25 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 7/4/2019 at 10:53 PM, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

This is a very popular topic. Here is a recent similarly-themed thread that may be of use to you: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/704952-documentation-establishing-eligibility-for-lawful-permanent-resident-status/ooo

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you for some reason I didn’t get notifications on my own post.

Timeline
9 hours ago, mc962 said:

Life insurance is also another potential one, if you have it. You can designate your spouse as the beneficiary of that policy.

Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to print those... because we are only insured through company and I couldn’t figure out.

it worked well though they didn’t ask much at the interview: driver licenses, financial mingling and pictures were all they took in the end.

not even updated I-864, even though we did move and job changes happened and they knew it 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Naes said:

Thank you for confirmation!

@Xunmd check this out :D

Thank you for your help! 😁

We actually just had our interview earlier today and we just went with whatever we have right now. The officer only asked for my husband 2018 tax return, and then she just asked if there is anything we would like to add to the application and I just gave our utility bills. Then she just looked at our wedding and recent pictures and asked us about our love story like how we met, etc. and verifying some information on the I-485 form. We got approved right away. 😁

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, radharose said:

I was able to add my husband as an authorized user on my credit card before he got his SSN.

Chase Bank also told us that they don't require an SSN for foreigners to open an account.

I added my fiancee as an authorized user to my Citi card years ago.  No issue whatsoever.  Trying to get her added to my Citi bank accounts contributed to the demise of my relationship with Citi..........well, along with nothing but problems on the credit card.   

Opened a Chase card two years ago.......absolutely amazing experience.  Its the Sapphire Reserve, but it's been so well worth it.  Never thought to ask them about opening an account for her without a SSN.  Will give that a shot, and thanks for the heads up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, Xunmd said:

Thank you for your help! 😁

We actually just had our interview earlier today and we just went with whatever we have right now. The officer only asked for my husband 2018 tax return, and then she just asked if there is anything we would like to add to the application and I just gave our utility bills. Then she just looked at our wedding and recent pictures and asked us about our love story like how we met, etc. and verifying some information on the I-485 form. We got approved right away. 😁

Sheesh, I love your interview experience.   I'm not particularly concerned, and feel we'll have more than enough evidence, but helpful to have that reinforced with stories like yours.  Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to hijack but we are trying to assemble what we need next month too- only problem I see at the moment:

NC will only give my wife an ID card good for like 3 months at a time due to her immigration status, her current card expires 8/10 and our interview is 8/21.  We've yet to update her german passport so her name is not right on the passport and we havent been able to use that for anything else.

Does she need an unexpired ID? It's really annoying to sit in the DMV to get an ID card especially when we'd have to go back again after she gets the actual green card

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Make good color laser copies of all of your important valuable documents. You know the ones, that would be very hard to replace. Place the originals in plastic presentation page protector sleeves. At the interview should they want to view a document, show them the original in the page protectors, and ask them to compare the original to the copy. Give them the copy, you still retaining the original.

Whatever you don't dig up now, save it all up for the ROC in a couple of years. Actually I usually recommend that after folks successfully get their 2-yr GC, and enjoy a respite from USCIS, get a shoe box of a file cabinet drawer. Over the 18 month hiatus, put any and all "marriage bonafides" (USCIS-speak, certainly not mine) evidence you come across.....leases, deeds, wills, trusts, DPOAs, joint about statements (basically anything joint), holiday cards, etc. You can sort through your accumulated evidence when you are starting to consider going to your ROC.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
9 hours ago, fondue said:

Sorry to hijack but we are trying to assemble what we need next month too- only problem I see at the moment:

NC will only give my wife an ID card good for like 3 months at a time due to her immigration status, her current card expires 8/10 and our interview is 8/21.  We've yet to update her german passport so her name is not right on the passport and we havent been able to use that for anything else.

Does she need an unexpired ID? It's really annoying to sit in the DMV to get an ID card especially when we'd have to go back again after she gets the actual green card

I would take marriage certificate that should count as a legal name change document.

ID even if expired take it with you and copy it too, the address is more important there. They use that usually to check if you both live in the same address. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 12:10 AM, Xunmd said:

Just almost 5 months. We got married February of this year. And yes, we do have pictures of family and friends and utility bills. Just worried about not having joint bank or insurance yet 🙁. I was hoping my ead/ssn could come first so my husband can add me but I guess its not the case for me. But ive read some got approved without it but I still worry lol. 

Hi, how long after the interview did your work authorization card came through?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.