usmsbow

K1 visa- in AP since April (Jakarta Embassy)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Posting this on behalf of my wife's friend, who is in the current situation (you can just check my timeline to see it most definitely is not me :) ). She'd like to solicit feedback from the VJ community. My own 2 cents was "Just gotta wait" and I suspect that's what the general consensus is here, but can't hurt to double check. 

So here is the situation:

1. Petitioner is US male, beneficiary is Indonesian female. Age gap is under 10 years. Neither one is Muslim (just to make it clear it is not a Muslim marrying a Non-muslim situation). 

2. They met in person 2-3 times (I don't know the specific #). They met around a year prior to the I-129f submission, and at least once before the interview. 

3. Prior to the I-129f application, she tried for a B1/B2 visa, got denied due to not having sufficient ties to Indonesia. 

4. Her fiance reached out to his state's Senator to see if they could do anything about the B1/B2 tourist visa. Surprise surprise, no luck. 

5. K1 interview at the Jakarta Embassy was 3 months ago, in mid-April.

6. At the interview, she showed pictures of their engagement party (yes, I know, bad move). 

6. They kept her passport following the interview. 

7. A few days later, they contacted her and said if she needed her passport to travel somewhere, she should let them know. (bad sign IMO)

8. Since then, she's e-mailed them once or twice, and their reply was "we'll let you know when a decision has been made."

So she's been in AP since then, and is naturally a bit frustrated. Her fiance wants her to be more assertive with the Embassy, but she thinks that would be counterproductive. As I said, due to what I've read here on VJ, I think all she can do is wait, but as I said, I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone had any other advice. Thanks!

Edited by usmsbow
corrected spelling error

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 7/23/2019 at 1:18 AM, usmsbow said:

Posting this on behalf of my wife's friend, who is in the current situation (you can just check my timeline to see it most definitely is not me :) ). She'd like to solicit feedback from the VJ community. My own 2 cents was "Just gotta wait" and I suspect that's what the general consensus is here, but can't hurt to double check. 

1. Petitioner is US male, beneficiary is Indonesian female. Age gap is under 10 years. Neither one is Muslim (just to make it clear it is not a Muslim marrying a Non-muslim situation). 

2. They met in person 2-3 times (I don't know the specific #). They met around a year prior to the I-129f submission, and at least once before the interview. 

3. Prior to the I-129f application, she tried for a B1/B2 visa, got denied due to not having sufficient ties to Indonesia. 

4. Her fiance reached out to his state's Senator to see if they could do anything about the B1/B2 tourist visa. Surprise surprise, no luck. 

6. At the interview, she showed pictures of their engagement party (yes, I know, bad move). 

7. A few days later, they contacted her and said if she needed her passport to travel somewhere, she should let them know. (bad sign IMO)

8. Since then, she's e-mailed them once or twice, and their reply was "we'll let you know when a decision has been made."

So she's been in AP since then, and is naturally a bit frustrated. Her fiance wants her to be more assertive with the Embassy, but she thinks that would be counterproductive. As I said, due to what I've read here on VJ, I think all she can do is wait, but as I said, I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone had any other advice. Thanks!

Hi! may I know her updates now? and is showing our engagement party pictures are bad move? why is that? thank you

1 minute ago, Adhietia Ramadina said:

and is showing our engagement party pictures are bad move?

If it looks like you are married (dress, ring, etc) then you don't want to show the pictures.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
On 7/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, usmsbow said:

1. I was also denied of a B2 visa, due to insufficient ties, shortly before filing for a k-1. 

2. I also submitted photos of our engagement party, with an engagement ring. 

They kept my passport. I had to be patient throughout the AP. After 3 weeks I was issued. 

Btw, my fiancée and I visited the embassy again after the interview, trying to see why the AP is taking so long. Maybe it helped.

