gt85

B1 denied

25 posts in this topic

hi! I need your help please 

I've been denied for a B1 visa 3 weeks ago

with ESTA program Im supposed to be still allowed to stay for a week in the US for the 2019

basically I applied for a B1 to spend more than a week due that my available time with ESTA program is about to expire

I would like to understand if I can go to the US and spend few days (to dont risk the overstay of 180 days allowed by ESTA program) ?

please advise

best regards

21 minutes ago, gt85 said:

I would like to understand if I can go to the US and spend few days (to dont risk the overstay of 180 days allowed by ESTA program) ?

First, you need to apply for a new ESTA because of #5 below; https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/frequently-asked-questions-about-visa-waiver-program-vwp-and-electronic-system-travel:

a new travel authorization via ESTA is required when: (1) the traveler is issued a new passport; (2) the traveler changes his or her name; (3) the traveler changes his or her gender; (4) the traveler’s country of citizenship changes; or (5) the circumstances underlying the traveler’s previous responses to any of the ESTA application questions requiring a “yes” or “no” response have changed.

The answer is now "yes" for "Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?" ESTA question.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You need to reapply for a new ESTA

image.thumb.png.4f3611cce561b95a49c498ad6fcf47f8.png

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

As a practical matter, how many ESTA visas get approved after a B1/2 denial? I’ve  heard that a denial for another visa means that ESTA won’t be granted. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

This is my reference:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1097/~/previously-denied-a-visa-or-immigration-benefit

Edited by Rose711
Added reference

2 hours ago, ElDiablo said:

You thought wrong.

OP what exactly do you mean by your availability with ESTA is about to expire? Where are you now? When were you last in the US and for how long?

I've applied for my ESTA 6 months ago

i alredy spent 85 days and 88 days in the US

I tried to apply for a B1 but it was denied

so now I'm wondering if I can go back to US for 5 days just with my ESTA 

I left US end of july

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, gt85 said:

I left US end of july

You are required to reapply for ESTA.........Do you plan to do that?

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

9 minutes ago, missileman said:

You are required to reapply for ESTA.........Do you plan to do that?

I've another appointment to a different consulate this week

if for any reason my application for the B1 visa will be denied again I probably have to apply for a new ESTA

otherwise I will wait until 2020 and apply for a new ESTA 

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Interesting. I guess 6 years between applications, becoming a UK citizen and developing other ties to the UK was enough. So if the reason a visa is denied is lack of ties, it looks like with time and building ties, a visa can be approved. 

Thanks for the information.

28 minutes ago, gt85 said:

I left US end of july

Why are you trying to spend so much time here?  They may think you're trying to live in the US as a tourist.

A denied visa does not make you ineligible for the VWP, but any existing ESTA needs to be updated and will almost certainly be denied in the near future. After some time, that may change.

A recently denied B-1 is likely to be denied again unless there is a change in circumstances.

There is no 180 day limit. Although spending too much time in the US will certainly raise suspicion of living there or performing unauthorized activities. Every entry is at the discretion of CBP.

And there are potential IRS (tax) and home-country benefits (i.e. healthcare coverage, public benefit programs, etc.) considerations if you spend more time in the US than your home country within the year.

Why were you spending so much time in the US previously? Was it also for business-related purposes (like a B-1)?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Why are you trying to spend so much time here?  They may think you're trying to live in the US as a tourist.

I agree. This is a lot of time to spend in the US, and I think showing up at the POE saying I am only going to stay the 5 days I have left on my ESTA is not going to wash with the CBP. Why would someone come all this way for 5 days unless for a business meeting or something. They are going to see last spent 85 days, then spend 88 days ( Both visits taking it to the max) and now only 5 days. I think you will got a do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars on the next attempt to enter, but I could be wrong.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.