risky_fox

How to check if single-entry B1/B2 visa is still valid for entry?

14 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello everyone,

the situation is following - at the moment of entry to USA there were two B1/B2 visa stamps in the passport - one older for multiple entries (expired few days later after entry), and another newer one single-entry (expires in a few months). CBP officer didn't put any stamps into the passport, i94 system obviously doesn't show which visa was used for entry; now the question - is it possible that single-entry visa is still valid? Or was it used because it was the last-issued, no matter that old multiple-entry visa wasn't expired at the entry date?

Is there any way to check somewhere if visa is still valid or submit some kind of request to officials (CBP, USCIS, who knows what?! )?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Normally the old lone is cancelled when the new one is issued.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Unusual to be issued a single entry when one has previously had a multiple. Was there a special circumstance?

anyway, if you want to go back suggest you apply for a new visa. Agree with boiler that the old visa is usually canceled when a new one is issued - even if it doesn’t have a cancelled stamp on it, it is probably canceled in the system.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Agreed with others, you can have two concurrent valid visas of different type like F1 and B1/B2 but not of the same type. Your old one is likely cancelled when they issued the new one which means you used it upon US entry.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks a lot everyone, I just wanted to know if there was any way to check "in the system" which visa is cancelled for sure, which is valid. But seems like there is no way and it's safer now just to get a new visa =/

Getting a single entry was just a bad timing; now retrospectively there was no really a need to reapply at that time, but well - it is what it is.

• 5 months later...
Timeline

The update: my mom applied on a new B1/B2 visa without interview. I checked today, the status says Administrative Processing.

Did anyone have experience with similar situation? Did you end up going for an interview and getting "Clearance received" on a visa stamp?

1 hour ago, risky_fox said:

The update: my mom applied on a new B1/B2 visa without interview. I checked today, the status says Administrative Processing.

Did anyone have experience with similar situation? Did you end up going for an interview and getting "Clearance received" on a visa stamp?

How long ago did she apply? It always says administrative processing until it’s issued, but sometimes it’s just normal processes (so if it’s only say a few days I wouldn’t worry), but sometimes it’s more background checks etc and that can take some time, weeks or months in some cases.

by the way, I’ve never heard of “clearance received” on a visa stamp, did you see this somewhere else?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

How long ago did she apply? It always says administrative processing until it’s issued, but sometimes it’s just normal processes (so if it’s only say a few days I wouldn’t worry), but sometimes it’s more background checks etc and that can take some time, weeks or months in some cases.

by the way, I’ve never heard of “clearance received” on a visa stamp, did you see this somewhere else?

Oh thank you! She just applied a couple of days ago.

I worried because I had horrible experience myself being on F1 visa (different story from tourist, I know) - lengthy Adm. Proc. every time I'd apply for visa back home, and "clearance received" stamp after first adm. processing in my visa which wouldn't allow me to apply without interview at all. 

28 minutes ago, risky_fox said:

Just as an update, visa issued in 2 days, no interview, all smooth. Thanks for moral support and advice!

Multiple Entries?

Just now, risky_fox said:

Not sure yet, passport will be in hands within a week or so.

Hopefully it will be. 

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.