Jump to content
emma44

2 years home requirement

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I am not that far away from scheduling my K1 interview but I have a big concern. Here is the thing: I found out that people who traveled to the usa with a j1 (exchange student) visa were subjected to the  « two years home  » law under certain circumstances, one of them being the government (of the usa  or our own country) funding the exchange. When I look on my visa and on my DS2019, they both say that the two years rule does not apply to me. I am still worried because when I was an exchange student, I recieved a scholarship from my own country. Isn’t a scholarship considered as a government funding ? I am super confused and scared that during the interview they say that this rule apply to me since I had a scholarship... 

thank you so much for the coming answers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should file for an advisory opinion from the State Department as to whether you are subject to the two-year HRR. 

 

I believe when they say government funding, they mean US government funding. But I'm not 100% on that. 

 

An advisory opinion would answer that question, however. 


Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

 

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

 

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If the visa itself and DS2019 mention two year requirement doesn’t apply, then you are good. Any other scholarships you get during the study doesn’t matter.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

.

.

.

.

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all of your answers. 

So, during the interview, to see if I am applying or not to the 2 years home law, are they only going to review the DS2019 and my visa ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, emma44 said:

Thank you for all of your answers. 

So, during the interview, to see if I am applying or not to the 2 years home law, are they only going to review the DS2019 and my visa ? 

It’s probably already in the system already. But those two documents are your proof that you are not subjected to the 2 year requirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

It’s probably already in the system already. But those two documents are your proof that you are not subjected to the 2 year requirement

Oh I see. So by the time they did my visa and DS2019, they probably already had it all figured it out in their system. But I’m guessing if I was applying to this two year rule, they wouldn’t let me take any steps further once they review my case for the interview or at least I hope they wouldn’t. 

Once again thank you so much for your patience and answers:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Immigration wise it looks like you have nothing to worry about. That being said, I know that in my country the funding agency can take action against you (asking for a reimbursement, for instance), since they agreed to pay for your studies on the prerrogative you would return to your home country and make their investment in you worth it. Make sure to double check the terms of your scholarship to see if you haven't violated them, and prepare accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

Immigration wise it looks like you have nothing to worry about. That being said, I know that in my country the funding agency can take action against you (asking for a reimbursement, for instance), since they agreed to pay for your studies on the prerrogative you would return to your home country and make their investment in you worth it. Make sure to double check the terms of your scholarship to see if you haven't violated them, and prepare accordingly.

Thank you for your answer. I don’t know if that can help, but I was an exchange student in high school, so when I left my country I was minor. So officially my mother paid for my travel and when I got my scholarship, she is the one who got the money. Do you think I should go ahead and ask them if I violated their rule and if not, for them to write a paper to potentially show to the embassy during the interview ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, emma44 said:

Thank you for your answer. I don’t know if that can help, but I was an exchange student in high school, so when I left my country I was minor. So officially my mother paid for my travel and when I got my scholarship, she is the one who got the money. Do you think I should go ahead and ask them if I violated their rule and if not, for them to write a paper to potentially show to the embassy during the interview ?

I doubt the embassy would have any issues with the terms of your scholarship, especially if you were underage. I thought you were talking about Higher Education, whose terms are much more enforceable because the investment is usually higher.

 

Checking the terms of your scholarship is something you should do for your own peace of mind, or in that case, your mother's. As to your visa interview, if you have already checked that your J1 had the requirement waived, I don't see it becoming an issue in the future.

 

Good luck with your K1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, Nat&Amy said:

I doubt the embassy would have any issues with the terms of your scholarship, especially if you were underage. I thought you were talking about Higher Education, whose terms are much more enforceable because the investment is usually higher.

 

Checking the terms of your scholarship is something you should do for your own peace of mind, or in that case, your mother's. As to your visa interview, if you have already checked that your J1 had the requirement waived, I don't see it becoming an issue in the future.

 

Good luck with your K1.

Hi!

i have updates. I emailed the organisation who gave me the scholarship and they answered me that they talked about it with their supervisor and they concluded that they did not know how their agency could make me stay or no in the country for 2 years with some type of requirement. I guess since they have no idea about this rule, it is not in their policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...