Davide66

Reschedule naturalization interview due to pregnancy

59 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, US-UK said:

I said nothing negative, so why the attitude? Times have changed, that’s all. I am not a parent so had no idea the current medical landscape was so conservative.

But now that you have baited me to be snarky:  my mother was just a high risk and geriatric pregnancy with a C, but only flew a 2 leg trans con, so I guess you win. Congratulations.

I didn't say anything negative myself. I just stated what my situation is, and what the doctors have advised me to do, and I don't see why I should go against doctor's orders. 

4 minutes ago, Davide66 said:

Or I follow doctor's advice and fly back in April. Guess what I'm going to do?

I couldn’t care less what you decide. But do post back what happened to your naturalization. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Just now, milimelo said:

I couldn’t care less what you decide. But do post back what happened to your naturalization. 

I certainly will.

For now I wish for people to stop giving me wrong advice (either legal or medical) and hope that somebody who has been in my same situation, that is staying abroad for an extended period of time (more than 6 months but less than a year), either because of pregnancy or any other reason, while their naturalization application was pending to share their experience, whatever the outcome was, either positive or negative.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Davide66 said:

I certainly will.

For now I wish for people to stop giving me wrong advice (either legal or medical) and hope that somebody who has been in my same situation, that is staying abroad for an extended period of time (more than 6 months but less than a year), either because of pregnancy or any other reason, while their naturalization application was pending to share their experience, whatever the outcome was, either positive or negative.

Thank you.

We here at VJ are immigrants waiting in line, just like you. With so much going on in your life, I will highly suggest that you consult an immigration attorney.

There are 2 issues here -

1 - What will happen you at the port of entry? Will they give you a tough time?

2 - What will happen to your N-400 application? 

With the current political climate, no one can guarantee what an IO will do in both cases.

Almost all attorneys I know do Skype or video consultations, so spend a few $$$ and get your peace of mind.

Please do keep us posted and best of luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 8/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, Davide66 said:

Obviously your mother didn't have any complications during pregnancy, didn't have a C-section, and didn't put you on a 22-hours, 3-legs intercontinental flight.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, Davide66 said:

The pregnancy is affecting me both physically and emotionally. There is no way I can tackle an intercontinental flight in my conditions.

I thought that the residency requirement allowed for a 1 year stay abroad, not 6 months.

No comment.

Edited by dilip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, Davide66 said:

I certainly will.

Thank you.

Why? Someone else's outcome has nothing to do with yours. If someone did it successfully and your naturalization application is denied, you can't tell them "But you let someone else do it!"

Sorry if you came here looking for reassurance and found none - truth is your case is not clear cut and it doesn't look favorable, so anybody telling you it's going to be ok with or without personal experience is not helpful to your specific case. This is an immigration forum, not a pregnancy support forum. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but best be prepared for the worst now when you can still make different choices that can help you get a more positive outcome.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, Davide66 said:

Obviously your mother didn't have any complications during pregnancy, didn't have a C-section, and didn't put you on a 22-hours, 3-legs intercontinental flight.

Nothing of any of that has to do with the infant being able to fly safely.  That all has to do with you. Maybe you could have worded it differently.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, Davide66 said:

I certainly will.

Thank you.

No one gave you wrong advice.  They are giving you their educated guess which is all any of us can do because as we all know its a case by case basis depending on how the CBP officer feels at the time after reviewing what evidence you say you have.  We don't know the extent of your medical issues,  what your documentation reads, or what the border officers will decide.  Whatever happened with anyone else is fairly irrelevant.   You traveled out of the country pregnant, after filing for naturalization and took that risk.  Consequences are yours.  Best of Luck.

Today I called USCIS from overseas, and I was told that there would be no problem rescheduling my naturalization interview provided that I mail them a letter requesting the postponement supported by medical documentation from my doctor.

Tomorrow I will be mailing through DHL everything I need to send to USCIS.

Problem solved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Davide66 said:

Today I called USCIS from overseas, and I was told that there would be no problem rescheduling my naturalization interview provided that I mail them a letter requesting the postponement supported by medical documentation from my doctor.

Problem solved.

Are you going to ask to reschedule after April 2020?  Just curious

8 hours ago, LionessDeon said:

No one gave you wrong advice. 

No one gave me wrong advice? Did you read the part where someone was saying that an LPR needs a re-entry permit for a stay abroad of less than a year? Or the user who prescribed me some kind of magical medication which is gonna make me fly with no problem?

All I asked was how to reschedule my naturalization appointment (answer eventually provided by USCIS itself over the phone) and to hear a story from somebody in a similar situation as mine (which I think is relevant or we want to hear about it in any case. Isn't what this forum is all about after all? Otherwise why people would ask me to keep posting to hear how my story ends?)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Davide66 said:

Problem solved.

Wait... problem solved regarding rescheduling your naturalization interview.  What about the problem of potentially getting back into the US?  Like everyone has stated, it will be up to the specific individual as to letting you back in or not. EVERYTHING I have read states that it's best for one to get a re-entry permit if one is going to be out of the US for more than 6 months.  With today's political landscape, I would heed that advice.  As (removed) as it may sound, it may come down to the country you are coming from.  I.e. If you are coming from a latino or mid-eastern country, I'd make sure you have that re-entry permit or get back to the US before your 6 months are up.  If you are coming from a Western European country, probably less need to sweat it. I know, it sounds racist, but I 'm just throwing that out there because it really is going to come down to, "Does the border entry patrol person want to let you in or does he/she not want to let you in.  That's it... unless of course things become even more political over the next 6 months and then I would think you'll really be in a bad spot.  As for babies flying... 10 days after birth is what I have heard the airlines require.  As for "I've maintainted my US residence."  It's not for me to question, but... current registered US student and gone out of the US from August thru April?  Most will scratch their head on that one, unless you are doing some sort of study abroad.  It sounds like you just want to hear from someone who was in your shoes, as opposed to looking for people's advice.  You probably won't find it a) because like I said, almost everything one reads recommends "get a re-entry permit if you will be out of the US for more than 6 months, and b) the political landscape gets worse and worse daily, weekly, and monthly.  What has occurred to someone in the past certainly will be completely irrelevant today.  Good luck on getting back and good luck with the baby!  If it were me, I'd come back to the US before the 6 month mark, even if it's not in the best interest of my health. 

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.