12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

We have our interview next week and I don’t see any issues so I’m just curious about the following;

since we have been married less than two years would we get a two year green card or ten? I have read some K1’s have gotten a 10 year and their AOS approval was less than two years since the couple/s married? 

How long does she have to wait to take the naturalization citizen test after her green card issued?

I have read in order to file the N-400 for naturalization my wife needs to be living in the USA for three years 50% or more of the time? Is this correct? 

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Married under 2 year when you get GC approved will give you a 2 year GC. Those who by mistake have gotten a 10 year GC have a responsibility to get it corrected themselves.

She can apply to be a USC after 3 year of marriage AND 3 years of Gc holder (residents since on the GC) minus the 90 days before. OR 5 years as a GC holder.

Yes, they also have a requirements for days in the US when applying for the USC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

2 year GC

She can apply 90 days before the 3rd Anniversary of her GC

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 minutes ago, LarryHickman said:

I have read some K1’s have gotten a 10 year and their AOS approval was less than two years since the couple/s married? 

If they did, then it was an error and they still need to ROC in 2 years.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Yes, they also have a requirements for days in the US when applying for the USC.

Thanks, I wonder about the last statement, I heard but I’m not certain that exceptions are made if out of the country due to a family member sick or with US citizen spouse while stationed overseas say military?

Timeline
1 minute ago, LarryHickman said:

Thanks, I wonder about the last statement, I heard but I’m not certain that exceptions are made if out of the country due to a family member sick or with US citizen spouse while stationed overseas say military?

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

There are various exceptions and considerations. Might be better to describe your circumstances to see if they may fit any.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

There are various exceptions and considerations. Might be better to describe your circumstances to see if they may fit any.

It was just what I read about other couples that had these situations while I was trying to find the green card that I pray we get after next week, a two or ten year so I was curious about this and when my wife can apply for nationalization. Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, LarryHickman said:

It was just what I read about other couples that had these situations while I was trying to find the green card that I pray we get after next week, a two or ten year so I was curious about this and when my wife can apply for nationalization. Thanks 

When my wife got her 2 yr GC,  she was told at the interview that if she wants, she can apply for citizenship 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of her GC approval.  The IO specifically said "if you file even a day before the 90 days, they will just take  your money and say thank you, but you will have to reapply tomorrow.  LOL.. Seriously!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

When my wife got her 2 yr GC,  she was told at the interview that if she wants, she can apply for citizenship 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of her GC approval.  The IO specifically said "if you file even a day before the 90 days, they will just take  your money and say thank you, but you will have to reapply tomorrow.  LOL.. Seriously!

Very good information and I believe this completely! Yikes! 

Heres the thing, does the 3 year wait to apply for citizenship after you get the 10 year which is two years later then add another 3 years to apply for citizenship? Or 3 years after the 2 year green card? So a immigrant has to wait  5 years after approved K1 green card to apply?

Edited by LarryHickman

Timeline
5 minutes ago, LarryHickman said:

Heres the thing, does the 3 year wait to apply for citizenship after you get the 10 year which is two years later then add another 3 years to apply for citizenship? Or 3 years after the 2 year green card? So a immigrant has to wait  5 years after approved K1 green card to apply?

3 years since resident since date on the card. Doesn’t matter what card it is. 

20 hours ago, LarryHickman said:

Remember that you can't skip ROC if you get the 2 year green card. That means you pay the fee and everything. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.