Del A.

Does EVA Air include travel tax in ticket price?

36 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Zach2015 said:

That is so weird. Because when my fiancé left a week ago, she did not have to pay the travel tax, personally. All the taxes were paid for in the Delta ticket I purchased for her.

How do they know to charge travel tax?

ChickBoy

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Lola Lolo said:

Just to add @Hank, your right it’s about terminal fee the pay. But me&husband didn’t fee either the terminal fee when we’re flying back to TX, exiting from Davao International Airport. 

So just maybe Davao is having the terminal collected with the airfare purchase the same as NAIA ?   It would be nice if they all handled the terminal fee that way.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 hours ago, Zach2015 said:

I have no idea, how they knew what taxes and surcharges to add. They just did.

I can't figure out how they decide to charge travel tax, I can understand the terminal fee but travel tax the airlines wouldn't have enough information to charge it and when not to charge it.

ChickBoy

12 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

How do they know to charge travel tax?

1 hour ago, Falcon Cara said:

I can't figure out how they decide to charge travel tax, I can understand the terminal fee but travel tax the airlines wouldn't have enough information to charge it and when not to charge it.

It seems to be looking only for your origin when booking the ticket, i.e. if the origin is from the Philippines they add it as a blanket charge if booking directly, but they don't book it on tickets originating from outside the Philippines.  

They also didn't charge it on one way tickets from the Philippines if booked via an OTA and not directly, which was important when it only applied to one ticket and not the other.

Edited by suss6052

8 hours ago, suss6052 said:

It seems to be looking only for your origin when booking the ticket, i.e. if the origin is from the Philippines they add it as a blanket charge if booking directly, but they don't book it on tickets originating from outside the Philippines.  

They also didn't charge it on one way tickets from the Philippines if booked via an OTA and not directly, which was important when it only applied to one ticket and not the other.

When I flew out of Terminal 1 a few months ago, When I was at my gate waiting to leave the Philippines I saw a small kiosk booth that said Travel Tax refund with a person sitting there.  I wonder if they are just ripping people off by putting a blanket charge for Travel tax.  

ChickBoy

14 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

When I flew out of Terminal 1 a few months ago, When I was at my gate waiting to leave the Philippines I saw a small kiosk booth that said Travel Tax refund with a person sitting there.  I wonder if they are just ripping people off by putting a blanket charge for Travel tax.  

It seems that way in that even if I'm logged into my delta skymiles account and look at booking a one way or RT from say Cebu to Detroit it will apply the Philippine travel tax to the ticket even if I'm based in the USA and doesn't seem to make it obvious that it is not required for non filipinos.  Where as the round trip booked from the USA doesn't list this as a charge.

Timeline
8 hours ago, suss6052 said:

It seems that way in that even if I'm logged into my delta skymiles account and look at booking a one way or RT from say Cebu to Detroit it will apply the Philippine travel tax to the ticket even if I'm based in the USA and doesn't seem to make it obvious that it is not required for non filipinos.  Where as the round trip booked from the USA doesn't list this as a charge.

Expats also have to pay the travel tax if they have been in the Philippines for an extended time.   I believe it is one year or more.

Who pays the Full Travel Tax?

1. Citizens of the Philippines
  2. Taxable Foreign Passport Holders (Table 1)
  3. Non-immigrant foreign passport holders who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year (Table 2)   <<<<

I see the wording on the TIEZA website has been updated also.

"The travel tax is a levy imposed by the Philippine government on individuals who are leaving the country irrespective of the place where the air ticket is issued and the form or place of payment, as provided for by Presidential Decree (PD) 1183, as amended."

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

11 hours ago, suss6052 said:

So it looks like the scam is on

ChickBoy

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Expats also have to pay the travel tax if they have been in the Philippines for an extended time.   I believe it is one year or more.

Who pays the Full Travel Tax?

1. Citizens of the Philippines
  2. Taxable Foreign Passport Holders (Table 1)
  3. Non-immigrant foreign passport holders who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year (Table 2)   <<<<

I see the wording on the TIEZA website has been updated also.

"The travel tax is a levy imposed by the Philippine government on individuals who are leaving the country irrespective of the place where the air ticket is issued and the form or place of payment, as provided for by Presidential Decree (PD) 1183, as amended."

Only certain foreigners would end up owing the travel tax and they should know who they are.