Edited by Gomast

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 7/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, usmsbow said:

The next time your "wife's friend's neighbor-in-law friend" whatever (?) wants feedback from the VJ community, suggest that she join VJ and post her own question. This charade stuff grows old for other "sister's wife's friend neighbor-in-law"..... VJ members who have a tough time trying to figure out who we are talking to.... :secret:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

The next time your "wife's friend's neighbor-in-law friend" whatever (?) wants feedback from the VJ community, suggest that she join VJ and post her own question. This charade stuff grows old for other "sister's wife's friend neighbor-in-law"..... VJ members who have a tough time trying to figure out who we are talking to.... :secret:

Trust me, my wife and I have repeatedly told her and her fiance to do so. They just don't want to (I don't know why). My timeline and post history makes it pretty clear this isn't me at all.. 

10 hours ago, Adhietia Ramadina said:

Hi! may I know her updates now? and is showing our engagement party pictures are bad move? why is that? thank you

She's still waiting. My wife showed engagement party pictures at her interview for a K-1, and didn't have any problems but there was also a sign clearly in the background that said in English "Engagement Party". Also, when my wife and I saw her friend's engagement party pictures, we both agreed it looked like a wedding. If my wife, a native Indonesian, thought it was a wedding, I can only imagine what the CO in Jakarta thought. That being said, her friend was initially approved by the CO, so who knows... 

Anyway, yes, I would not show engagement party pictures. There is no benefit to do so, and could create a problem for you. 

9 hours ago, Gomast said:

1. I was also denied of a B2 visa, due to insufficient ties, shortly before filing for a k-1. 

2. I also submitted photos of our engagement party, with an engagement ring. 

They kept my passport. I had to be patient throughout the AP. After 3 weeks I was issued. 

Btw, my fiancée and I visited the embassy again after the interview, trying to see why the AP is taking so long. Maybe it helped.

Thanks. How were you able to get into the embassy again? Via your finacee I assume? And who did you two talk to on your 2nd visit?

Timeline
9 hours ago, shawn1990 said:

Does their AP status says Nonimmigrant visa or the immigrant visa?

I don't know. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
12 hours ago, usmsbow said:

Trust me, my wife and I have repeatedly told her and her fiance to do so. They just don't want to (I don't know why). My timeline and post history makes it pretty clear this isn't me at all.. 

She's still waiting. My wife showed engagement party pictures at her interview for a K-1, and didn't have any problems but there was also a sign clearly in the background that said in English "Engagement Party". Also, when my wife and I saw her friend's engagement party pictures, we both agreed it looked like a wedding. If my wife, a native Indonesian, thought it was a wedding, I can only imagine what the CO in Jakarta thought. That being said, her friend was initially approved by the CO, so who knows... 

Anyway, yes, I would not show engagement party pictures. There is no benefit to do so, and could create a problem for you. 

Thanks. How were you able to get into the embassy again? Via your finacee I assume? And who did you two talk to on your 2nd visit?

A day day after my interview, my fiancée came to visit me in my country and we went again to the embassy. I was surprised they let her in. She didn’t speak with my interviewer, but rather with another CO who checked the status. After she left, we noticed that the update date on CEAC changed. The status still remained on AP. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 7/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, usmsbow said:

Ok so we also went through Jakarta.

- We tried visit visas twice.  Denied.  No stunner, added those denials to the visa application, and it didnt affect the IV case

- Getting the US senate involved in a visit denial probably annoyed them but they have to follow the rules and she might not have any ties

- I advised Nita to leave the embassy alone but I was very assertive from the time the folder hit the IV desk.  Emails, status updates, etc.  They have to talk to us.  They don’t feel like they have to talk to the immigrant.

SO:  Either she gave them an inconsistent story at her NIV interview (or) she is “too married for K1” are possible reasons for the delay.  You’ve already ruled out “screaming ACEH extremist” so that’s not it.

My advice - the USC needs to head back to his senator’s office, sign a privacy notice, get a caseworker assigned, and email the embassy with himself, caseworker, IV, and beneficiary on the email for a formal status check.  Not her job to get this immigrant petition processed through.  It’s his.

Wish em luck

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.