barashka

Adjustment of Status Interview

13 posts in this topic

Hello to all,

My wife has her adjustment of status soon. She is adjusted from a K-1 visa. I believe I have covered everything I need according to their checklist they sent on the interview notice letter. The ONLY thing I am worried about are mortgage/rent documents. Basically, my wife and I live with my parents. We don't have any joint documents such as a mortgage or rent that show both of our names. We have a joint bank account and she is on my health insurance that I get from my job. That is about it. Will this be a big problem? We couldn't move into our own apartment or anything like that yet because she only received her Employment Authorization/Advance Parole combination card in May of 2019 so she wasn't even allowed to work most of the time she has been in this country. She also didn't speak English that well during her first 6-7 months here and I have been her translator this whole time (I am bilingual), so she wasn't ready to work anyways. I have our marriage certificate, I have all of our bank statements since the day she joined my bank account with both of our names, I have our joint health insurance documents, our H and R Block joint tax return (shows both of our names), some mail that is addressed to both of us, and photos of us together as our "proof" of marriage - that's it. No joint car/car insurance information, no joint rent/mortgage, or anything like that. Like I said, we have our own room (my bedroom) but we live in my parents' house. I help pay bills at home and contribute to groceries and other needs. What do you guys reckon? Please chime in, all comments and suggestions will be appreciated!

Regards!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, barashka said:

The ONLY thing I am worried about are mortgage/rent documents.

I think you have a good variety of evidence.  If you are really worried, just ask your parents to write up a simple rent agreement showing both names......and the arrangements you have.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

18 minutes ago, missileman said:

I think you have a good variety of evidence.  If you are really worried, just ask your parents to write up a simple rent agreement showing both names......and the arrangements you have.

I think my evidence should suffice, too! I never even thought about the rent agreement - should that be notarized? I wonder if they would send me a request for evidence for that (if for some reason my evidence didn't suffice). They can also see that she just received her Employment Authorization/Advance Parole combination card fairly recently so she couldn't really work or save money for a good portion of her time here. Hopefully, they will be understanding and realize that is why we couldn't really save money for own place thus far.

Edited by barashka

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, barashka said:

I think my evidence should suffice, too! I never even thought about the rent agreement - should that be notarized? I wonder if they would send me a request for evidence for that (if for some reason my evidence didn't suffice). They can also see that she just received her Employment Authorization/Advance Parole combination card fairly recently so she couldn't really work or save money for a good portion of her time here. Hopefully, they will be understanding and realize that is why we couldn't really save money for own place thus far.

Notarization does nothing 

YMMV

We are in the same boat. We live in Manhattan so moving out to our own place is out of the question and it works living with his mum, we will only have joint health insurance and joint savings account plus photos and my name being on the family phone plan. Let us know how it goes if you can 

As stated previously, your evidence sounds like enough. Some couples have been approved with less. 

They have a holistic approach, and take in account EVERYTHING, including your previous petition and evidence, the attitude and interaction during interview and how you answer the questions. 

1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

As stated previously, your evidence sounds like enough. Some couples have been approved with less. 

They have a holistic approach, and take in account EVERYTHING, including your previous petition and evidence, the attitude and interaction during interview and how you answer the questions. 

Yes, you are absolutely right. Would you bother bringing a rental agreement (as mentioned earlier)? Or do you think I should be okay with my compiled evidence?

Edited by barashka

10 minutes ago, barashka said:

Yes, you are absolutely right. Would you bother bringing a rental agreement (as mentioned earlier)? Or do you think I should be okay with my compiled evidence?

If you have no other document as proof of you both living at the same location -such as mail, brochures, memberships, etc.-, yes, get some sort of rental document from your parents. 

I'll share with you what we used as evidence: joint documents on health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, bank account, credit card, tax return, a shared membership and two pages with 4 b/w pictures each -captioned with date and location-. That was it. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

11 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you have no other document as proof of you both living at the same location -such as mail, brochures, memberships, etc.-, yes, get some sort of rental document from your parents. 

I'll share with you what we used as evidence: joint documents on health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, bank account, credit card, tax return, a shared membership and two pages with 4 b/w pictures each -captioned with date and location-. That was it. 

Wow, that is very similar to what I plan on using. I plan on using: joint health insurance, joint bank account, joint tax return, photos of us together and some documents that are addressed to the both of us that show our names and our address. I do have documents that show both of our names at the same address but we live with my parents so we don't have mortgage/rent documents. I should still get the rental document from my parents, right?

Edited by barashka

1 minute ago, barashka said:

Wow, that is very similar to what I plan on using. I plan on using: joint health insurance, joint bank account, joint tax return, photos of us together, and some documents that are addressed to the both of us that show our names and our address. I do have documents that show both of our names at the same address but we live with my parents so we don't have mortgage/rent documents. I should still get the rental document from my parents, right?

If it makes you feel "safer" and your parents don't mind, go for it. 

The interview will be easier and even pleasant if you feel 100% calm and confident.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
8 minutes ago, barashka said:

Wow, that is very similar to what I plan on using. I plan on using: joint health insurance, joint bank account, joint tax return, photos of us together and some documents that are addressed to the both of us that show our names and our address. I do have documents that show both of our names at the same address but we live with my parents so we don't have mortgage/rent documents. I should still get the rental document from my parents, right?

Unless you two are staying there as tenants, no point of getting the rental documents. If you are staying there as a family, get affidavits from your parents mentioning that both of you are staying there as a family.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

On 7/29/2019 at 2:43 PM, Nicola and Jordan said:

We are in the same boat. We live in Manhattan so moving out to our own place is out of the question and it works living with his mum, we will only have joint health insurance and joint savings account plus photos and my name being on the family phone plan. Let us know how it goes if you can 

My wife passed her interview! I took exactly the evidence I mentioned in my first post above and it sufficed. Good luck to you guys.

4 hours ago, barashka said:

My wife passed her interview! I took exactly the evidence I mentioned in my first post above and it sufficed. Good luck to you guys.

Congratulations! That’s great news and thank you for the update - very reassuring! Good luck with the rest of your journey! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.