sailing2019

Esta question and i-134 support.

19 posts in this topic

22yr old (female) German citizen Looking for advice for my travels next week to Los Angeles as i recently traveled in US on esta and had bad experience entering at LAX in March 2019. I will be traveling with boyfriend who is citizen and we plan to drive across from Canada after spending 45 days in Guatemala and then the 45 days for the  summer in Canada.

•  I visited USA on former esta 2x. Jan 2018 for 12 days and 10 days in Dec 2018.  No questions and walked right through customs with out any issues
  • I also came back on new Esta after divorce with name change in March 2019  and this time they questioned by at LAX for 3hrs before allowing me to enter. Do you think it was because of the name change, new passport  back to my original name, new esta or just standard procedure? They took my phone away and asked all kinds of questions about my friend I was visiting that is now my boyfriend. Very exhausting after 12hr flight from Germany.
  • Last time I entered I had a flight out for 1 month later in April 2019. But we were having so much fun traveling together that I ended up staying 86 days. We flew to Guatemala on 86th day and spent 45 days there before flying direct to Canada and spending 45 days there.
  •  

We are planning on staying in california for 3 weeks and have flight booked for Mexico at the end of September. 

1. Just wondering if they will integrate me each time I come to visit now.
  2. Do I qualify to re-enter after 90 days out of usa? 45 days in Guatemala & 45 days in Canada.
  3. How Long can I technically stay on this visit?
  4. I don't have much money in bank  now. Maybe 1k. Can my boyfriend fill out i-134 support form and can i present this if asked about funds for my travel in usa?

Thank you for your help and advise.

I-134 has nothing to do with utilizing the VWP and visiting the USA. It will not be considered or accepted. You are visiting and not immigrating. YOU must prove that you have enough funds to sustain yourself, and that you have strong ties to home. ESTA is just a pre-clearance background check. Every visit you make to the USA on the VWP comes with the standard 90 days (as in you must LEAVE before the 90 days are up), but can be limited if the officer wishes. You must always be aware of how much time you have left and leave promptly. It is a general rule that you should be spending a good chunk of time out of the USA before re-entry. Driving across a border does not 'reset' your clock. You cannot for instance spend 89 days in USA and then a few days in Canada before driving back in.

No one can say if you will be admitted. It's based on how much evidence you provide, how you answer questions, and how the officer feels about your case. You were questioned before but let through. Did they state why? You have a USC boyfriend and doesn't sound like you have a lot of ties to home.. so that would certainly flag suspicion. If marrying is something you're considering in the future with your boyfriend, consider a K1 visa.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What do you do?

When are you going home?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Agree the I-134 can not help you here.

Also you are spending a lot of time in US in and out quite a lot. And with a boyfriend in the US and no money and sound like no real ties to Germany since you can travel all the time it can be hard to see you don't have intentions on staying.

What is your job?

11 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Agree the I-134 can not help you here.

Also you are spending a lot of time in US in and out quite a lot. And with a boyfriend in the US and no money and sound like no real ties to Germany since you can travel all the time it can be hard to see you don't have intentions on staying.

What is your job? Nutrition coach and writing a book for book agency,.

Timeline

Certainly seems the possibility for an interesting conservation, or you might sail through.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I hope you’re not working remotely on those projects whilst in the US. Writing a book would be fine (unless you have been given an advance by the publisher) because until it’s published and sold to someone it’s nothing more than a hobby.  No different from keeping a diary or a blog of your travels. 

But if you are providing nutritional coaching via email or Skype or similar for payment whilst here, that’s a definite no.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

27 minutes ago, JFH said:

I hope you’re not working remotely on those projects whilst in the US. Writing a book would be fine (unless you have been given an advance by the publisher) because until it’s published and sold to someone it’s nothing more than a hobby.  No different from keeping a diary or a blog of your travels. 

But if you are providing nutritional coaching via email or Skype or similar for payment whilst here, that’s a definite no.

No nutrition coaching was what I did in person in Germany and the book writing is still in the initial phase and I have not been given advance from publisher. or an offer from a publisher. 

Timeline

No there is no set sum, how could there be?

17 minutes ago, sailing2019 said:

Is there a certain amount $ they require to sustain ones self while visiting and staying at my boyfriends house and eating healthy home cooked food?

No. Every admission is at the discretion of the officer. Millionaires and the unemployed are all subject to the same screening. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

OP: The officer doesn't care if you're eating the best or eating McDs all day long. They care about you having strong ties to home and leaving when you say you will. The fact you've been stopped before could mean a lot of things. There's a risk it could happen again or nothing may happen at all. So.. you need to consider what will happen if it does happen. VWP are very valuable privileges that people abuse, and once lost, can never get back. So consider how would you continue to see your USC boyfriend if you are prevented from entry? Every entry is up to the officer to decide.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 hour ago, sailing2019 said:

Is there a certain amount $ they require to sustain ones self while visiting and staying at my boyfriends house and eating healthy home cooked food?

If you're buying that at whole foods it will probably be more expensive than eating out at macdonalds all the time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.