MINHatWORK

Case Outside of Normal Processing Time

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

Today I sent my 2nd inquiry regarding AOS for my wife. Her case was received in September of 2018. NOA received, Biometrics completed in October of 2018. Since then we have been waiting for interview notification, or whatever the next step is. USCIS website constantly shows that they are scheduling an interview. We were supposed to receive a response from the first inquiry on 7/11/19. That date came and went without any notification.

Has anyone experienced anything similar regarding late processing times? What steps did you pursue? I am grateful for any direction from the community. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, MINHatWORK said:

Hi all,

Today I sent my 2nd inquiry regarding AOS for my wife. Her case was received in September of 2018. NOA received, Biometrics completed in October of 2018. Since then we have been waiting for interview notification, or whatever the next step is. USCIS website constantly shows that they are scheduling an interview. We were supposed to receive a response from the first inquiry on 7/11/19. That date came and went without any notification.

Has anyone experienced anything similar regarding late processing times? What steps did you pursue? I am grateful for any direction from the community. Thank you.

What are others experiencing from your local field office?  Some field offices are 18+ months to interview 

YMMV

3 hours ago, MINHatWORK said:

Hi all,

What's your local field office? 

How do you know you are outside of normal processing times for your LFO?

Timeline
9 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What's your local field office? 

How do you know you are outside of normal processing times for your LFO?

I'm in California, the local field office should be the one in Laguna Beach or Santa Ana, but I'll have to look over paperwork to confirm. USCIS website posts normal processing time as 120 days. Their website has an option to send inquiries if outside of normal processing time period. That's what I'm using but they did not respond to my 1st inquiry. I checked on the status of my 1st inquiry yesterday and it stated that it had not even been "assigned for processing".

As I mentioned biometrics was concluded in October of 2018. That was 10 months ago. Is this not outside of the norm? But you brought up a good point. Is there a way to research processing times of LFO? I'll do that next. Earlier poster mentioned 18 months for some field offices? Ouch.

In the meantime I've spoken with rep from SS office and she informed me that a proof of legal U.S. residency is needed to apply for SS card. Thus a catch 22 and my wife cannot work legally. 

Edited by MINHatWORK
Adding Question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MINHatWORK said:

As I mentioned biometrics was concluded in October of 2018. That was 10 months ago. Is this not outside of the norm? But you brought up a good point. Is there a way to research processing times of LFO? I'll do that next. Earlier poster mentioned 18 months for some field offices? Ouch.

To find the field office that normally covers your area, enter your zip code at https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices (it's not always obvious which field office covers a zip code, so it's better to do this than just go by state and guess which field office)

Then you can go to https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ and select I-485 and that field office to get the official processing time range (look for the 'family-based AOS' number).

You can also check VJ average processing times at your field office here: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/aosstats.php?cfl=

However, USCIS recently announced a policy of moving some cases from slower field offices to other nearby offices. If your field office is LA or LA County (which is the case for the first zip code that showed up on the post office's site for Long Beach), that might affect you.

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Of course there is. 

You will need to be absolutely certain of your LFO though.

Kindly input your zipcode here and tell us what it says.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Then we can show you how to look up your estimated processing times of your LFO on the USCIS processing times website.

*There are no "normal" processing times. It ranges from a few months to over 30 months and depends on the specific processing times of YOUR LFO.

Unless you were on the link for your local field office and I485 AND you were outside of normal processing times according to your PD and the date that your LFO is currently working on, there is no way you could place an enquiry.

If you follow along and tell us your LFO we can show you how to look it up properly without all the guessing you've been doing.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

In the meantime I've spoken with rep from SS office and she informed me that a proof of legal U.S. residency is needed to apply for SS card. Thus a catch 22 and my wife cannot work legally. 

Not sure what you mean by this either?

Your wife cannot work without an EAD or GC even if she has an SSN. 

As a K1 she would have applied for an SSN upon arrival or on the I765 and would have received that one when the EAD was approved.

Did you not apply for the SSN right away before marriage and in the maiden name? Or if not then did you not apply for the SSN on the I765 form?

Of course your wife cant work. She cannot work until she has either an EAD or a GC. That's how it works....

4 hours ago, MINHatWORK said:

n the meantime I've spoken with rep from SS office and she informed me that a proof of legal U.S. residency is needed to apply for SS card. Thus a catch 22 and my wife cannot work legally. 

Don't confuse an SSN with work authorization. An SSN is for payroll purposes, and sometimes used as an identifier for other services. Work authorization is an immigration benefit granted by DHS.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
On 7/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, DaveAndAnastasia said:

To find the field office that normally covers your area, enter your zip code at https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices (it's not always obvious which field office covers a zip code, so it's better to do this than just go by state and guess which field office)

Then you can go to https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ and select I-485 and that field office to get the official processing time range (look for the 'family-based AOS' number).

You can also check VJ average processing times at your field office here: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/aosstats.php?cfl=

However, USCIS recently announced a policy of moving some cases from slower field offices to other nearby offices. If your field office is LA or LA County (which is the case for the first zip code that showed up on the post office's site for Long Beach), that might affect you.

Thank you Dave (and everyone else). Link #1 gives me the Santa Ana office. I've enter that info along with i-485 per link #2. Results in 13-24 months. Link #3 displays very helpful data. However if my case has been moved to other field offices, well then I have no way of knowing that and these time estimates become guesses anyway?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, MINHatWORK said:

Thank you Dave (and everyone else). Link #1 gives me the Santa Ana office. I've enter that info along with i-485 per link #2. Results in 13-24 months. Link #3 displays very helpful data. However if my case has been moved to other field offices, well then I have no way of knowing that and these time estimates become guesses anyway?

You will be notified of the move so no need to guess

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.