending money US to UK

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My niece is off to Uni at Exeter soon and my wife wants to send her a gift of cash.  Do you "20-somethings" on here have suggestions of an easy way to do that. They both have iPhones, but apparently Apple cash is only a US thing. We have Transferwise but didn't want to get too complicated for just 100-200 quid if there's something easier than getting all her bank details. 

Or if you were 18 years old, would you use an Amazon gift card or some other gift card? Ideas please for easy gifting US to UK. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

My niece is off to Uni at Exeter soon and my wife wants to send her a gift of cash.  Do you "20-somethings" on here have suggestions of an easy way to do that. They both have iPhones, but apparently Apple cash is only a US thing. We have Transferwise but didn't want to get too complicated for just 100-200 quid if there's something easier than getting all her bank details. 

Or if you were 18 years old, would you use an Amazon gift card or some other gift card? Ideas please for easy gifting US to UK. 

Have you tried world remit? 

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

PayPal 😀

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Transferwise is what I use. It's meant to be "8 times cheaper than a traditional bank" and they have comparisons on their website to how much it would cost using other services. 

Well I'm glad you think I'm twenty-something ... wish I was!

Transferwise for me. I used to use XE but that got complicated quick. I've made payments all over the place with it. Some small, some quite large and it's very reliable.

Timeline

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I know Transferwise is reliable and I've used it to move bigger sums from the U.K.  Was mostly curious if there was something new out there like Apple cash, Zelle, etc that worked internationally.  

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I know Transferwise is reliable and I've used it to move bigger sums from the U.K.  Was mostly curious if there was something new out there like Apple cash, Zelle, etc that worked internationally.  

Sadly. I don't think so. Cashapp doesnt exist in the UK.

Look at Monzo, dont know if theyve sorted the usa side out but they were doing so in June.

Amazon gift cards would most definitely be a good gift for an 18 year old (or a 34 year old, in case you decide you want to surprise me too 😆) - everyone I know orders frequently from Amazon and there’s loads of odds and sods you have to buy when you first move away to uni.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I also agree with TransferWise.  That is what my husband and I used often when he was still in the UK to transfer money back and forth.  The rates are by far better than anywhere else. 

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 9/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, Ashley Scott said:

I also agree with TransferWise.  That is what my husband and I used often when he was still in the UK to transfer money back and forth.  The rates are by far better than anywhere else. 

Anyone that's used transferwise can you please tell me the easiest way to send the money? I've looked at it and they are a few options like bank transfer, debit card etc. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Carl. said:

Anyone that's used transferwise can you please tell me the easiest way to send the money? I've looked at it and they are a few options like bank transfer, debit card etc. 

I've used bank transfer. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.