However it should not be a requirement for all tickets booked departing from the Philippines on Delta to be paid as they didn't even check or ask if the person for whom the ticket is for is required to pay.

That's where I have a problem with it being applied that way.

Sure it's good for the Filipino/Filipina fiancee/spouse if the petitioner is not going to come with them and just booked them a ticket to the USA directly with Delta and it's already included.

However if said petitioner was going to come to get them and didn't book a round trip ticket originating in the USA because they were very particular about being on the same PNR to ensure seats together plus irregular operations protections together and booked it directly from the airline they would be hit up for the tax twice when it doesn't apply to the foreigner and if they don't know about it they might not ask about the travel tax refund. Good for the Philippines but bad for the person.

1 minute ago, Falcon Cara said:

So it looks like the scam is on

Given the heavy handed assessment of the travel tax as a shotgun / scatter shot charge on all tickets booked directly via the airline at least in the case of Delta from the Philippines it sounds like it. If the foreigner books a round trip ticket from outside the Philippines it doesn't get charged, or if they book via a travel agent/ online travel agency however. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, suss6052 said:

Only certain foreigners would end up owing the travel tax and they should know who they are.

However it should not be a requirement for all tickets booked departing from the Philippines on Delta to be paid as they didn't even check or ask if the person for whom the ticket is for is required to pay.

That's where I have a problem with it being applied that way.

Sure it's good for the Filipino/Filipina fiancee/spouse if the petitioner is not going to come with them and just booked them a ticket to the USA directly with Delta and it's already included.

However if said petitioner was going to come to get them and didn't book a round trip ticket originating in the USA because they were very particular about being on the same PNR to ensure seats together plus irregular operations protections together and booked it directly from the airline they would be hit up for the tax twice when it doesn't apply to the foreigner and if they don't know about it they might not ask about the travel tax refund. Good for the Philippines but bad for the person.

Given the heavy handed assessment of the travel tax as a shotgun / scatter shot charge on all tickets booked directly via the airline at least in the case of Delta from the Philippines it sounds like it. If the foreigner books a round trip ticket from outside the Philippines it doesn't get charged, or if they book via a travel agent/ online travel agency however. 

All expat/foreigners who stay in the Philippines for a year or more are required to pay the travel tax.   

I do agree that Delta is screwing up if they are charging travel tax for all that purchase a one way ticket from the Philippines.

I also read that Filipinos only need to pay the travel tax once a year, thus if they travel regularly they should keep their receipt handy.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

All expat/foreigners who stay in the Philippines for a year or more are required to pay the travel tax.   

I do agree that Delta is screwing up if they are charging travel tax for all that purchase a one way ticket from the Philippines.

I also read that Filipinos only need to pay the travel tax once a year, thus if they travel regularly they should keep their receipt handy.

Again not every foreigner or ex-pat will have stayed in the Philippines for more than 1 year, thus are not automatically subject to the travel tax hence my comment before about only certain foreigners are subject to the travel tax until they change the law and try to enforce it on all persons leaving the country, not just Filipinos and foreigners/ex-pats living in the Philippines for 1 year or longer. How many foreigners or ex-pats are living in the Philippines for over 1 year and leaving the country compared to other foreign tourists? 

I.e. those either just vacationing for less than one year or more realistically within the 30-59 days of the visitor visa on arrival plus one extension or coming to pick up their fiancee/spouse it wouldn't apply to them, only to their emigrating fiancee/spouse. 

Having paid the travel tax online/ through the byad center before going to the airport the check in counter agent for Korean Air (the airline operating the first flight to Seoul on a Delta based itinerary) was not familiar with this claiming it was their first time to see this, and still sent my wife to get the receipt validated at the travel tax counter anyway for my wife. I don't know how they would have reacted if it was paid with the ticket and included as a line item or if they were also familiar with this.  

Timeline

.. thus my making a point of stating "for one year or more" , the rest is a given.

There are multiple options for paying the travel tax be it online or at special locations, the airlines best get up to speed.   

And I am sure the airlines are charging it on all originating flights because of a notice they got from the Philippine gov't , not knowing there are exceptions.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

13 hours ago, suss6052 said:

I just checked my Delta Account as well. It appears as if they are putting the Travel Tax on my ticket as well if I go from PI to USA.   Booking from USA to PI then no travel tax.

ChickBoy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.